User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 949
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Zoom Details 1
 Views: 272
 Comments: 1
 Rating: 4.98
Posted by stem44
Nov 13, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Electric Impact Gun by pckeen
[Today at 06:16:39 PM]

So, what did you do for your camper, November 2014? by HiFiDave
[Today at 05:43:17 PM]

I'm Glad I Found You by sallugo
[Today at 05:34:08 PM]

New from Michigan by sallugo
[Today at 05:31:58 PM]

Replacement roof for Jayco 12' popup by caro
[Today at 05:15:35 PM]

Coleman/Fleetwood Evolution owners? E1/E2/E3 by HiFiDave
[Today at 05:02:38 PM]

Been given a deadline....... by 3hooligans
[Today at 04:52:04 PM]

Coffee Maker by jamb046
[Today at 04:30:42 PM]

honda generator by vagov
[Today at 04:26:44 PM]

The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need to go Away by RotnMom
[Today at 03:40:14 PM]

new year travel with rallies by ill.plainsman
[Today at 03:32:01 PM]

2015 - Carolina Winter Rally by RotnMom
[Today at 03:31:45 PM]

PopupGizmos Solar Bunkend Covers
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: E-Z PASS is the way to go!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Deskpilot

• Star Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
E-Z PASS is the way to go!
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »

DISCLAIMER: THIS IN NOT AN AD, just good info

In the NorthEast, This is the best and fastest way way to use toll roads. The E-Z Pass system is seamlessly "inter-operable" with the Mass toll plate system. The best way to avoid any violations is to have your transponder tied to your TV. If you're like me, I have 1 transponder with TWO vehicles registered to it. That way, I don't have to worry which vehicle uses the toll road. If for some reason I don't move the transponder to the other vehicles, the system uses its license plate capture system  to bill my account appropriately.

As towing our beloved Pups, relax, it's too E-Z. Add your Pup's license plate to your E-Z Pass account. As you approach the toll plaza, whether the slow lane, OR the ever increasing HIGH SPEED E-Z PASS ONLY lanes, the system will automatically count the number of axles and toll your vehicle based on the facility's particular toll schedule. 

Generally, there is no need to notify E-Z Pass that you are towing a vehicle. It's all automated.

Just remember to pre-load your account with sufficient funds to cover your tolls so that you don't get a violation.

Many systems offer a small percentage toll discount for E-Z Pass users. So you save money thrice:
You're not slowing down/stopping and wasting gas resuming speed.
Toll Discount.
Reduced wear and tear on braking systems.

[size=78%]Safe Travels and Happy camping[/size]
94 Ranger V6 3.0 5sp
or 08 Escape V6 (with e-trailer parts)
2012 nights camping 2 :-)

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
Re: E-Z PASS is the way to go!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Just to add ..... in New England, Conn and Vermont don't have any tolls.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline Storm Trooper

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
CT not yet Ray!
We got rid of them once, but they'll probably be back.
Lou & Jan and Ewok K9 (Kyleigh Wyote) [put&hy]
2011 Keystone Passport 235EXP AKA "The Imperial Palace"
2010 Ford F150XLT Supercab AKA "Jade's Fire"

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
I wouldn't mind them at the borders.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline rjniles

• Life Camper
    • SC [SC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:22:09 AM »
Just for info there are in fact 2 toll roads in South Carolina with electronic toll collection. The system is called Palmetto Pass and is used on I185 in Greenville County and the Cross Island Parkway on Hilton Head Island.

BTW I have an EZ Pass for when I go up North; would not travel in that area without it. A tip, if you get an EZ Pass, get it from New York state. They do not charge a $1 monthly fee.

Also, if you go to Florida at all, get 1 of there SUN Pass transponders. It costs $5 and they give you a $5 toll credit (so its free). You can buy them on line or at rest stops.
Bob & Sandra
Georgetown SC
2007 Chrysler T&C / 2002 Coleman Cheyenne

Offline JT2

• Star Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
Yup, EZ Pass is  definitely the way to go in the NE U.S, and we'll likely be seeing more electronic toll collection as the Operating Authorities attempt to free up traffic at toll plazas and eliminate live toll collectors. (Personnel is a huge cost in any business.)

The Penna. Turnpike is putting in several EZ Pass-only interchanges, with no opportunity at all to pay cash. (They're termed "slip ramps" around here.) I'm sure other states will do this as well sooner or later.

Generally, there is no need to notify E-Z Pass that you are towing a vehicle. It's all automated.
Heh! Funny story there: there is a certain well-known toll road which on which we travel 6-7 times per year with the TV and PUP.  For years, that "automated equipment" always missed the Coleman on the back of the van and only billed us for a normal (2 axle) vehicle on our 80 mile leg. The savings more than made up for the $1/mo. service fee that EZ Pass takes from the account. 

They have since fixed the problem, and our trips are now a bit more costly. Rats! Nice while it lasted though!
/JT

"Simplify, and add lightness" -- Colin Chapman
'88 Coleman Williamsburg
'95 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Offline FL_Bill

• Life Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Down here in FL we have the SunPass. Not only do you not have to stop and pay, but you get a discount at each toll. And most of the toll plazas have special dedicated lanes that you do not have to slow down at all. Time saver in deed. Kind of a no brainer. Unless you are worried about "big brother" tracking your movements.  [:O] [:O]

FL Bill
Saint Petersburg, Florida.
PUP : 2001 Viking 2480ST
TV 98 GMC Yukon 4x4

Offline MD Saga

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
EZ Pass is the only way to go when you're on a motorcycle.  The days of fumbling with your gloves on for change are over.  Just keep on truckin'.  And you can't add a trailer to the NJ EZ pass account, but it just automatically counts the axles.

I believe the toll road in NC going from the VA border to Nags Head accepts EZ Pass.
Chris P.
1999 Viking Saga 2106ST
2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Offline fuzz508pd

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »
Also in PA the tolls on the PA turnpike are cheaper if you use the EZ pass! 
2005 Rockwood
Freedom 1910

Offline iceman

• Star Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:14:41 AM »
Here in va ez pass says I need a transponder for pup and tv it is not automatically calculated and they are in planning stage of putting toll plazas back on 95 in various locations with a purposed $4.00 toll for vehicles and $12.00 for trucks!
2005 f250,  2014 jaycoswift 267 bhs myself the wife and 3 boys
http://olddominionironchefs.com/
"We DO it in black pots"

Offline Big_kid

• Eagle Camper
    • VA [VA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My photobucket albums
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »
I believe the toll road in NC going from the VA border to Nags Head accepts EZ Pass.

That road DOES accept EZpass, but the section from the border to Nags Head is free. The toll is between the border & interstate 64. I ALWAYS take the old road around the toll, as it is not any slower and it's free. It's not unusual to rejoin the same traffic I left when I exited before the toll. The toll road speed limit is still 55, and from what I saw in traffic court sometime between '02 & '06, rather heavily enforced.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
'68 Starmaster8 SOLD, '97 Starlounge, '95 Astro, '95 Villager

Offline Hacksaw

• Eagle Camper
    • MN [MN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Fountain Lake Sportsmens Club
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 11:50:44 PM »
EZ pass is also accepted in Illinois,Indiana,and Ohio and I think Maryland and DC also....guess I should have looked at the map deskpilot posted :o

Sent from my Desire HD  2
One Fish, Two Fish. I fish. You Fish ?
1998 Coleman/Fleetwood Sun Ridge - Papa's Ark
2000 Ford F150 crew cab -F/V Shoreline II

Offline MD Saga

• Camper, 1st Class
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
No tolls in DC.  Other than the growing forest of traffic enforcement cameras with outrageous fines for the smallest infractions.

And the new InterCounty Connector, MD 270, that goes from I95 to I270 is an EZ Pass only toll road.  If you don't have EZ Pass, they mail you a bill with a hefty premium over the standard rate.

Its interesting that the original EZ Pass business model had the entire system cost paid for with fines from toll violators.  It didn't take them long for them to realize that wouldn't cut it and start charging monthly fees to account holders.
Chris P.
1999 Viking Saga 2106ST
2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
We had eliminated all tolls many years ago but they are now back as tools to fund current and future road projects.  Washington has no income tax and relies on a sales tax for much of its income.  The recession has cut the state's income drastically. 

We now have two Tacoma Narrows bridges, with the the new one just finished a few years ago.  That has a toll.  We have two major floating bridges over Lake Washington.  One of them was replaced in the '90s and the other will be replaced soon.  That second one now has a toll to collect money in advance of the new construction.  We have no roads that are completely tolled but the state is experimenting with variable tolling on a couple of the most congested of our congested roads.  An "express lane" has been set up next to the HOV lane.  This lane has overhead signs which tell drivers how much it costs to drive in that lane at that time.  The cost can range from 50 cents in off hours to a few dollars at rush hour.

EZ Pass is used for all of these tolls.  In fact, since there is no toll gate for the variable price lane, EZ Pass is required to use it.  Drive there without it and the system issues a photo ticket.  You get a very nasty surprise in the mail.

Here's another interesting twist.  Hybrid cars and all electric cars are slowly becoming more popular.  Washington, like other states, gets some of its transportation budget from the state gasoline tax.  (Ours is one of the highest in the nation.)  Well, the hybrids and electrics buy less/no gas and therefore pay less/no gasoline tax while still using the roads.  The technology is advancing to the point where we will soon have a substantial proportion of these cars using the roads while gas tax income drops further and faster.  So, the state is trying to figure out a way to impose a mileage tax on these cars.   
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline NJGuy

• Eagle Camper
    • NJ [NJ]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
I used EZ Pass for many years in NJ/NY/PA.  Was very glad to turn it in upon moving to UT.  The tolls were adding up.
2000 TrailManor 3023
TV 05 GMC Yukon Denali
If women do not find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.  Red Green

PopUp Times Magazine For Today's Small RV Enthusiast