User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 360
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

2014 06 17 12 11 04B
 Views: 357
Posted by petlarfla
Jun 17, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

BedWedgies Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Towing ratings: GCWR vs. GVWR  (Read 1245 times)

Offline vulcan classic

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Towing ratings: GCWR vs. GVWR
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
I'm a little confused as to weight ratings. My TV (2012 2DR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/6-speed manual) has a GVWR of 6232# (per Jeep web site), GCWR of 6507, GAWR's 50%/50% (of GVWR?), 200# Max Tongue Wt, 2000# Gross Trailer Wt. and 4104# curb wt. (all per owners manual).

The O/M says GVWR includes driver, passengers, cargo and trailer tongue weight. It also says the GCWR includes 150# for driver, and curb weight includes all fluids and full fuel tank.

So in theory I could drive around (without the trailer) with 2128# of cargo/passengers! (6232-4104) This seems a bit high for some reason. So if pulling a trailer, the trailer (plus its cargo) must be </= 2000#, which leaves me with 203# for additional passengers/cargo in my TV (6507GCWR - 2000GTW - 4104 curb wt -  200 tongue weight) Is this correct?

Also, since I have installed a 3" HD suspension lift, does this help or hurt my overall numbers? I'm asssuming the HD shocks/springs in both front and rear would help with tongue weight, as opposed to the vehicles original stock suspension.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:10:17 PM by vulcan classic »

Offline Raycfe

• Eagle Camper
    • CT [CT]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Coleman Cheyenne
Re: Towing ratings: GCWR vs. GVWR
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
The most important figure to me is the GCWR   6232 lbs.   Combined Gross weight, jeep and trailer.  As for the GVWR that does sound correct. Do you think the Jeep could safely handle 4 500 lb people :)  Your larger tires may have more load capacity, but the higher height doesn't help. Larger tires also change the overall gear ratio. Makes it more like overdrive ..... less power more speed once you get it going. That is going the wrong way for towing anything. And my last 2 cents .... the weak part is the clutch and transmission, with they do not make like they use to.
Ray, Jin and Quincy,
2000 Coleman Cheyenne, [PU]
04 Grand Cherokee , 00 GMC Jimmy

Offline CamL48

• Eagle Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
I think you're mostly right on the numbers.

GVWR is the total amount of weight you can have in your vehicle.  People, gear, tongue weight (the weight of the trailer directly placed onto the vehicle's structure), optional equipment, aftermarket parts, etc.

So, if you have 6,232 GVWR and a dry weight of 4,104, then you have 2,128 of capacity on that vehicle.  So, yes, you can have over 2,000 lbs of gasoline, oil, water in radiator, people, gear, etc.  I agree that this sounds high, but it is what it is.

The GCWR is 6,507 and that is the sum of the vehicle weight and the trailer weight.  Notice that the GCWR < GVWR + Tow capacity.  That is, you cannot max out the tow capacity (2,000) and the actual vehicle at the same time or you'll be way over your GCWR.  You already acknowledge this, but just pointing it out.

So, if you max out your trailer at 2,000 lbs, then you'll have only 400 lbs left (6504-4104-2000).  I believe that If you figure 10% of the trailer is on the tongue, then you're pulling 1,800 lbs and have 200 lbs on the TV.  Otherwise, you're double-counting that weight.  The weight is either transfered, via hitch, to the TV as payload or it stays with the trailer as towed ... but not both.

Gas and oil is usually between 100 - 130 lbs, depending on fuel tank capacity.  Gas is ~6 lbs/gal.

The 3" HD suspension will hurt your numbers ... as will anything else that is not-stock.  So, winches, nerf bars, hi-lift jack, etc.  It's all gear that your vehicle is towing/carrying.  If you upped your tires, then the spare hanging on your rear door is probably a lot heavier than stock, too.

So, 100 lbs of suspension components, 100 lbs of gasoline in the tank, one 175-lb adult, 25 lbs of luggage/gear, and a 2,000 lb trailer ... you're maxed out.

Good luck.
2007 Fleetwood Utah
2006 Ford Explorer V8
"Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies."

Online bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
GCWR 6,507 lbs, I believe the total cargo capacity ~900 or a GVWR ~5000.

Another thing to consider for towing is with a 200 lb TW limit and let's say 12% of the total trailer weight as TW, you are limited to 200/.12 = 1666 lb loaded trailer. Gets worse if you use 15% tongue weight.
"All we want are the facts, ma'am"
'07 Chevy Colorado 3.7L I5

Offline vulcan classic

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »
The most important figure to me is the GCWR   6232 lbs.   Combined Gross weight, jeep and trailer.  As for the GVWR that does sound correct. Do you think the Jeep could safely handle 4 500 lb people :)  Your larger tires may have more load capacity, but the higher height doesn't help. Larger tires also change the overall gear ratio. Makes it more like overdrive ..... less power more speed once you get it going. That is going the wrong way for towing anything. And my last 2 cents .... the weak part is the clutch and transmission, with they do not make like they use to.

GCWR is 6507 per owners manual

Online bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
What does the tire loading placard on the door pillar say about max cargo load, etc?

Offline vulcan classic

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
I think you're mostly right on the numbers.

GVWR is the total amount of weight you can have in your vehicle.  People, gear, tongue weight (the weight of the trailer directly placed onto the vehicle's structure), optional equipment, aftermarket parts, etc.

So, if you have 6,232 GVWR and a dry weight of 4,104, then you have 2,128 of capacity on that vehicle.  So, yes, you can have over 2,000 lbs of gasoline, oil, water in radiator, people, gear, etc.  I agree that this sounds high, but it is what it is.

The GCWR is 6,507 and that is the sum of the vehicle weight and the trailer weight.  Notice that the GCWR < GVWR + Tow capacity.  That is, you cannot max out the tow capacity (2,000) and the actual vehicle at the same time or you'll be way over your GCWR.  You already acknowledge this, but just pointing it out.

So, if you max out your trailer at 2,000 lbs, then you'll have only 400 lbs left (6504-4104-2000).  I believe that If you figure 10% of the trailer is on the tongue, then you're pulling 1,800 lbs and have 200 lbs on the TV.  Otherwise, you're double-counting that weight.  The weight is either transfered, via hitch, to the TV as payload or it stays with the trailer as towed ... but not both.

Gas and oil is usually between 100 - 130 lbs, depending on fuel tank capacity.  Gas is ~6 lbs/gal.

The 3" HD suspension will hurt your numbers ... as will anything else that is not-stock.  So, winches, nerf bars, hi-lift jack, etc.  It's all gear that your vehicle is towing/carrying.  If you upped your tires, then the spare hanging on your rear door is probably a lot heavier than stock, too.

So, 100 lbs of suspension components, 100 lbs of gasoline in the tank, one 175-lb adult, 25 lbs of luggage/gear, and a 2,000 lb trailer ... you're maxed out.

Good luck.

Ok so GVWR and GCWR are not simultaneous ratings, its one or the other, that makes sense; the dry/curb weight includes all fluids and full fuel tank per owners manual; and I also need to allow for weight of vehicle mods (oversized tires/wheels, bumper/winch, etc.

Online bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
You are limited by the GVWR for the vehicle as well as limited by the GCWR with a trailer attached, simultaneously.

Online bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
2013 2DR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/6-speed manual

Max payload: 921 pounds, 4WD, per jeep.com
http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/towing/#WranglerTab,

The O/M suggests looking on the door pillar for the loading placard for this information.

Offline vulcan classic

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »
2013 2DR Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/6-speed manual

Max payload: 921 pounds, 4WD, per jeep.com
http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/towing/#WranglerTab,

The O/M suggests looking on the door pillar for the loading placard for this information.

I have 2012, stock GVWR is 5100# per door placard, so subtracting dry/curb weight of 4104 leaves 996 for cargo/passengers and mods

But,
GCWR per O/M is 6507#, so in order to get to 2000# GTW I would have to be at 4507# actual vehicle weight, including cargo, passengers, mods, etc;

So that leaves me with 403#, not much to work with

Offline CamL48

• Eagle Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Yep, the GVWR is a completely meaningless number when you're towing anything with that Wrangler.  Once you hitch up, you'll never touch the GVWR ... it'll all be about the GCWR.  No matter how you slice it, you end up with ~400 lbs to cover all of your vehicle aftermarket options, passengers, cargo, and camping gear.

Based on your other thread, you have competing problems.

You won't be able to pack any gear in your ~2,000 lb trailer because the Wrangler can't tow it.  You won't be able to pack anything in your Wrangler because it can't haul it.  You might have to go with the two-vehicle camping experience.

Good luck.
2007 Fleetwood Utah
2006 Ford Explorer V8
"Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies."

Offline vulcan classic

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
Well considering that my TV ratings are likely on the conservative side at 2000#, and with the inclusion of electric brakes and brake controller, along with the anti-sway hitch kit, and since we most likely will be using facility water hook ups, it's highly likely my cargo load would be kept to a minimum, so worst case maybe 150-200# over GCWR.

Online bupkis

• Eagle Camper
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »
Don't ignore the GVWR or for that matter the axle ratings. They have meaning.
Your vehicle likely weighs several hundred lbs more than the dry weight.
Avoid placing cargo in the rear cargo area, it is best to put cargo in the trailer if within limits since only a fraction of it goea against the GVWR.

Conservative tow rating, hum. Is it cooling capacity, vehicle geometry, drivetrain, warranty, manual transmission, etc? Who knows. For whatever reason the tow rating is limited to 2000 lb and 25 sq-ft frontal area.

This is not the forum for me to suggest you exceed any rating, been there and had post deleted.  [V]

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 12:08:12 AM »
I think it is a bad idea to exceed any of the ratings.  If you were involved in an accident that caused injury or property damage to someone else and it was discovered during the investigation that you had exceeded any of the ratings you could have a serious liability problem.
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline Deskpilot

• Star Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »
Consider having your Jeep weighed. Leave it in its NEW configuration, full of gas, spare tire mounted, you at drivers seat, etc. Weigh it at 3 positions, all 4 wheels, and then at each axle by itself. That will give you a new curb weight for your Jeep AS EQUIPPED. You will also have correct weights from which to work from regarding the GAWR. The GVWR and CVWR don't change, but your new weight will re-base your curb weight. The smaller gap from the new curb weight to GVWR is what you are now working with.

[size=78%]http://catscale.com/[/size]
94 Ranger V6 3.0 5sp
or 08 Escape V6 (with e-trailer parts)
2012 nights camping 2 :-)

BedWedgiesâ„¢ Brand new and made from high-quality cast aluminum, these are the solution to your broken plastic bed rail slider ends.