User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Bumpass Hell
 Views: 43
Posted by Twisty
Aug 30, 2010
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

GNAT trailer at Dreher Island SP, SC
This is our trailer, a 5X8 cargo trailer we spent 8 months converting.  Hot/cold water, multimedia center, dining room converts to queen size bed.  A/C, full shower.
 Views: 147
Posted by rayisouttahere
Jul 28, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Bear Creek Canvas
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: 1995 Jayco 1406 Cardinal 6 Designer Series Roof Rebuild  (Read 3055 times)

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: 1995 Jayco 1406 Cardinal 6 Designer Series Roof Rebuild
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »
i did not know the PT would do that. So PT is not the right option then, because i have to glue the aluminum to the wood.
PUP - 1995 Jayco 1406 Designer Series Cardinal 6
TV - 2005 F150 XLT SCREW 5.4L V8

Offline bols2Dawall

• Life Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
Maybe some one else can chime in but perhaps there's a sealer you could use on the PT .
2005 Fleetwood Colonial
attached to a 2009 TrailBlazer

Offline jab2181

• Life Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »
Reply on mine anytime, the cabinet slides I believe do not serve anything other that for the cabinet. The ac braces give it a lot more structure and will give it a little more strength for our large roofs.
Proud owners of a 1996 Jayco 1207, TV 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. DW of 8 years, DD Bailey, DD Kalei and Gus Gus the Frenchy.
 [CP] 2014 = 10

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
End cap reconstruction
Recall, the old wood is badly rotted, this is the best piece I had to work with for the end caps! I was able to get good pieces for the ribs behind the end caps, well most of them .. when i took the rear cap off, it fell. when it hit the ground, the wood did not hold up very well. I did not know plywood had string inside it. if you look close at the two piece panel, there are 2 strings connecting the 2 halves.

To get started building the new end caps I tried to make some assumptions go ahead, yell it out! 
Assumption 1 the roof should be flat, why, because there is nothing in the middle of the roof to hold any type of curve.
Assumption 2 the roof is the same width from front to back.
Assumption 3 both the front and rear end caps are the same.
So now I start measuring end caps first.
I took the piece in the picture above, and kept measuring till I found the widest section. See assumption 1, if the roof is flat, the top and bottom edge of the end caps are straight. Well, when looking at the end, the wood does not look rotten, but it is about " narrower. Hum, does that mean there should be a bow in the roof? If so, how does it hold the shape in the middle, and how in the heck did they keep that form in the shop originally?

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
backing up a little to catch up
Last weekend I made some progress. I went ahead and cut the board to length and to the widest width, figuring I can cut it down easier that adding to it. Also traced out the gussets as close as possible, assuming again, the 2 on the left are the same as the 2 for the right. I used the aluminum piece that fit under the endcap as a template for the bottom piece, and to get the width dimension. Originally the back piece and bottom pieces were stapled together without the edges cut to the matching angles, so there was a big gap where they came together. The gussets were the only things holding their shape. For the new part, I cut all the edges so they would butt up against each other, glued and stapled them together. I built the front piece, then tried to fit it to the rear cover, and seen the error in assumption. This is when I found out assumption number 3 was wrong, so I had to make different gusset for the rear, and bottom plate.
And here they are ..

Took a little modifications here and there to get the end caps to fit over, but we got them back where it looked like they belonged the dirt and stain marks from the old wood were not cleaned off yet good for me this time! I am almost certain the original piece was cut using a jig saw, and no two pieces cut the same. The original gussests did not fit the cover curvature very well, and the front board was very wavy compared to the aluminum cover edge.

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »
Saturday, I started by finishing the platform to build the roof on. It is basically 16 long saw horses using a 2x6 for the top board, and three support legs on each side. Then I took some 2x4 and laid them from one saw horse to the other. I screwed down the 2 end ones and spaced the others to support the top panels. I made sure the 2x4s were level side to side, shimming under the saw horse legs, and left them sloping toward the front, as that is how the drive way is. For top panels I used 3 pieces of chip board I had sitting under the car port, and a nice piece of pressure treated ply I had in there too. I screwed the plywood down to the 2x4s on the ends, and added a 2x4 in the middle of each sheet. Now to protect from the rain, since they are outside, I got some rolls of plastic and covered the top and taped the seams. This is what it came out like pretty solid and a good working platform.

The plan is to put the skin back together here and check the dimensions. I plan to order the 16 boards Monday and start framing this thing back together next weekend. I am not sure how to keep it out of the rain when I start putting it back together. I might have to make arrangements in the garage ..

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
During my lunch breaks and evenings at the house, I have been doing a virtual roof rebuild in the computer. I would get the best measurements I could, and build it piece by piece. I would get a piece in place, then the next and another, then I started looking and they were not matching up. So, I was going back out with a flashlight and rechecking the dimensions, back to the computer, back outside, back to the you get the point. I had some of the dimensions when I took the roof apart, and pictures to back them, so I know they are correct and there are fixed. Long story short, this roof was not put together symmetrically front to back. The rear plastic end cap is deeper than the front, the aluminum channel that holds the corners length wise are not centered on the skin panels. As a mechanical designer, this does not make any reasonable sense to me, so now what.

Ok, now on to plan C, or maybe its D, I have lost track. I am going to have to put the skin back together and triple check some of these dimensions. I am planning to use the old screw holes for alignment and see where that gets me.

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »
Todays progress -
Like i mentioned before, this roof is not symmetrical. I know it was build in '94-95, but hopefully they made some progress in their assembly.

After several hours of fitting, checking, moving, scratching my head, checking, moving, pulling some hair out, moving - again, you get the idea. I had to make some changes.

I put both corner channels in the same location on the outer skins. I left both end caps as they were build, except i cut a taper on the top edge of the front and it fit better. i fit them up against the corner channels and calling it good. Originaly the 2 channels were 1/4" off from lining up. One side is fixed, as the awning track is screwed through the skin into the channel. Once this is back together, i will remove it and reseal behind it.

i used nails to realign the outer skins down the middle, that helped a lot. I was then able to get a very solid dimension from the center of the overlap to the corner channel that is in place. Doubling that gave me the full width, and allowed me to temporarily set the other channel. I cut the first pieces of the roof, and made the front and rear cross pieces from 5/4x4 cedar (measure 1" x 3.5"). I cut temperary pieces for the sides from the scrap plywood from the caps. I went out on a risk and made them the same, would you know in the end i got it to work!

Fitting the plastic end caps on was another pain, but with a slight change to the top edge as mentioned earlier, and shifting the channel to match the other side front to rear, i almost got them fitting. for some reason there is a slight gap in the middle between the wood and plastic, but i think that will work out later. on the rear, the plastic was screwed down through the skin, not so in the front though.

Since there was enough tape on this roof, there were good witness marks for aligning the end caps to the sides of the skin. With several clamps and missing hair i got things back together.

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
after running some errands, i pulled it all back apart and turned the skins over. we still need to clean off the old tape and caulking. that entrabond tape does not want to be removed. I am using the paint stripper posted earlier, and it is doing a pretty good job.

Now for some advice / clarification -

since the skins overlap, do i need to caulk or the byutal tape the seam?

Offline jab2181

• Life Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »
Where mine over lapped I went a little overkill, after ac supports were installed and roof back on I did entrabond down the center then butyl tape then the center seam aluminum piece. I then used the dicor silicon on all the screws. I like being safer than sorr I am not rebuilding the roof again!!!! Lol  :) [PU]
Proud owners of a 1996 Jayco 1207, TV 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. DW of 8 years, DD Bailey, DD Kalei and Gus Gus the Frenchy.
 [CP] 2014 = 10

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:00 AM »
i have no interest in doing this again either!

Does anything go between the 2 layers of aluminum where they overlap? I assumed that was where the butyl tape needed to be.

Offline ricknpeg1

• Star Camper
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
My hat's off to you... What a huge undertaking... I'm sure when it's all done you'll be pretty proud. You will enjoy your pup for years
Rick 05 Fleetwood Niagra,07 Chevy Tahoe

Offline bols2Dawall

• Life Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »
i have no interest in doing this again either!

Does anything go between the 2 layers of aluminum where they overlap? I assumed that was where the butyl tape needed to be.

I would think whenever there is an overlap  butyl tape between the 2 pcs. should be applied along with sealing any seam with caulk or whatever .
2005 Fleetwood Colonial
attached to a 2009 TrailBlazer

Offline jab2181

• Life Camper
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 11:08:04 PM »
You do not want to put butyl between the aluminum just over the seam. If you put it in between the center seam piece will not fit properly to join the two pieces together.
 [CP] 2014 = 10

Offline benandbobbi

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
Time for some updates -
last weekend, some good progress was made. We painted the end cap frames, actually got the kids back into it. They let mom finish most of it though! I got the roof framed out with 5/4 cedar. Each joint was put together with a biscuit joint and gorilla glue. I clamped everything together the best i could. used some pipe clamps from the side to the middle. Had to use some rachet straps from front to rear. I bought some bricks at Lowes, and filled a few 5g buckets with water to help weigh everything down.

I can't find the pictures right now, so i will add them later