User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 508
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

1973 Starcraft Galaxy 8
 Views: 159
Posted by Dragon267
Sep 27, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

How Long Does It Take You - Set Up/Take Down by skirk55
[Today at 12:10:29 PM]

Know it all neighbors just got a pup by 1380ken
[Today at 12:01:19 PM]

I just want to say Thank You. by mamabean5
[Today at 11:59:14 AM]

New from Georgia by BelchFire
[Today at 11:55:24 AM]

trailer safety chain question by KMH
[Today at 11:52:33 AM]

1974 Villager by Dubbya
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

2014 FALL 'C U @ THE SEWER' RALLY by vulcan classic
[Today at 11:35:00 AM]

Need Dutch Oven? by BearTM
[Today at 11:33:14 AM]

Next time, I'll just turn it on myself. by Dubbya
[Today at 11:28:35 AM]

2014 - Texas Puppers Fall Rally by Txbum
[Today at 11:19:11 AM]

Weight dist and sway hitches by OneZero
[Today at 11:13:44 AM]

Electrical Problem. Little help, please. by Snow
[Today at 11:01:50 AM]

PopUpGizmos Cooler Covers
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1973 Wagoneer and 1980 Jayco - The perfect pair!  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Dr. Marneaus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
1973 Wagoneer and 1980 Jayco - The perfect pair!
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
Greetings!

I posted an intro when I joined, but here's a little more detail on my camping setup. The camper is very new to me, the truck, I've had for 3 years.

I was originally shopping for a CJ style jeep to replace my much missed TJ that I had a few years ago. I somehow ended up buying a 1973 Wagoneer. Specs are as follows:

360 V8 w/ Factory 4bbl intake, and Edelbrock Performer carb.
Broken AC :-(
GM TH400 3 speed auto, freshly rebuilt.
Dana 20 Transfer case with a craptastic 2.03:1 low range.
Dana30 Front Dana 44 rear end, tow packge with 3.31's
4" Lift, 33x10.50 BFG Mudders.

When I bought the truck, it was a good runner but developed bottom end noise. Prior to owning this truck, I had never even changed my own oil. I had put spring spacers on my TJ, but thats about as familiar as I got with mechanics.

The best way to learn is to dive in right? We've had quite a wild ride over the last 3 years. Thousands of dollars, countless hours, and 16 stitches.

Ever seen the witchcraft that goes on inside a fairly simple auto tranny? That was fun...

Plenty of camping-esque mods too!

Built a cargo cover and bed-lined the cargo area, theres also a 700 watt inverter in there

Rear auxiliary lights

Rewired the headlight system, installed relays, converted to H4's and ran silverstars

So on and so forth, thats all boring though! If you want to see my full build thread, there's every single thing i've done in this thread over on jeep forum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marns-73-wagoneer-thread-1058173/

So, lets just say, I'm not afraid to get in and work on something!

Lets just say having a 40 year old tow rig/off road truck can be very trying to ones patience...My friends always give me guff because this is a fairly common sight...

However with all the work i've done to it, it's been runnin' like a champ, and we took our maiden voyage with the camper, 600 miles round trip, without a single hiccup.

We will sum up the tow rig discussion with this picture:
1973 Jeep Wagoneer - 1980 Jayco JayFinch 6

Offline Dr. Marneaus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 1973 Wagoneer and 1980 Jayco - The perfect pair!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
Soooo, I did lots of camping with the truck by itself over the last few years.

For the last year or so I'd been casually browsing the classifieds around the web for a cheap, old pop up in good condition. I was set on something vintage, close to the age of my truck.

Well, it fell into my lap, i heard about it from a guy i knew, and 45 minutes later I shook his hand and was the proud new owner of a 1980 Jayco. It was well used, but overall in good shape. Plenty of LITTLE things to do, but nothing major. Just my style! A diamond in the rough!! Maybe

Supposedly everything worked (we'll get to that later) and it was clean inside and out. Had obviously been repainted, and had obviously seen use on rural roads (the siding on the front was all mashed in and peppered from road debris). For being 30 years old, it seemed great! Canvas is good, no rips.

I paid $750 for it.

I have allllll the original documentation:

Needless to say, it didnt quite "fit" behind the jeep. We'd soon remedy that.

I took her home, cleaned her up real nice.

I picked a matching color, and went to work one morning:

Matching wood grain is a must!!

Came out pretty good!

But we need to do something about that angle....I didnt want a drop hitch because it rode so dang low to begin with, i wouldnt be able to drag it down anything other than a graded and maintained dirt road.

Fixed that right quick.

Lifted it about 3" to 4" Still wasnt quite enough.

Picked up some 175/80r13's with 4 lug rims. MUCH better, that'll do until i pick up a 3" drop hitch rather than my 2"

Offline Dr. Marneaus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
Just recently added a little bit of armor to the front. As mentioned, the front was all mashed in from 30 years of road debris.

So, after the lift and tires, we took it on it's first trip. 600 miles round trip from Las Vegas, to Ely, NV and back

Us: 

P.S. I'm from New Hampshire...can you tell?

Offline Dr. Marneaus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Here are a few videos of the camper, outside and inside:
1973 Wagoneer and 1980 Camper Walk Around

1980 Jayco Pop Up

Offline themanfromvan

• Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • My Picasa Web Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
Posts like your is why this forum needs a "LIKE" button - like Facebook.  Excellent job.  Thank you for sharing !!
David, Betsy, Elizabeth, Olivia & Robert
2001 Rockwood Freedom / 2004 Chevy Trailblazer

Offline Dr. Marneaus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
Posts like your is why this forum needs a "LIKE" button - like Facebook.  Excellent job.  Thank you for sharing !!

Thanks so much!!!

Honestly I'm in a bit of a hurry now, but I'll keep this thread updated as I go along on trips and making modifications!

Here's the same link for y'all to the jeep build. If you feel like seeing more, check it out, these threads get updated regularly.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marns-73-wagoneer-thread-1058173/

Here's a link to the camper build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/marns-1980-jayco-jayfinch6-pop-up-build-thread-1411921/

Here's a link to my thread on Expedition Portal. This sort of covers past trips (I love telling stories) and modifications resulting from those trips, without all the nitty-gritty mechanical stuff and chit chat. More of a watered down build thread, not as technical.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83075-1973-Wagoneer-Full-Size-SHTF-and-camping-goodness!

Offline Twisty

• Diamond
  • Eagle Camper
    • OR [OR]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
You've done very well for a novice mechanic [:D]
Nice work and happy travels!! [:)O] [;)]
Twisty should be used for entertainment purposes only.
2014 Boss 6.2 F350
2012 SV264

Offline Hawkester

• Eagle Camper
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Hawkes Nest's Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »
Very nice job. I may be a FoMoCo man but those old Jeep Wagoneers are great and look so tough.
[PU] Hawkes Nest 07 Fleetwood Sun Valley | [PUT] LuxLiner 04 F150 Lariet Super Crew

Offline Hawkester

• Eagle Camper
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Hawkes Nest's Photo Album
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
 [?:~{] I mean tuff!  :)
[PU] Hawkes Nest 07 Fleetwood Sun Valley | [PUT] LuxLiner 04 F150 Lariet Super Crew

Offline Penny Logan

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »
You are obviously very talented in repairing things and such like that, Great deal on the pup, it looks so clean.Two questions in the pixs of before you got the pup there is a tan tent with a nice awning/front porch area, any idea what kind of tent that is. Also I need to really clean the canvas area on front pop out of my hybrid and I see you used a power washer. How did you do that? Weren't you afraid to get things in the pup wet? I got some good cleaning stuff I found out about here on the forum, but would love to be able to power wash it all off when I am done. Thanks for all the pictures, videos and info. Now get to making those memories  [:)C]
Penny's Dreamcatcher :)

Offline Dr. Marneaus

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »
Very nice job. I may be a FoMoCo man but those old Jeep Wagoneers are great and look so tough.

Ha, thanks, I promise I wont hold it against you that you're a fan of the four-letter-word!

You are obviously very talented in repairing things and such like that, Great deal on the pup, it looks so clean.Two questions in the pixs of before you got the pup there is a tan tent with a nice awning/front porch area, any idea what kind of tent that is. Also I need to really clean the canvas area on front pop out of my hybrid and I see you used a power washer. How did you do that? Weren't you afraid to get things in the pup wet? I got some good cleaning stuff I found out about here on the forum, but would love to be able to power wash it all off when I am done. Thanks for all the pictures, videos and info. Now get to making those memories  [:)C]

Thank you! And yeah, it was a pretty dern good deal, but i eventually learned that the brakes are shot, and the heater doesnt work, but thats all stuff I can do for minimal dollar cost on my own. As mentioned and evidenced above, i ain't afraid to get my hands dirty. You know, sometimes you just really gotta get in there and get the job done!

To answer yer questions:

That tent with the awning is mine. Its North Pole Vacation Home. I believe it hails from Sams Club, as seen here:
http://reviews.samsclub.com/1337/382564/reviews.htm?sort=rating&dir=asc

I got it from a guy who's house burnt down. He sold me a gun safe, and since my buddy was a former army guy too, he's all "here take this tent its never been out of the box!!!" and he gave it to me.

It weighs like 65 pounds, and as the reviews say, kinda sucks in the wind. Also it requires a massive storage bag. I couldnt get it back into the one it came with, so use a giant duffle bag insted. It has to ride on a cargo rack behind my jeep.

You'd need to tie it down SECURELY. On that trip (we were in death valley) it blew over on us in the night. I just shove it from my sleeping bag and it popped back up, but it's flimsy. I don't like it really. It'd be nice for a day on the beach or something though.

Also, no, i wasn't worried about stuff inside getting wet, I planned to air it out anyway, plus it was like 900 degrees that day. When power washing it, if i held my hand against the inside of the canvas, it would get wet, but that was only if I was TOUCHING the canvas.  it didn't like, spray water inside.

I use some random mexican cleaning product. Something supposedly all natural and biodegradable, good for carpets, tiles, grease removing, canvas, upholstery, bathrooms, toilets, dogs, cats, vinyl, leather, lambswool, baby hair, so on and so forth. Just one of those miracle cleaners. Seemed to work, it wasnt anything special though.

You can see how much lighter/cleaner the area on the right is after i cleaned it.

There's still the standard grungy areas up next to the lift poles and stuff though, where it gets greasy.

Also, it wa sjust a car-washing electric power washer, like, 1200 PSI. I wouldnt use a 2200 psi unit or something with a gas motor.

Hope that helps!

Offline eckertsbrew

• Wagon Master
  • Life Camper
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Super Cool!
We have a very similar set up but our camper is a bit larger than yours.

1974 Wagoneer and an 87 Palomino TXL

Keith
Keith & April              Daughter-Trinity
Son-Canyon             Dogs-Zoe & Cat-Dog
TV-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk PUP- 1987 Palomino-TXL

Offline XtraRevsSurely

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Drool......matching paint job is my favorite part.  The whole set up is totally cool that you made it your way! 
2012 Jayco Jay Series Sport 12
2006 Chrysler Pacifica

Offline Wrenchgear

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »
Good job. Love these kind of things.
Wrench,.....2002 Rockwood Freedom #1910
Glad to be at the top of the food chain !
Only 12 nights camped in 2014

Offline zjrog

• Star Camper
    • UT [UT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
Neat setup.  The trailer sure gets a vintage look with matching paint!
CONgress, the OPPOSITE of PROgress

1972 Starcraft STARLITE 6

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.