User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Zoom Details 2
Inks Lake State Park in Texas
 Views: 7651
 Comments: 2
 Rating: 4.95
Posted by TX_F2
Feb 26, 2008
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

IMG 0919
 Views: 1308
 Rating: 0.12
Posted by Davidcamper305
Jan 14, 2017
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Another battery charging question. by Boatnman
[Today at 03:48:36 AM]

A question on batteries and electronics by Boatnman
[Today at 02:10:29 AM]

Somerset Campers by gardenbliss
[Today at 01:46:16 AM]

UK Trailer by Tukee44
[Today at 01:39:50 AM]

2017 Arizona Spring Rally by Hoomi
[Today at 12:49:25 AM]

Outlet anchors ? by 94-D2
[Today at 12:44:52 AM]

Towing 4 pin wiring by 94-D2
[Today at 12:38:20 AM]

Haggling on a new pop-up by Dudman5703
[Today at 12:33:33 AM]

Tent camping at Yosemite, but have the wrong site by campfreak
[Yesterday at 11:54:54 PM]

Roof damage by world traveler
[Yesterday at 11:52:18 PM]

North Florida Rally - Stephen Foster S.P. - 2/24/17-2/26/17 by Orchid
[Yesterday at 11:12:12 PM]

Replacing vent - heng's vs. ventline? by xxxapache
[Yesterday at 10:37:09 PM]

Author Topic: Need Help : Dometic Refigerator not working  (Read 2160 times)

Offline samsin

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
Need Help : Dometic Refigerator not working
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Hi, i just purchased a 2002 Niagara Elite tent trailer and the Dometic Fridge (model RM 42230 does not cool - factory installed). does anyone have any advice on troubleshooting and fixing the fridge?

In propane mode, the back side of the fridge is hot (i.e. touching the fridge manifild components from the exterior panel on the trailer), but the fidge on the interior is not cool....I had the proane on for one day with not cooling in the fridge).

I appreciate and advice you may have.

Thanks,

Sam

Offline DigitalGuru

• Star Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help : Dometic Refigerator not working
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
First of all, welcome to the Portal!

I'd check around the forums here, I'm sure there is info already to help you with your issue.  My first guess is the burner assembly needs to be cleaned out, might have some spider webs / bug nests in there.  Is this your first camper?  Keep in mind that these fridges take a long time to cool down, so if your opening it frequently to check the coolness, you maybe delaying the cooling process.  I recommend getting a indoor / outdoor thermometer to be able to check the temp inside the fridge without opening the door.  If it's a fridge that can work on 120v, I'd try that to see if it works.  It would help you know if its just the burner or the entire cooling system.  Also, is your camper level?  These fridges need to be "perfectly" level to work properly.  Good luck, and let us know of you progress!

DG
[PU] 2004 Starcraft Centennial 3606
[o!!!o] 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD

Offline trikebubble

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • BC [BC]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
My burner (looks like a crack pipe) was very dirty when we bought our pop-up. I believe you should be getting a nice blue flame, orange signifies a dirty flame. I took mine all apart, cleaned it all out (search around here and you will find a number of good "how to's" on fridge maintenance), cleaned up the end of the thermocoupler, and now it works just fine.

I also added a fan to suck air over the correct route, and baffled the area to also help direct air where it should be drawn. (again, search for "fridge fan mod" or "fridge baffle mod" and you will learn a lot). Baffling the fridge and adding the fan increased the efficiency by a huge amount.

I also pre-cool my fridge for a couple days before I leave for a camping trip. I throw a frozen pop bottle inside and run it on 120V. Remember it is not a refrigerator in the true sense of the idea, they will loose their cool very quickly with repeated openings of the door (try to explain that one to my Wife...Ha!) It is best to pre-cool your foodstuff's in your home fridge and then put them in the pop-up fridge if you can. It works better keeping things cool if they are cool going in I find.
I love the smell of campfire in the morning.....

Offline bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:41:20 AM »
I'd start with the regular maintenance.

See the last few pages of this doc if you have a rm4223

http://www.dometic.com/bd9a3459-6490-4ea9-9fa2-6ce1c53895e9.fodoc
Epsolar VS1024BN programmable charge controller
'07 Chevy Colorado 3.7L I5
gone but not forgotten '96 Coachmen Sport 086

Offline cwolfman13

• Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
On propane, if the chimney is getting hot, you should be cooling; it's generally an indicator that everything is working.  Do you have the temp setting turned up all the way?  What is the ambient temperature where you are?  Are you using anything to help things along a bit?

Personally, I've found these refrigerators to be pretty weak on their own.  I've always gotten the best results when, during the cooling down process, I stock with some frozen bottles of water, etc.  Once I'm comfortable, I'll stock it with other cold beverages and the like and I've found that the temperature really drops and stays more stable when it's fully stocked with already cold stuff.  Left on it's own, it's never seemed cold enough to me. 

Also, I've found that I have the best results when temps are below mid 80s.  Once ambient temps outside go above 85* or so, the cooling power of the fridge seems to exponentially decline.  If temps are in the mid 90s and up, I've had very little success keeping the fridge very cold, to the point that I do not put perishable foods in it at that point and prefer to just keep my beer in a cooler as well.

Like I said...these things need a lot of help IMHO and have nowhere near the cooling capacity left on their own, that your at home compressor fridge has.  I can't speak to the mods that others have done in RE to baffling and fans, but they seem to make a big difference. 
The Wolf Pack
2006 Viking 2480ST
"A wizard is never late...nor is he early.  He arrives precisely when he means to" ~Gandalph

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
On propane, if the chimney is getting hot, you should be cooling; it's generally an indicator that everything is working.  Do you have the temp setting turned up all the way?  What is the ambient temperature where you are?  Are you using anything to help things along a bit?

Personally, I've found these refrigerators to be pretty weak on their own.  I've always gotten the best results when, during the cooling down process, I stock with some frozen bottles of water, etc.  Once I'm comfortable, I'll stock it with other cold beverages and the like and I've found that the temperature really drops and stays more stable when it's fully stocked with already cold stuff.  Left on it's own, it's never seemed cold enough to me. 

Also, I've found that I have the best results when temps are below mid 80s.  Once ambient temps outside go above 85* or so, the cooling power of the fridge seems to exponentially decline.  If temps are in the mid 90s and up, I've had very little success keeping the fridge very cold, to the point that I do not put perishable foods in it at that point and prefer to just keep my beer in a cooler as well.

Like I said...these things need a lot of help IMHO and have nowhere near the cooling capacity left on their own, that your at home compressor fridge has.  I can't speak to the mods that others have done in RE to baffling and fans, but they seem to make a big difference.
THIS!^

It should cool somewhat but it does take several hours to notice an appreciable difference. It's always going to cool better on LPG than 120v or 12v, but the baffle and fan mods make a world of difference.

After adding a baffle and two fans, mine works equally well on 120v and LPG. Now when starting it up, it only takes a couple of hours to reach operating temps.  I was able to freeze beer and pop on "7" and had to turn it down to "5" to reach 2-3 C (35.6-37.4 F ). It was totally worth doing.
1996 Viking 2060ST | 1997 Ford F-150

Offline Mickeyrv

• Life Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
On one of my prior travel trailers I had the reefer (dometic) stop working 1 month after I purchased the travel trailer brand new.  It turned out that a very small spider built a little cob web in the propane feed line to the burner.   Removed the little copper line,  blowed it out with air hose at 100 PSIG. Could have just run a small pc of cloth thru it,  Anyway,  worked perfectly after that.   On my new unit with a norcold reefer, I hot melt glued a pc. of nylon screen over the inside of the lower and upper removeable outside vent covers.   No spiders, wasps, bees, birds, etc.  as of yet.

I one saw a travel trailer go up in flames due to a bird nest inside the hot vent.  This was a unit with a full size reefer/freezer and the vent was on top of the travel trailer.  Destroyed the entire travel trailer.
God Bless You and Yours   -       Navy Veteran
Trailmanor 2027sl   +   2004 Ford Explorer
Debbie and Mike Retired     mickeyrv@hotmail.com

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
I one saw a travel trailer go up in flames due to a bird nest inside the hot vent.  This was a unit with a full size reefer/freezer and the vent was on top of the travel trailer.  Destroyed the entire travel trailer.

Yep, check YouTube for tons of those vids.

Offline cwolfman13

• Eagle Camper
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »
Also, check that your p'up is level.  It needs to be level for the fridge to function properly.
The Wolf Pack
2006 Viking 2480ST
"A wizard is never late...nor is he early.  He arrives precisely when he means to" ~Gandalph

Offline samsin

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I really appreciate it. over the weekend, i will run thur the checks to see if i can get it working.

Offline byronisfinn

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
Wow, I found just the right forum location!  Bought a 2003 Niagara Elite a few weeks ago and slowly doing repairs and improvements.  What I've left 'till last ... The Dometic fridge doesn't work. The inside "fins" are blackened and I haven't done any troubleshooting ... I knew I didn't work when I bought and it "looked" like it was just a complete replacement ... I'll be working on it again in a couple of weeks.  Just in case, is it difficult to replace one of these on your own or should I seek RV repair place?  Thanks!!
"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."  John Steinbeck

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
Just in case, is it difficult to replace one of these on your own or should I seek RV repair place?  Thanks!!
It's pretty simple with a few basic hand tools.

Loosen the (15/16"?) gas fitting from the and remove the LP gas supply line, remove the 12v hookup from the connection block on the bottom left and unplug the 120v power cord. Remove the screws from the front face trim (hidden behind the closed fridge door) that fasten it to the cabinet .

Find a 30"x30" piece of cardboard and lay it on the vinyl flooring directly in front of the fridge door. Then carefully pull the fridge out through the cabinet opening. The cardboard should help protect the floor from getting torn up while you move the fridge around.

Offline byronisfinn

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
Thanks Dubbya!  Sounds like even I can do that!  I'll be working that in the next 10-12 days.  Randy
"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."  John Steinbeck

Offline Campsnoopy

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
with all the wisdom...mine works on 12v and 120v but the gas will not ignite...sounds like a clogged line?

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
with all the wisdom...mine works on 12v and 120v but the gas will not ignite...sounds like a clogged line?

I doubt the supply line is clogged. It's more likely a matter of cleaning the burner assembly.

Here's how: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=24205.0