User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 389
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

GNAT trailer at Dreher Island SP, SC
This is our trailer, a 5X8 cargo trailer we spent 8 months converting.  Hot/cold water, multimedia center, dining room converts to queen size bed.  A/C, full shower.
 Views: 88
Posted by rayisouttahere
Jul 28, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

PopupGizmos Solar Bunkend Covers
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Waterproof containers for cooler?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline mhc77

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Waterproof containers for cooler?
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
Every time I pack our food cooler, I seem to have water seeping into everything.  It makes me crazy.

Example...I'll will put hamburgers in a Tupperware container and then bag it with a Ziploc and water eventually leads to soggy burgers.

We do plan to switch to using more blocks of ice (or frozen water-filled milk jugs) to limit the amount of water in the cooler but wondering
what everyone here uses to keep their food fresh and dry??

Thanks in advance!
Mercedes
Mercedes
2007 Starcraft 13RT
2004 Ford Explorer XLT

Offline papachaz

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Pictures
Re: Waterproof containers for cooler?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
you can find waterproof bags back in the camping section at walmart, they've worked for us with mostly good results. the absolute best way is a foodsaver type vacuum sealer. we have one and it's also very good for buying bulk meat and separating and freezing the correct portions for us. and it enables you keep your meat frozen for a much longer time than just freezer bags.
Charles & Jill, Happy Campers from NW GA
2003 Layton Scout 250 - TV - 95 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab 4x4
2012 camping - 37 nights

Offline GA Judy

• Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Scent By Angels Pet Memorial Candles
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
On the bottom of the cooler, I use Glad rectangular storage containers that are the size of a loaf of bread (maybe 1 quart size), put ice in those, and then stack my food on top of the lids. Using frozen meat or other flat frozen foods also helps to layer the upper levels. If needed, add some smaller storage containers in between.

We also bought and use a thermoelectric cooler that plugs into the 12v car adapter (and later use it with an extension cord direct to the CG electric). That keeps everything cold and dry - no ice!  It also gives the camper's fridge time to chill and then we transfer the food since the ambient air temperature will decrease the temperature of the thermoelectric cooler by 20 degrees. Depending on the temp, we use both if we need to but not for foods like eggs or milk for temperature sensitive/health reasons.
Judy & Al, Dallas, GA
'09 TrailManor 2720

Offline Rockies Bill

• Life Camper
    • ID [ID]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »
We use "Lock & Lock" containers as sold on QVC. Never had a problem with water getting in and they come in all shapes and sizes.  [2C]
[PUT] '11 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
[PU] '12 Rockwood 2280BH

Offline Travelhoveler

• Eagle Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
I'll second the FoodSaver type bags.  That's the surefire way to keep water out of your groceries.  We usually make our dinners ahead and put them in the bags, then just heat the bags in boiling water and serve.  No cookware cleanup!
Richard and Moonbeams
2008 Chalet Arrowhead, the Hovel, Too  [ALPU]
Nights camped 2013: 99/Nights camped 2014 so far: 0

Offline GA Judy

• Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Scent By Angels Pet Memorial Candles
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »
We use the Food Saver bags as well and have the portable unit for taking food back home or using at camp (especially for chopped onions and wet food in the fridge). The portable one stays in the camper year long while the big one gets left at home like Cinderella!  [LOL]
Judy & Al, Dallas, GA
'09 TrailManor 2720

Offline Nascar Fan

• Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
We use lock&lock also. Some of the meat products, DW uses the food saver seal a meal thing and we don't get any soggy items.
Gary & Colleen
2011 GMC Savannah
2005 Rockwood Freedom

Offline daveo1289

• Life Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »
We pre-freeze the food we can and use the "Foodsaver" bags to store it in. But we also us the locking containers at times.

Offline Travelhoveler

• Eagle Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
As I noted above, we use the FoodSaver bags for keeping items dry.  We do use locking containers as well to organize things in the cooler, but we have found the gaskets aren't 100% reliable and water can still get in sometimes.  If it can't get wet, it goes in a FoodSaver bag.
Richard and Moonbeams

Offline novagirl

• Eagle Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
another lock n lock fan here. they have a silicone seal under the lid that keeps out water. they are great!
1986 Starcraft Nova 24 (Sold but not forgotten)
2010 Jayco 28BHS
2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4

Offline mhc77

• Camper, 1st Class
    • AZ [AZ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
Ok just ordered the Lock&Lock set from Amazon and it will be here before our next trip (Amazon Prime is the BEST!).

I will talk to hubby and maybe get a foodsaver before our August trip.  There are so many different ones that I will need to spend some time on that decision.

Thanks again!
Mercedes
Mercedes
2007 Starcraft 13RT
2004 Ford Explorer XLT

Offline kitphantom

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
We do several things. Some things brought from home, such as frozen chili, are in Foodsaver bags. We have some of those boxes with the silicone seals, too. Many things are either double bagged or in a container in a Ziploc freezer bag; we've found freezer weight works best. Squeezing as much air out as possible helps, though it is not a total answer. We keep some things in the upper regions of the ice, so they are not sitting in the water.
For us, we still prefer cubed ice, things seem to stay colder (esp. over several days), so there is water in the bottom of the cooler. Some people think block ice works better, or they keep the ice in containers. We don't have space to freeze containers of ice, and block ice is not always available when we need to restock on a trip. When I was a kid, my mother kept the ice in containers in the cooler, so learning to deal with the water issue took a while for me.
Andrea & Courtenay [PU] 2010 Cobalt; TV: [TV] 2005 4Runner
'13: 51 nights/8 trips
'14: 20 nights camped/5 trips, 24 more planned/2 trips

Offline papachaz

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Pictures
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
Ok just ordered the Lock&Lock set from Amazon and it will be here before our next trip (Amazon Prime is the BEST!).

I will talk to hubby and maybe get a foodsaver before our August trip.  There are so many different ones that I will need to spend some time on that decision.

Thanks again!
Mercedes

mercedes, there are lots of different options on the foodsavers, to me, the biggest difference is do you want to marinate with it or not. if you mariate a good bit when you cook, then that can come in handy. we bought the cheapest one, and even it has the tube to use with the containers. also, you can get bags that you can reseal and use more than once. those would be the ones i'd prefer for camping.  you'd just need to take the unit with you so you could reseal after taking out your portion
Charles & Jill, Happy Campers from NW GA
2003 Layton Scout 250 - TV - 95 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab 4x4
2012 camping - 37 nights

Offline Travelhoveler

• Eagle Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
I'm not very impressed with the resealable zipper bags for the FoodSaver.  You need a special adapter for the sealing machines, and they're expensive.  If we're going to reuse something, we just make a larger bag (making your own from the rolls is much cheaper and only takes a few seconds), then cut away the top and reseal.

For camping, I'd recommend the smallest model, unless one has lots of space in a motorcoach, etc.
Richard and Moonbeams

Offline Sharon

• Eagle Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:13 PM »
I use the Lock and Lock in the cooler as well and love them.  Even bought a small one to put my cell phone in while we are canoeing.

And I use my food saver to marinate. And keep my salad from sams club fresh in those big food saver containers. I got them for $3 each at the good will. Great price and so worth it.

Sharon
Sharon & Robert------Dover,FL ---2014 Coachman 192 RBS 50th Annv. Edition
2010 F150 4x4 and 1995 F150
http://campingandgardening.blogspot.com/