User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 276
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Wildernest! I finally found one of my own!
I've been searching for a Wildernest, on and off, for a few years now. Almost bought one (which was sort of falling apart)...but glad I held out for this beauty! I LOVE it! Anyone else here have one...or have any information and/or pictures to share?
 Views: 217
Posted by Martypants
Sep 06, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: stepper door lock replacement  (Read 1943 times)

Offline marniemoo

• Tenderfoot
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
stepper door lock replacement
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Hi y'all,

We went camping last year about 5 hours away from home and didn't realize we forgot the keys to the stepper door lock until we tried to make camp. We tried to break in ourselves, but that lock is very strong! We were able to crank up the tent  part and open the beds. I just hung a beach towel in front of the door and we stepped over the step for 5 days. Our little six year old had to be lifted but then she figured out how to climb.

So we got home and the lock was so damaged from our break in attempts that the key doesn't work. Summer's coming and I need to get this thing fixed! The king size bed in the trailer is better than the one in my bedroom!!

Anyone have any idea how to replace the stepper lock and where to buy a new one? I have a 1984 Coleman Royale tent trailer.

Thanks!

Santa Cruz Mountain Chick

Offline ghacker

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: stepper door lock replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:31 AM »
Welcome to the Portal.

BeckleysRV in MD had some of that lock last summer. If they're out, try Ketelsens Campers in CO. I bought one as a backup thinking they might be tough to get. IIRC, some members have replaced that mechanism with a garage door T-handle lock. If you're a gamblin' man you might try this. Don't know the dimensions but it looks like it.

If it ever happens again in the future. You might keep in mind that there are only 2 different keys used for the stepper door lock. If you were to ask other Coleman owners at a campground, odds are it won't take you long to find yours. FYI, many have reported that the lock will accept many keys from that blank regardless of how they're cut.

How did you damage the lock? I.E. what did you do to try to get the door open? Not a locksmith, but my guess is you'll have to drill out the lock so you can turn the handle. After that you take the door off and drill out the rivets to gain access to the lock.

You might want to go to here and download the parts manual for your PUP. It'll at least give you an idea of what's there. Other members here or on PUX have pics detailing their repair. Try some search terms and you should get some hits.
'06 Bayside
'13 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Offline Shaman1

• Eagle Camper
    • OK [OK]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
Frequently, it's a simple cylinder lock & the mechanism can be replaced with a door or cabinet lock found at Home Depot.  Just make sure you use the long locking "rod" from the original.
2006 Ram 2500
89 Coleman Newport

Offline madreloco

• Tenderfoot
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
I have been working on this pop up for 2 weeks..and have almost decided not to buy, due to the ceiling cover is pulling away, it belongs to a friend..but i have to replace the step door lock, i was looking at garage door handles also, because of the  60.00 cost, can you please give me more instructions on how to replace orig lock with garage door handle(which one)..im kinda handy, but need help with this..thanks

Offline airmech2210

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »
call a Locksmith. You want the door to be fixed right.
2000 Coleman Utah 2006 Ford Expedition Limited
ME, DW, DD - 9, DS - 7, DS - 5, and Loki the dog (AKA blockhead)

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
   [:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy camping, enjoy.  [CP]  What is wrong with the lock?
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline ghacker

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:44:30 AM »
I haven't had to do the repair myself but I do know you have to drill out the rivets on the door and gently pry the walls apart to access the lock. Since it's locked in place, that's going to be a problem. As I mentioned earlier, my guess is the lock would have to be drilled out so you can turn the mechanism and lower the door so you can replace the lock the traditional way.

How did you damage the lock trying to break in? A pic would be helpful.

Hopefullly this will give you an idea of how it goes. 
'06 Bayside
'13 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
 If it just locked and you do not have a key just get a locksmith or neighborhood crook to pick the lock ....  Many of the keys are all the same. My toolbox key fit my Jayco lock and my 2000 Coleman uses a common 8025 key.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Fountain Lake Sportsmens Club
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Not to be nitpicky but...you borrowed the PUP ,broke the lock and are now complaining that it is going to cost $60 to replace the lock ? No wonder so many on here refuse to let someone borrow theirs.You can get the lock cheaper ($45 was the highest I had seen) man up and fix it right ...or buy it and cobble it back together but don't give it back to your friend that way

Sent from my rooted Inspire
One Fish, Two Fish. I fish. You Fish ?
1998 Coleman/Fleetwood Sun Ridge - Papa's Ark
2000 Ford F150 crew cab -F/V Shoreline II

Offline WConke

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:03:30 AM »
My 88 Plantation came without a key. I removed mine after picking it myself. Googled lock picking and it took less than 5 min to get in. I then drilled out all the rivets and took the top part of the step off. Rivets and guns are cheap. Then you can undo the nut from the linkage and then the bolts holding the lock to the door. Most older rv shops have a bucket of keys and I was in process of looking through when a nice gentleman with a 60s airstream put his key in the lock just for giggles and it worked! he had 2 spares and I offered 5 bucks for one and he took it.

Offline madreloco

• Tenderfoot
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
 ok...didn't borrow the pup, he told me to take it and to open it up and see if everything was ok, he hadn't opened in 3 years, it had been setting out in pasture?  he lost the keys and couldn't find the title..he had to drill out the key section so we could open it up...I was trying to fix it so it would NOT be so expensive since it needed new canvas and all, anyways. I'm not good at this writing stuff and its my first time with camper...i appreciate all the comments and help, but i have been all over fort worth and the cheapest is 59.. and one was 69..found on eBay for 54 and bought it...i was just needing a way to put different handle so we could open and shut it, since people said it doesn't matter if it has a lock or not, if someones gonna break in they will Thru the canvas..   thank you for your input..  hacksaw, i sent you a personal msg..

single grandmother trying to  enjoy life.. [{}=]

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:40 PM »
Again sorry i misinterpreted the situation. I know you bought a lock already but here is the most expensive direct replacement I had seen http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=256

here is the cheapest

http://www.colemanfoldingcampers.com/coleman-parts-contact.html
Just so you know the above link isn't Coleman it is Beckleys RV in MD who bought out most of the Coleman NOS parts when they closed.

Offline bluezxracer

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
I have a 91 Coleman Columbia, and I want to know if the key is supposed to turn the tumbler without the door locked? I don't want to lock the door, and not be able to unlock it as I need it this weekend. It is usable now, but the handle will turn enough to allow the door to potentially open while on the highway. Not what anyone wants to see!

Offline BillNH60

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NH [NH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
Mine was trashed by PO and I just drilled the tumbler out and put in anew one from a dealer, pretty much standard, cost less than ten bucks to change and get new keys for the other 2 locks. There is an old and new key. Opening the door body to reach the back of the mechanism is the most time consuming, I had to rebuild the outside of the door bedause the PO used a tire iron to get it open and get in(Laconia bike week/rainy night)
Bill, 92 coleman Shenandoah
04 Dodge Dakota

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
BillNH60 can you post a picture of your step door lock...Yours sounds way different than the 2 Colemans I have had (89 Columbia and 98 Sunridge)