User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 161
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Views: 172
Posted by Richo73
Sep 01, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

How on God's green earth does this stuff happen!? by BigBaron
[Today at 02:45:43 AM]

Any other single parents pup camping? by ktsmom
[Today at 02:40:08 AM]

I'm so cheap..... by ktsmom
[Today at 02:26:12 AM]

How low should I go? by katherine726
[Today at 02:24:47 AM]

My old pup on craigslist vancouver by tanyaewa
[Today at 02:20:16 AM]

Skidaway Island State Park, Savannah Georgia by katherine726
[Today at 01:57:52 AM]

Electrical issue by Berliner
[Today at 01:27:32 AM]

Copperhead by jumpingtadpoles
[Today at 01:26:15 AM]

rockwood hw 256 by GalsofEscape
[Today at 01:12:08 AM]

New to the forum from Spokane, Washington by AzSunshine
[Today at 01:12:05 AM]

North Grand Canyon Rally Photos by eckertsbrew
[Today at 12:56:45 AM]

Out with the GoPro by Yak
[Today at 12:47:48 AM]

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: How long does it take you to take down your Popup camper? How many helpers?  (Read 7510 times)

Offline Halford

• Star Camper
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Hey, it took me like 3 hours to take down my Coleman Key West... had to take off the Gizmo covers inside and outside, and folded them.   cleaned out for my next trip.   I took out my Igloo 3.4 cubit fridge/freezer (bought from WalMart) and put it in my Explorer.     I had my 11 yr old son help me out.   

How long would it take you to take down and how you did it little more quicker?   
[TV] 1998 Ford Explorer
[PU] 2002 Coleman Niagara
[PU] 1996 Coleman Key West

Offline Snow

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
Do you have to remove you Gizmo's ??   if they can and you leave them on that should shave a good chunk of time off both your set up and set down times ...   

Craig
[:D] Me, [::)] DW, [8D] DS1, [8D] DS2, [}:)] Da Dog.
2005 Outback 21RS Pushing a 2012  Dodge Ram. 2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline carolina campers

• Eagle Camper
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Take-down for us is usually a two-hour process.  DH does all the outside tasks, while I take care of the inside.  Everything gets cleaned well and properly stored.  By doing this, our set-up now takes us only 35-45 minutes.
Chuck, Shelly, and our three campin' doxies
TVs: '11 Nissan Frontier
PUP:'02 Rockwood Freedom 1980; TT: '12Coachmen Apex 22QBS

Offline Halford

• Star Camper
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Snow, I wasn't sure if I should leave it on or not..  its my first time using Gizmo covers...    you leave the inside ones also?   
[TV] 1998 Ford Explorer
[PU] 2002 Coleman Niagara
[PU] 1996 Coleman Key West

Offline Eanddrice

• Camper, 1st Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
 [A] Last weekend, DW and I started folding down and it took 35 minutes from start to being hooked up and ready to pull out.  We have a routine that we have developed.  It don't take us along time to setup or fold down.
Eric & Debbie
'03 F-150, 2007 Keystone Passport

Offline Snow

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
Snow, I wasn't sure if I should leave it on or not..  its my first time using Gizmo covers...    you leave the inside ones also?

I never had any on the pup when we had it ,,  I know others just leave them on,  some have done a velcro mod that makes it real quick to install or remove the Gizmo's .. 

Do you have the interior Gizmo's too or are you using the reflectix in the windows ???  if it is the reflectix, then yes you have to remove those ... 

Here is an example of one type of Gizmo mod for a faster install and removal .. 

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/138384706LKczRy
Craig
[:D] Me, [::)] DW, [8D] DS1, [8D] DS2, [}:)] Da Dog.
2005 Outback 21RS Pushing a 2012  Dodge Ram. 2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline aslag

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Trailer Mods
It takes my wife and I along with our teenage son about an hour and that includes taking the front wheels off a couple of bikes and putting them on the bike rack. Most all our camping gear, clothes and food is kept in large Rubbermaid containers and our tow vehicle is a truck so packing is pretty easy (lots of room). We sweep and clean so if it the PUP is dry when closed it up it we don't raise the roof until the next trip. We don't keep anything in the PUP that can't be reached with the roof down beside stuff that's stored in there all season. I do have outside Gizmos as well.
2007 Flagstaff 228D
2001 Chev Silverado Z71

Offline Travelhoveler

• Eagle Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Those of us with a-frame pups love that it only takes one person 30 seconds or a minute to fold down and hitch up.  Of course, it takes us the same amount of time as anyone to put away chairs, gear, etc.

It's not a race or anything, but for those of us that move from park to park or overnight on long trips, fast set up and take down times are a real advantage.  There are trade-offs (like having less room of course), but it's the main thing I love about our pup.
Richard and Moonbeams
2008 Chalet Arrowhead, the Hovel, Too  [ALPU]
Nights camped 2013: 99/Nights camped 2014 so far: 0

Offline sturedman

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
With our Viking 1706, it takes us about 25 mins to get ready to pull out of the site.  I thought it would take a couple of hours, but after only 2 trips, we got it together lol
1999 Viking 1706
2007 Chevy Trailblazer

Offline fmbhappycamper

• Cobalt
  • Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
I can set-up/down in 1/2 hour if needed, faster if it's raining [8D] However, I love to bring stuff and will take longer to set up camp if I can, with time off work [:D]
happy camping
03 Qwest by Jayco
94 Chevy Blazer

Offline disp44

• Camper, 1st Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
It normally takes about an hour but today about 3 hours, 4 bottles of water and help from my grandson.  Oh did I mention it was 90 degrees out and I'm not as young as I use to be.  Thanks Skylor.

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Total breakdown time on the TrailManor, inside and outside, is 8.5 minutes.  However, beyond that there is is the issue of putting things like coffee pots, clothing, folding chairs, etc., away before you can break down and then the outside stuff like raising the stabs, coupling, etc.  These things are necessary with any type of trailer.  One thing that helps is to stow as much of the odds and ends as possible the night before.  I can drive away 40 minutes after I get out of bed if I am in a hurry.  I have no helpers. 
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline nomorecoop

• Camper, 1st Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
About 2 hours...with 2 kids...ages 4 and 20 months.

Offline kjcamper

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
I have set up in 20 minutes on an overnight stop and closed up in about 30 min same trip when leaving in morning. Last summer my wife and I set up in about 45 minutes on a 4 day stay and we closed up in about 45 minutes when we left Monday afternoon. We try to keep things simple on our setup, but when we encounter rain on the set up or take down we really try and move fast and I never timed it but my wife said it took us less than 15 minutes to set up in a downpour 2 summers ago but DD was with us so maybe. If it is nice out I take my time and usually tell DW and DD to go to the pool and let me alone and then it takes about 2 hours and 3 beers to put up.  [:D]
Kerry - 1957 Debbie - 1957 [DS - 1986 DDIL - 1990 ]         DD - 1994
2002 Chevy Trailblazer & 1999 Dodge Durango
2006 Flagstaff 625D

Offline rms62003

• Camper, 1st Class
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Yikes, a lot of times on this thread are longer than I usually take. Single, no kids, so a minimal amount of toys.  Do have canines, but they just need hooking up to a sturdy piece of equipment at the campsite while I'm prepping the popup. 
First time out, alone, took about an hour, including moving all supplies into the popup.  At that time, I didn't have my grey water tank, so second time, with grey water tank took about the same, although I had a lot of supplies in the popup.  I also had a hard time with the inside bedend supports (now learned to not snug down the outside until I get these up.) Also added chocks, 2x6 under stabilizers, and using a level for the front wheel. (Next time, will also have my BAL to set up.)
What takes people the longest to get set up?  I don't see it taking more than an hour from unhooking my popup to relaxing, even though I'm by myself. Granted, I've not gotten my awning out yet, or my outside grill.

CampsitePhotos.com is your source to check out pictures of campsites at many of the more popular campgrounds throughout the United States including State Parks, National Parks, and other campgrounds.