User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Fall Camping
Fall Camping at Algonac State Park (Wagon Wheel Campsite #368) October 4th 2013.
 Views: 39
Posted by lazydays
Apr 19, 2014
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

FL camping trip March 2014 001
 Views: 37
Posted by woodosgood
Mar 31, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Weekend camping warriors by Glamping Grandma
[Today at 01:40:59 AM]

2002 Viking Part - where to find? by EK41
[Today at 01:26:47 AM]

A few newb questions by RMRayl
[Today at 01:21:19 AM]

Grrr... by pckeen
[Today at 01:02:22 AM]

New User by popup_pete
[Today at 12:56:43 AM]

Coleman lift system clicking but not lifting by pckeen
[Today at 12:50:14 AM]

How does a Coleman / Fleetwood Lifter Post Work by pckeen
[Today at 12:36:15 AM]

What was your best MOD so far? by Creeppingcharlie
[Today at 12:29:30 AM]

Trailer Brakes by LjohnSaw
[Today at 12:25:10 AM]

Electrical outlet cover plates for E1, E2, E3, E4 Owners by Creeppingcharlie
[Today at 12:13:04 AM]

Progressive Dynamics PD-6882 by craigbaker
[Today at 12:03:05 AM]

Anyone use this style of LED lights? by Wrenchgear
[Yesterday at 11:57:46 PM]

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: My hitch is too low. Any ideas?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Zephrant

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
My hitch is too low. Any ideas?
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
My tow vehicle is a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT (5.9" ground clearance, AWD, 250 HP, auto, oversized brakes, rated to tow 3300 pounds, class 3 hitch, MaxBrake controller ). My POP is an 16' older Viking (I added electric drum brakes).

My problem is that the rear of my car is lower than desired when towing. With four of us in the car, I have to be very light in my trunk, and light on the tongue or I'll drag going in/out of gas stations and all.

So I bought a load leveling hitch setup, but I don't think I can get it to fit.
#1 The hitch is too thick, meaning that when I have the ball at about the right height, the bottom of the load leveling stinger is over an inch lower than the lowest point of the hitch on the car.
#2 I can't mount the frame clamps without moving the welded on battery holder.
#3 The trailer is riding high in front. While I could adjust that down lower, I'd have even less clearance.

Below are some pictures of the hitch and trailer. I figure I can cut off the excess stinger hanging below the load leveling portion, but even then, I think I'm too low.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use the regular hitch, that there is no way that I could use this load leveling package, but I wanted to ask to see if there are any other ideas.

Thanks for any suggestions-

(edit:  The high is a Draw-tite Weight Distribution Hitch (600 lb) with Trunnion Bars Part No: 7901)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:34:15 PM by Zephrant »

Offline KJcachers

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
My hitch is too low. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
You couldn't find a ball mount that rises enough to get your tongue up?
Any way to install rear air shocks or other suspension option to raise the rear under load?

Sent from my iPhone4
[PUT] 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab Hemi
2013 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
Nights Camped 2012 - 14

Offline BajaPup

• Life Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: My hitch is too low. Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »
Are you absolutely sure your car is rated to tow 3300 lbs? What's the tongue weight limit?

My 2006 Subaru Baja Sport with a manual transmission is rated for 2400 / 200 lbs.

Regardless of the hitch, I think you'll be happier with the trailer level than with the current attitude. I can tell a big difference in the amount and severity of trailer bobbing with the tongue too high. You could start a lengthy odyssey of suspension upgrades to the car and trailer, with no guarantee of success. Other than the occasional scuff, if it towed ok with your old setup, I'd return to that configuration.
2009 Coleman Yuma [PU][PUT] 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6

Offline chipperone1

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
 Here is a pic of a REESE MINI 350

Notice how the shank is reversed to yours - pointing up, and is closer to the hitch - I redrilled the hole, the ends of the bars sit on top of the frame and also provide sway control.

I have "flipped" the pup axle and upgraded the shocks/suspension and tires on the Explorer.

You are better suited to a MINI 350 than what you have now.

Offline rawlus

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
I cannot imagine 4 in the car plus gear plus trailer falls within spec for that sedan.

Online research says Subaru does not recommend towing with the legacys and if done, max is 2700lbs.

It's either too much trailer for the car you have or too little car for the trailer you have.

I think you'd be much happier and pull easier with a vehicle higher, with better tow capacity, more room for the 4 and flexibility to tow comfortably.

Offline BigDan

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »
i am sorry but i would have to agree with the others, the problem is not the hitch that is on the car, its the car.  most sedans are not rated to tow much over 1500 pounds.  i see that you have taken every precaution you can as far as stopping power and that is great but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it, the car is just to small for it.  the only alternative i can see with still using the car as the TV is to do as mentioned above and purchase a set of load leveling shocks or a set of air bags.  but on top of getting the car to ride level there are other concerns to think of like axle weight limits, bearing limits and all the other moving and non moving parts that are taking a beating.  This reminds me af something my dad used to say to me.  i am a pretty big guy (hence the name) and i can lift and carry a lot of weight.  and my dad used to always tell me "just because you can do it does not meen you should because you are gonna regret it later" and boy was the old man right.  so i am sorry to say it but i think that your biggest issue is that your car is just not big enought.
BigDan

Offline Zephrant

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
Two of the "4" are small kids, not adults.   You are correct on the towing capacity-  My mistake, I was remembering the number from another car.

Still it's 2700 pounds with a trailer that is rated at 1300 pounds dry, 2098 pounds  GVWR. It was the smallest, lightest pop-up I could find locally last year (used).

And yep, another tow vehicle would be a better plan, but that's not in the cards in the near future.

We took several trips last year, including one at about 1000 miles total (Oregon coast).  It tows very well when loaded properly, I just don't like the low ground clearance and the saggy back-end, so was was trying to fix that.

I'll look in to the Reese mini 350-  I tried to buy the smallest leveling kit I could find, but obviously missed that one.  Thanks!

Here is what it looks like with the old hitch setup.

Thanks for your concern and thoughts- please don't think I'm ignoring or making light of them.  I'm just trying to make the best of what I have available to me.

Offline BajaPup

• Life Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
The "before" photos look better, but only you know how it tows. How much does the car's rear end drop? In addition to the WDH, have you tried moving some weight aft in the trailer? I'd give that a try before exploring suspension upgrades.

Offline 01YZF6

• Eagle Camper
    • AL [AL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Camper, Mods, & Trips
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
I also agree the BEFORE pics look like a better towing setup...
[HY] 00' Aero Cub C230
[TV] 08' Trailblazer
[PU] 87 Coleman Newport (sold)

Offline Zephrant

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
chipperone1- Would you happen to know what stinger you are using with the 350?  I'm looking at trying to try to trade in what I've got for what you've got.
I'll need to move my swing-arm jack, but it's full of gravel anyway and I've wanted to replace it with a center-mount one for a while anyway.

I'm also looking in to air-bags/shocks for the car, but that's not an easy project. Thanks for that suggestion KJcachers and BigDan, I had not considered it.

Offline papachaz

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Pictures
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
ok, what you're calling the stinger, is what i've always called the ball mount. can that be turned over? it looks upside down to me. mine doesn't look like that on my WDH, it's turned the other way. yes the tension bars are going to be lower than the hitch, it's how they're designed, well most of the time.  i'd take that thing completely apart and see if i could flip it, it looks like it's put together upside down to me

i'm with the others, the before pics look much better than the after. remember nosing the pup UP like that will make it more prone to sway problems. but, with a single axle trailer it's not as important to keep it level as with a double axle trailer.
Charles & Jill, Happy Campers from NW GA
2003 Layton Scout 250 - TV - 95 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab 4x4
2012 camping - 37 nights

Offline campfreak

• Eagle Camper
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »
  The old setup with airbags sounds like the best way to go. Does  your TV owners manual say anything about using a WDH? That drawbar looks too long to me. Seems like its putting extra strain on a  car frame that probably shouldn't  have a WDH to begin with.  Just my  [2C].

Greg
2007 Fleetwood E-2
2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD

Offline Andromedarl

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AB [AB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
I feel your pain.. I think mine is really low and when I hook it up this weekend I'm going to take pics so I can ask questions on here. 

I also think that the original setup is better. From someone who doesn't know much, it just looks safer to me. I've also read in my manual(I think thats where, or on here) the tongue of the trailer should point down slightly towards the tv.  But I'm definitely no expert on this and as I said, i'll be seeking out advice too.
Me and my two darling girls (and all of their friends haha)

2005 Chevy Venture towing a 2003 Bonair 700

Offline Blkvoodoo

• Star Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • 2012 NC PopupPortal Rally. May 4-6 Medoc Mtn SP
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
Edit

I didn't see the pics of your first setup. which looks a lot safer, even without the WDH.

the Reese 350 may be the better option.
'12 Flagstaff 625D
'97 Toyota 4Runner <-- yeah, it's beige
....it's  like a kind of torture, to have to watch the show

Offline BajaPup

• Life Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 01:11:17 AM »
chipperone1- Would you happen to know what stinger you are using with the 350?  I'm looking at trying to try to trade in what I've got for what you've got.
I'll need to move my swing-arm jack, but it's full of gravel anyway and I've wanted to replace it with a center-mount one for a while anyway.

I'm also looking in to air-bags/shocks for the car, but that's not an easy project. Thanks for that suggestion KJcachers and BigDan, I had not considered it.
You may want to stick with a swing jack since ground clearance is already an issue. Buy a side winding, marine grade bolt-on and you'll be able to move it around as needed for whatever WDH you end up with. etrailer has an excellent selection of tongue jacks, btw.

Bear Creek Canvas