User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 994
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 20141123 134829449
 Views: 56
Posted by jswalton84
Nov 23, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Noob in FL by jeffandeb
[Today at 06:41:03 PM]

Hello from Florida by Raycfe
[Today at 06:30:17 PM]

Our Thanksgiving trip to Arkansas and Mississippi by unclemark
[Today at 06:20:28 PM]

Portal Gift Shop 30% off code BLKFRI by PopUpSteve
[Today at 05:46:19 PM]

Space Heater - for a 12' pop up camper by Nandy
[Today at 05:42:08 PM]

Bike Recommendations Needed by Djo
[Today at 05:38:04 PM]

Fridge Still Won't Work Right on Propane by Ryanincc
[Today at 05:22:19 PM]

Tenderfoot is Accurate by DenverJohn
[Today at 05:21:14 PM]

Hello from Chicago, IL by vagov
[Today at 05:00:00 PM]

Coleman/Fleetwood Evolution owners? E1/E2/E3 by HiFiDave
[Today at 04:23:07 PM]

Hello from Texas! by cds0103
[Today at 04:14:27 PM]

What'your favorite Thanksgiving Pie? by RockyRoo
[Today at 03:22:42 PM]

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: roof AC on pop up.....  (Read 1430 times)

Offline grumpy of ohio

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
roof AC on pop up.....
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
New member, just joined and am seeking info on my pop up....just purchased a Coleman 1996 Fleetwood Laredo Pop Up......I've scoured the internet looking for an answer to, can this pop up roof support an A/C unit??

The inside roof, rear portion has 4 plastic dots, 14" square located behind interior light.....roof seems quite heavy, but it might be from the Aluma coating someone else applied.....I can find no answer to if the roof will support the weight, I don't believe the roof is ABS plastic (hard to tell with the coating) but a small nick seems to show aluminum.....any help would be appreciated.....

We golden agers, been thru the tent, then motorhome, pull along trailer and now pop up camper.....Ihave a Dometic air unit from my pull along and would like to install it on my PUP.....anyone have a clue....even to what the 4 plastic dots on the ceiling mean....thanks......

I have  no problems cutting a hole and doing the wiring for an AC unit, been a millright/electrician all my life.....just unsure of the roof and weight.....

Online Camp-N-Nuts

• Eagle Camper
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: roof AC on pop up.....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
There should be a cover plate on the wall that says, "Pre-wired for A/C". Your year should have it. Not sure about the four dots...but someone here will know!  [:D]
Alan~Jane~the Crew! :kiss: :tongue: :kiss: [DOG]
'97 Dutchmen 801
If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around...is he still wrong?

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
14x14" is the standard size cutout for most rooftop ACs so I'd be inclined to think that those are marking the best place to cut for the install.
2006 Fleetwood Evolution E2
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline Alberto

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
The 14x14 is for the ac I got the same thing on my Coleman.There should be a suppert bar going a cross the front of it for the ac.
Ford f150 2008
Colemen Cheyenne 2001

Online Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »
 [:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy and safe camping, have fun and enjoy.  [CP] here is a link to the parts catalog. http://www.wegocamping.com/page/coleman-parts-books-folding-trailers  The Destiny series did not use an ABS roof.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline grumpy of ohio

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:30 AM »
Thanks so far for all the responses...nothing definitive though...could of and should of does not make cutting a hole easy....

No markings on a wall ( but what wall , sides are cloth) ceiling rear drivers side has sticker for emergency exit!!

The 4 plastic like screw covers (dots) are in the rear portion of the ceiling , 14" square, center of ceiling and the roof does have a rib down its center , front to rear.... Still going to hold off cutting a hole but if worse comes with definite answer....I can cut the hole and install a ceiling vent....

Still hoping for a definite answer  but thank l who responded....will keep checking back!

Online Camp-N-Nuts

• Eagle Camper
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:51:29 AM »
Thanks so far for all the responses...nothing definitive though...could of and should of does not make cutting a hole easy....

No markings on a wall ( but what wall , sides are cloth) ceiling rear drivers side has sticker for emergency exit!!

On my unit there is an electrical blank plate opposite the door side of the camper. It is labeled "pre-wired for A/C". (about 2 ft from the floor)  [PU]
Alan~Jane~the Crew! :kiss: :tongue: :kiss: [DOG]
'97 Dutchmen 801
If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around...is he still wrong?

Offline grumpy of ohio

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »
Still hoping for a definitive answer before hacking a hole in the roof....from what I'm reading on braces...some seem to run front to rear ( kind of confusing getting around the tracks for putting the door up) or at best  braces that run side to side ( makes better sense but for support, attach to what on the side..

Like I said, the 4 plastic dots on the ceiling mean what ?  Other than an indication of where to cut a 14" square hole....Hoping for more replies..

Online Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »
All the braces I have seen run side to side. There is also a "channel" mounted to the ceiling for the wires to hind it, but offer no support.
This may help ........ www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=2438

Here is a good photo of the A/C brace on a 2000 with an ABS roof. It goes from side to side about in the middle/front of the roof.

The small channel going from the A/C at an angle is the wire channel.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline grumpy of ohio

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the info...but still not helping... Believe my roof is aluminum skin with who knows what in between and then the inside ceiling....for sure not ABS.

I could easily brace from the inside , side to side with aluminum channel but if not needed would prefer not to.....puzzling are the 4 plastic heads or dots on ceiling....see no reason for them unless designating where 14"sq. hole should be cut.  Know what I mean...too bad Coleman isn't around for a definite answer but thanks all who tried to help

Offline HawkInTheBurg

• Star Camper
    • MO [MO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
A picture of your interior roof might help.
1986 Skamper 136C [PU] [TV] 2001 F-150 SCrew, 5.4

"Don't  make someone a priority who only considers you an option"

Offline CenFlCamper

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »
While I don't have gas solid anwser for you concerning this. My 2006 fleetwood had the same 4 plastic push pins in the roof. There was a previous post that states when coleman/fleetwood units had the roof brace installed from the factory (memory tells me 1998/99). My 2006 Scorpion took me 3-4 months to gather the needed hardware to compleate this much needed mod/improvement.
My top construction is aluminum,Styrofoam,wood, then a wallpaper type material (it does have a name but its escaped my feeble mind). Let me see if I can find a picture of my roof section.

Hope this helps a bit

Use, enjoy, remember, repeat

Offline grumpy of ohio

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »
Guess this gone as far as it can, so I thank all that tried to help....I'll post back my experiences after I undertake the project...too many irons in the fire right now and it is camping season.....more of a late fall project... Thanks again!

Offline Blackpot

• Camper, 1st Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
The four dots are definately where the A/C goes on my 96 Coleman since I watched the dealer cut the hole with a reciprocating saw.  The weight of your A/C unit should not exceed 110 lbs.  Putting the unit on top of the camper is a two person job, and I recommend that you brace the four corners to keep from putting too much stress on the lift system when you install it.   
Joe & June

Offline chipperone1

• Camper, 1st Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
 Those four dots ARE the location of the AC. If it was me I wouldn't cut a 14x14 square hole, I would cut ONLY to suit the size of the "ducting" on the AC unit. Probably two rectangular holes, better yet they could be round on the ends to eliminate any corners. Stay off the roof!

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.