User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 1
Lava Lake
 Views: 290
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.97
Posted by Twisty
Aug 16, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 80
Posted by Richo73
Today
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

New to the forum by CampinMomma
[Today at 09:45:05 PM]

1994 Starcraft - need keys by Strut
[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

How far can you tow a popup? by Inthepink721
[Today at 09:41:44 PM]

Maryland Rally by BALTIBCAMPER
[Today at 09:40:54 PM]

2nd annual rally in the forest - Cooks forest state park by crosbys2008
[Today at 09:40:51 PM]

How on God's green earth does this stuff happen!? by Jflyboym
[Today at 09:39:00 PM]

Maiden Voyage by FL_Bill
[Today at 09:38:40 PM]

New from Belle River(Windsor), ON, Canada by Riddler
[Today at 09:35:39 PM]

So what did you do for your camper, sept 2014? by 3hooligans
[Today at 09:33:02 PM]

Pine Haven CG in Wentworth by msbrown253
[Today at 09:28:27 PM]

Water in bunk ends by tombiasi
[Today at 09:22:17 PM]

Bayley's Campground Pine Point, ME by kmaxxxx
[Today at 09:20:56 PM]

PopupGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Tin can Wifi dish ( how to )  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Bigpineguy

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Tin can Wifi dish ( how to )
« on: December 29, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
C/P from some old how to's I have already on my PC :

Build A Tin Can Waveguide WiFi Antenna In One Hour. Extreemly Powerful range extender signal booster

Extend range boost signal with NO Coax db Loss and Plenty of GAIN. Then put it on a 18" inch direct tv dish, (optional).

(This is very simple and most can build this very easily)
Build A Tin Can Waveguide WiFi Antenna Without Coax Loss In One Hour. Then put it on a 18" inch direct tv dish for even more distance.

Homebrew 2.4 Ghz WiFi waveguide antenna for 802.11(b or g) Wireless LAN Networks or other 2.4GHz Applications.

This design works so well because it is so simple. There is no coax loss because there is no coax ! The only thing that exits this WLAN antenna is a USB cable. I do not have to give up any db gain to my feedline. 2.4ghz is very lossy in coax.

This is an un-scientific discussion based on my observations and experience with building 1.2ghz waveguides for my past AMATEUR TELEVISION stations.

The WLAN device I chose for this project antenna was the D-Link DWL-G120 54Mbps Wireless-G USB Adapter. I chose it because it has a FLIP UP ANTENNA that I could slide directly into a waveguide can. NO COAX!

So far I can connect and stay connected to WAP wifi HOTSPOTS 3/4 mile away at 24mbs daytime and 54mbs at night when my host's bandwidth increases due to less traffic. Now those are the only locations I have identified. I get several open wifi networks from here, but do not know where they are. My antenna may work past 3/4 mile.

My Wireless-G USB Adapter out of the box claims a range of Indoors: Up to 328 feet (100 meters) and Outdoors: Up to 1,312 feet (400 meters)

This antenna has a gain of at least 3dbd, (x 2 power). So 1,312 ft. x 2 = 2,624 ft. Long distance hotspot LAN access. I think I am doing 4,000 feet so far. Another factor that is equally important is the NOISE LEVEL.

All the unwanted network signals swamping the receiver's front end cause LINK DROPOUTS. This waveguide reduces the noise level allowing me to hold the more distant hotspots I aim at and null the others.

A LEAP FORWARD TO EVEN HIGHER POWER. The next step. Amplify signal to waveguide with a satellite dish. Reason? I lost my origional wifi hotspot. The waveguide alone would not link to a more distant MUCH WEAKER WAP. I needed to extend my range and boost my signal.

This antenna is in use and aimed out and through my radio room window. It is currently aimed at a distant high speed system router BEYOND THE BARELY VISIBLE TREE LINE in the top horizon below the mountains past all visible buildings as you can see in 2nd photo. It is a free public wifi system, but I am over a mile out of cantanna usable range. This dish did the trick.

Here is the same waveguide cut down to 3 1/4 inches to capture the focal point of an 18 inch Directv dish. NOW, IT IS NO LONGER A WAVE GUIDE. IT HAS BECOME A BACKFIRE FEED. I HAD NO ROOM TO USE THE MORE EFFICIANT ORIGIONAL GUIDE LENGTH WITHOUT BUILDING A NEW MOUNT SET BACK TO COLLECT ALL ANGLES OF THE DISH'S REFLECTION. The focal point maximum illumination must be at the entrance of feed can, not the antenna inside. Before I cut the old wave guide post off the origional factory tv lnb feed, I measured the focal point to the metal entrance under the plastic cup. I had to maintain that distance. The focal point remains constant inspite of frequency change. It really works well, grabbing links that the can alone was unable. Some day if I need even more gain, I will rebuild the mount and utilize the full length wave guide. This works so well, I do not see any need for a re-work.

I chose a USB device that could attach to the feed horn to bypass the need for a lossy coax cable to a wifi device away from antenna. Even a couple of feet of coax at this frequency, (2.4 ghz) will severely diminish the signal, makeing the dish a useless waste of time. There is no meaningful loss in a usb cable to computer under 16' runs or 80' with repeater cables end to end. I am running 32 feet of USB REPEARER CABLE now. I AM DELIGHTED WITH MY NEW HIGH SPEED CONNECTION. VERY STRONG RELIABLE SIGNAL. Solid Full-smash connection.

This works Great, can be set up really easy on or outside your camper

2000 Bantam Trail-Lite ( Hybrid )
1994 Ford E-150 Conversion Van
1996 Dutchmen 801 series ( The Duck ) - Sold

Offline HenryJ

• Camper, 1st Class
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • BLT Offroad E1
Re: Tin can Wifi dish ( how to )
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »
Here is a simple Parabolic trough antenna: Indestructables.com Antenna Template.PDF

I had to make a couple this past weekend to boost the signal across the road for a friend. Cut it out of a cracker box and covered with foil. Gained three bars and enough to stay connected. Worked just great.

Cardboard alone is enough to direct the signal, however better performance may be seen using a foil or aluminum reflector. The Wifi signal is pretty easily reflected. Experiment with what you have available. Rotate the emitter too. The pattern is rarely symmetrical. I have a thin aluminum reflector set up around one side of my modem at home. This reflects the signal outside enough to cover my driveway and keep the vehicles laptop happily connected.

http://www.freeantennas.com/ was a great place to find the templates. Windsurfer parabolic reflector was the first I used.
Lots of broken links on their page now I see.
"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!

Offline Bigpineguy

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
Yeah, Most of those worked best on a router / repeater ...if you are using DD-WRT, Tomato, or openwrt firmware on a router, you can use any of those to boost a signal...

I have a 15DBI Grid directional WiFi Attn. that I am going to mount on my PUP, using pipe brackets with a "painters" pole that will extend and collapse as needed to get more height ( better view, better signal ) running a Linksys 54g router with DD-WRT firmware set up as a repeater/4 port hub ...which means, that I will be able to pick up the "campgrounds" wifi , and turn it into my own network and even "rebroadcast" the signal to anyone close to my site, which will benefit my neighbors, making them more friendly to us :)
 We also have a portable Projector that we plan to take, and use our Netflix account to show movies ...

BPG~

Offline bondo54

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
Has any one use on of these and how well did it work? http://www.betterwifirange.com/id81.html
First PUP 1968 Wheel Camper
Current PUP 1997 Coleman Westlake http://1997colemanwestlake.shutterfly.com/

Offline aslag

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Trailer Mods
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
I use one of these POWERLINK Wireless 11N Ultra Long Distance Indoor and Outdoor Wireless USB Adapter and have had impressive results.

I've been able to connect to networks in the town shown in the background of this photo, which is about 2 miles away.
2007 Flagstaff 228D
2001 Chev Silverado Z71

Offline Bigpineguy

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
@ Bondo, that would help make your signal better, but only if you at least have a "weak" signal, that would give you a better signal, but if you don't pick up anything for a signal, probably won't help you then....

@ aslag: I have installed many of those, they work great, nice and flat.... Are you running any kind of inline amp ? I have got up to 8 miles with a 2 watt amp : http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-inline-amplifier.php

got up to 13 miles while out on the open water on a boat ( we were testing for marina sales )

BPG~

Offline bondo54

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
@ Bondo, that would help make your signal better, but only if you at least have a "weak" signal, that would give you a better signal, but if you don't pick up anything for a signal, probably won't help you then....

@ aslag: I have installed many of those, they work great, nice and flat.... Are you running any kind of inline amp ? I have got up to 8 miles with a 2 watt amp : http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-inline-amplifier.php

got up to 13 miles while out on the open water on a boat ( we were testing for marina sales )

BPG~

2 different campground I stay at I'm about 100 yards away and flat ground but have a very weak signal just barely one bar. Can get on but dropped often.
First PUP 1968 Wheel Camper
Current PUP 1997 Coleman Westlake http://1997colemanwestlake.shutterfly.com/

Offline aslag

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Trailer Mods
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »

BPG~

No amp, got it to connect to a weak wifi at the campgrounds store which is about a 100 yards from our campsite. With this adapter I no longer have any problems with the campground network. As a bonus I found I was receiving a good signal from a couple networks across the water even with this antenna pointed the opposite direction.
2007 Flagstaff 228D
2001 Chev Silverado Z71

Offline Bigpineguy

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
@ bondo: that link that you posted would work fine for you, I would recommend getting a usb "extention" cord, and run the cord just outside your pup, and then attach the attn. with this http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html
use that as a template and cut it out of a piece of cardboard, and then glue foil to it, and then attach it on the attn. you will jump to 4 bars...easy...

Offline Bigpineguy

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
A pretty nice read and find for those wanting an inexpensive fix:

http://wifisavvy.com/2007/08/03/the-1-best-thing-to-improve-your-wi-fi-internet-connection/