User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 768
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

All ready for winter
All ready for the first snow fall  [:(]
 Views: 27
Posted by Bryan440
Oct 30, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Travelers Beware by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 02:16:41 AM]

POLL: Roadside Assistance Program by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 02:03:03 AM]

towing Phoenix to San Jose- Mojave?? by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 01:55:23 AM]

Are we hooked up? by Lathrop Bob
[Today at 01:44:14 AM]

New here looking forward to meeting folks. by generok
[Today at 01:16:40 AM]

Noob in FL by generok
[Today at 01:13:50 AM]

Anyone have a bone stock Palomino MXL I can compare to? by StageLover
[Today at 12:57:47 AM]

A series of unfortunate events. by generok
[Today at 12:56:00 AM]

Broke Camp in Record Time, Here's Why. by pandpcamper
[Today at 12:42:00 AM]

Hiking Rookie by pandpcamper
[Today at 12:33:47 AM]

Good news, everyone! by pandpcamper
[Today at 12:30:37 AM]

Put grease on the hitch ball? by FL_Bill
[Today at 12:28:52 AM]

Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches  - etrailer.com
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Centurion 3000 Converter Replacement  (Read 4295 times)

Offline dhoff

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Centurion 3000 Converter Replacement
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
The Centurion 3000 converter in our pop up finally gave up the ghost last fall.  No 12v power when connected to shore power, and it had been acting up for years before that.

I've seen it mentioned that the WFCO WF8735P is a direct replacement.  Has anyone done this replacement themselves, if I order this from Best Converter does it come with diagrams or instructions?  Is it difficult to install?

The reason I ask is, it's really a rat's nest or wiring.  If the new converther comes with a diagram or instructions I should be able to figure it out, if not, I might just take it in to be fixed.

Offline bondebond

• Eagle Camper
    • AR [AR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photosite
Re: Centurion 3000 Converter Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »
I put in a WF8725 in my previous PUP to replace an Elixir (same description - "direct replacement").

WFCO has no idea how any manufacturer has used their product and which circuits are which.  There's no guarantee that the same manufacturer wires up the circuits the same from one model to the next in their PUPs.  They can't provide you anything on that side of it.

What you're left with is basic installation instructions from WFCO of where the supply lines goes, where the charge line to the battery is and the rest is up to you, since that part is highly variable.  It has a basic manual and wiring diagram, mostly just a layout of the board and connection points.

Hopefully, the Centurion has labeling on the existing circuits.  Maybe not.  Just make sure that 120v AC goes to the 120v breakers, and that 12v DC goes to the 12v fuses.  I had to pull a fuse and see what went off, so I could properly label what was on that circuit.  And I spent some time cleaning up and organizing the rat's nest that was behind the original converter.  You'll need to find your specific model of PUP if you want a wiring diagram of how your circuit lines are laid out.

Work slowly, but you should get through it.  Let me know if you have specific questions or concerns.
This space left intentionally.
2006 Fleetwood Sequoia, 1 of the tallest highwall PUPs around (6'11" closed) w/axle flipped
See my photo link for mods

Offline Wrenchgear

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Yes, post back with all questions and concerns and we/someone will be able to help you through it. It should be pretty straight forward.
Wrench,.....2002 Rockwood Freedom #1910
Glad to be at the top of the food chain !
Only 12 nights camped in 2014

Offline Reel Aggies

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
I had my Elixer converter go out this weekend as well.  I am debating on whether to change it myself or take it to be done.  I am no electrician by any means, but if it is basically the same layout I may be able to do it.  My fear is burning out a new one then having to buy another unit and paying someone to do it right!  Is it basically just matching up wires to locations?  Are the connections the same between Elixer and WFCO?  I am having second thoughts about doing it myself....

Offline bondebond

• Eagle Camper
    • AR [AR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photosite
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:33:08 PM »
It's a fairly straightforward operation.

There are screws/lugs holding the 12v wires in place.  As you unscrew one wire from the Elixir, label it with masking tape and the label of the circuit that was on the Elixir.

The circuit breakers for the two or three 120v AC circuits are also use screw/pressure plates to hold the hot wire in.  Again, label them as you pull them out.

There is a small plate on the top of the unit being held in place with one screw.  Remove that and you can see the bus bars and connection for the ground and neutrals.  The 120v hot legs also run through this section.

Do not cut any wires.  Feed them back through, straightening or bending them as needed to get them out of the Elixir.  Getting them out is truly the hardest part, as putting them into a WFCO has multiple ports to feed the wires into.

The WFCO has all of the types of connections labelled.  As long as you understand household 120v wiring colors (tons of documentation and simple images online), that side is simple.  Same for the 12v.  Whatever you unhooked from the ground or negative bar inside the Elixir will go to the same thing inside the WFCO.  Depending on the model of WFCO (if you go that route), it will be such a pleasure after having unraveled the mess that comes out of the Elixir.

Of course, the warning(s):  do not have the battery connected, or the shore power plug plugged into anything.  Disconnect both.
I did mine in one evening, so I ran an independent extension cord from an outside outlet on my house to a work light to use inside the PUP.  A flashlight can also be useful, even during the day.

You can transfer the 120v circuit breakers and the 12v fuses over to the new converter.  Depending on the model you get, it can be a direct fit in the hole left by removing the Elixir.

Your battery will also thank you with extended service, as even the small 8700 WFCOs are smart, three-stage battery chargers.

My final word:  if you do not feel comfortable, by all means have a professional do it.  Better to be safe than sorry.  With just my tiny knowledge of electrical wiring, I'm just not smart enough to ask a professional do to it for me.
2006 Fleetwood Sequoia, 1 of the tallest highwall PUPs around (6'11" closed) w/axle flipped

Offline Reel Aggies

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
Thanks Bond, my WFCO 8735 will be delivered on Tuesday. I am going to make the attempt.  I hope it will go together easy, just wish I could pull it put and wire it on a work bench, not hunched over in the camper!

Offline bondebond

• Eagle Camper
    • AR [AR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photosite
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
But half the fun is trying to keep working when the back, neck and knees are screaming in pain because you've had to hunker down and turn sideways.

And don't come back and post that you were electrocuted while trying to do this yourself.  I couldn't live with myself if that happened. [::)]

Offline Reel Aggies

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »
I grew up working on a farm, I'm sure I can handle it. I just don't work with it all the time.

Offline Reel Aggies

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
Ok I installed my converter, plugged it in, and had power! No alarms or smoke. :-). The ac fired right up, cooled, outside 120v plugs worked like a charm. Inside I turned on the two overhead 12v lights and they seemed to burn brighter until they burned out at the same time (after about 5 min). I felt the light fixture and it seemed pretty hot to the touch. I cut everything off and unplugged. Why do you think my 12v lights burned brighter then out? Would not having a battery hooked up to it have any effect? I read where it might.  Too big of a fuse maybe? I transferred from one unit to the new and used all the same color wires to connect.  Really frustrated, any ideas??

Offline dhoff

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
Well I FINALLY ordered a new converter and should be able to install it in the next week it two.   We're camping again in mid- October so we'll need lights.  I will document it with photos and start a new thread.  Wish me luck!

Offline dhoff

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
Well, it's installed.  I ordered a WFCO 8725P, because it matched the existing cutout.  It took me pretty much all day, but it works!  And I didn't let any smoke out of the wires.  When I have some time I'll start a thread and put up my photos.  It wasn't really that hard, I marked all the wires and did a little Googling to make sure I was understanding the breaker wiring correctly.  Now enjoying a cold beverage and congratulating myself.  Yes, I'm easily amused.

Offline kpic

• Life Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
Whenever I mess with wires, I use one of these to identify them for the next time.

08 Rockwood 1640 LTD 2010 Silverado 1500 Z71

2015 - Wisconsin June Rally