User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 1
Lava Lake
 Views: 270
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.97
Posted by Twisty
Aug 16, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

after
Due to problems getting my trailer onto my drive (ie rubbing on high spots on the drive) I had my starcraft 3612 raised by 4". I took it in to the garage that usually services my vehicles.
 They researched what was entailed in lifting a trailer with torsion bar suspension and the end result was a t…
 Views: 25
Posted by NotRufnIt
Aug 25, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

inside of pop up camper canvas flaking, help! by lightfoot
[Today at 05:53:42 AM]

Done lurking... by Raycfe
[Today at 05:49:51 AM]

Calling All Coleman Colorado/Coleman Aspens! by jet noise
[Today at 04:37:44 AM]

What's your setup for your PUPs outside shower? by steveonzakon
[Today at 02:46:09 AM]

So, what did you do for your camper, August 2014 by Dubbya
[Today at 01:16:50 AM]

The Best Bad Campground Reviews by Ponyknite
[Today at 01:10:33 AM]

Hello from Boston area by 3hooligans
[Today at 01:05:40 AM]

It's a dog life by BarbaraFaith
[Today at 01:01:37 AM]

2 Mods happening today by rangerover
[Today at 12:58:28 AM]

Grey water tank by srreality
[Today at 12:55:17 AM]

Power lift by srreality
[Today at 12:49:22 AM]

Water leak by srreality
[Today at 12:46:35 AM]

PopUp Times
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: stove on side of pop up  (Read 2497 times)

Offline jwoodyu

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: stove on side of pop up
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
We never cooked in our first popup which we purchased new and when we were shopping for our current used popup one that had been cooked in was a complete non starter for me. The smell is the bloody worst like a short order kitchen once they have been cooked in. The smells seep into all the fabrics and the Lord help you if you fry fish inside.

+1 on the low pressure stove being worthless outside unless the weather is very nice and no wind. The Coleman or other good camp stove is you friend.

I considered trying to convert the low pressure stove in my Coleman to high pressure then using it only outside. The down fall with that program is thing mounts on the outer door so to lock the camper I would have to take the stove down every time. My Coleman came with a counter that replaces the stove when the stove is outside but in my case the counter piece is were the stove goes all the time and the stove is neatly wrapped tucked away in storage.
[PU] 1996 Coleman Cheyenne; [TV] 2004 Astro AWD

Online apopkabob

• Star Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 09:00:25 AM »
We never make more than Coffee inside the pup [8D] all cooking is either out doors or we eat at a restaurant.
DW 67 DH 67 DS 96 DD 03 DS 05   1 crazy weiner dog
2013 Rockwood Freedom 1980

Offline trav

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »
I hang the stove on the outside whether I'm going to use it or not. Frees up room inside and with its lid closed makes a handy shelf outside for setting stuff.

Sent from my C771  2
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD
1997 Dutchmen 1204

Offline DelorFamily

• Star Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
Ok i think i will give it a try hooked on the outside. We are going on our first PUP trip close to home next weekend. Thanks for all the information. I love this site [:D] [:D]

FYI, it you haven't ever used it outside, it might take a bit longer to purge the gas lines of any air before the gas actually gets to the stove.

Offline 3sons

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 06:27:29 AM »
ok Thanks i will keep that in mind.

Offline kitphantom

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »
We never make more than Coffee inside the pup [8D] all cooking is either out doors or we eat at a restaurant.

We are often camped where going to a restaurant is not possible or likely, sometimes the nearest is at least half an hour away. We are careful what we cook inside, so there is not an issue like jwoodyu mentioned. [Our usually camp cooking is pretty simple to begin with, inside we do the simplest.] Since we don't have an outside stove, I don't know if there would be an issue with that side of the tenting absorbing odors. When we cooked near the camper, we were at a 90* angle and the breeze dissipated cooking vapors fast.
Andrea & Courtenay [PU] 2010 Cobalt; TV: [TV] 2005 4Runner
'13: 51 nights/8 trips
'14: 29 nights camped/6 trips, 15 more planned/1 trip + 17 day x-country trip

Offline lisalisa

• Tenderfoot
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »
Does an outside slide on stove they would like to sell? I dropped ours on the ground and it broke. Hubby is not to happy...oops

Offline IslandR

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • QC [QC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
Since on the topic of inside/outside stove...Is there any online store we can purchase the low pressure quick connect stoves? Our Flagstaff came with the RVQ which is installed way too close to the unit allowing for grill smoke to enter the trailer if the screens are open. I bought a small propane grill I can position well away from the unit.
Would love to snag a stove for the outside as ours is built-in inside and never use it...or paying top dollar at a dealer the only option?
228D Flagstaff, Ford Ranger Edge

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
Since on the topic of inside/outside stove...Is there any online store we can purchase the low pressure quick connect stoves? Our Flagstaff came with the RVQ which is installed way too close to the unit allowing for grill smoke to enter the trailer if the screens are open. I bought a small propane grill I can position well away from the unit.
Would love to snag a stove for the outside as ours is built-in inside and never use it...or paying top dollar at a dealer the only option?

I know the dealers charge ridiculous prices for new stoves, so it's definitely worth looking around. Check Kijiji or Craigslist for used RV stoves.

Alternatively, since you say you don't use the stove inside, you can fab up an angle iron or aluminum angle frame and/or add some carriage bolts or a table mount track that will allow you to mount the stove to the exterior wall. Then replace the counter top inside so you can take advantage of the extra counter space.

30" Patrick Table Support Track:

$5.99 + shipping
http://www.rvplus.com/patrick-industries-table-support-30-inch-165605.html

Check out RVplus for LPG fittings, hoses and adapters:
http://www.rvplus.com/lp-gas/pigtails-gas-hoses-and-accessories/

You can find all kinds of adapters and quick connect hose assemblies at Camping world too.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/lp-hose-quick-connect/37913
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propanenatural-gas-connector-kit-w-shutoff-valve/30334
The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much that ain't so.  ~Josh Billings

Offline jwoodyu

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
I stand corrected. I used the stove outside  on my 96 Coleman for the first time this weekend and it rocked. Either the guy before me worked on it to make it better or it just smokes my old Palomino.
[PU] 1996 Coleman Cheyenne; [TV] 2004 Astro AWD

Offline TX_F2

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »
Even though we have a nice stove & oven inside the pup like this, it rarely gets used:

If I use a stove at all it is usually the built in outside high pressure one:

But even that hardly gets used as most of our cooking is done over charcoal on the campsite grill or over a fire in the fire pit.

2008 Fleetwood Niagara [PU]
2010 Dodge Ram QC HEMI [PUT]
1 Wife / 2 Kids / 2 Camping Doggie's

Offline MT Camper

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MT [MT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »
I have the inside/outside 3 burner and I don't use it inside.  I actually bought an 8 foot extension for the quick connect propane on the outside of the camper and I set the stove on a rectanglular table set up at 90 degrees to the trailer and this gives me the prep space I need and counter space inside.  On the outside of my camper it was actually to high for me and this works better.  I have a popup canopy for over my cooking area and it works for me.  I know everyone does things different so it's just what I do. 
2619 Trailmanor
2011 Dodge Dakota Bighorn
Life is way to short not to go camping again!

Offline The Postman

• Star Camper
    • SK [SK]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »
We have always mounted our stove on the outside for many of the reasons listed here.  Our Palomino trailer also came with a little shelf to mount beside it, and that gives you more space to put condiments etc.  We don't use it for cooking anything that will give off food odors, but for boiling water, or heating soup, it works just fine.
Two hardy campers, and Cocoa the Trailer Dog
2008 Palamino Yearling
09 Jeep Liberty

Offline just4fun63

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: stove on side of pop up
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »
I hang the stove on the outside whether I'm going to use it or not. Frees up room inside and with its lid closed makes a handy shelf outside for setting stuff.

Sent from my C771  2

This is my answer to a tee. +1

Sent from my DROID3  2

Offline vjlarson

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
Our previous PU had an inside/outside stove and I really liked it.  The PU we have now only a stove installed into a counter top.  I used it a couple of times last year when we were on a trip, spending some "one nighters" on the road and didn't want to unload all the cooking gear until we got to a multiple night CG.  But I haven't used it at all this year.  I cook outside using a cookstove, a grill, and/or the Dutch Oven. 
2011 Coachmen Clipper 106 ST
2001 Ford F150

PopupGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)