User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 719
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

I got it!
 Views: 167
Posted by rfd21170
Oct 21, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Trailer brakes by buildintechie
[Today at 06:25:37 AM]

Broken Foot by fallsrider
[Today at 05:22:53 AM]

Good news, everyone! by PNW Family
[Today at 03:03:28 AM]

First time popup owner! by gardenbliss
[Today at 01:34:10 AM]

Front Storage Box Repair by Dubbya
[Today at 01:32:10 AM]

2015 - California Winter Rally - Potluck by gardenbliss
[Today at 01:29:27 AM]

2006 Fleetwood Niagara Pop up VIN # by mart656
[Today at 01:28:11 AM]

2014 Midwest Halloween Rally by efehser
[Today at 01:11:14 AM]

Supplies for setting up by Snow
[Today at 12:35:15 AM]

Keeping Warm by davido
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Travelers with CCL's by Creeppingcharlie
[Today at 12:20:45 AM]

2015 - Texas Sweetheart Rally by Indy
[Today at 12:08:21 AM]

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Door not square on popup when top is up.  (Read 1135 times)

Offline 97Widerider

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Door not square on popup when top is up.
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
When my Viking is buttoned up, the door is mostly square.  When the top is up there is more of a noticeable gap at the door and the door latch doesn't catch that well.  It appears as if the rear of the unit may be sitting lower because when i use a jack on the bumper , I can close the gap and square it off a bit.

I am under the understanding that you aren't suppose to jack up you camper anywhere with a jack or the stabilzers because this can warp the frame so I don't plan to use jacks to correct this problem.  However, I haven't added blocks under the tire of the door side so I am thinking my camper may not be completely level on my driveway.  Additionally,  I have an A/C unit that sits closer to the back side of the camper so maybe that extra weight when open is causing it to be lower on the back.  Not real sure what is going on here. 

Thanks

Offline Lauren5280

• Star Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Door not square on popup when top is up.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:07:52 PM »
I have a Viking and I have the same problem!  I would love to hear any solutions.
2007 Viking 1906, 2007 Ford F150
DH - Daniel, Kids - Elyssa & Xander, Dog - Zoe
Nights Camped in 2012,30 - 2013,13

Offline OhSoCampy

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
We're also having this problem. Put it up for the first time today. We can't get the door set right. One thing that helped a little was to adjust the bars above one of the beds. It moved the top a little and closed the gap. But we can't get it right!

Any tips welcome.

1999 Coachmen Clipper 1265S
This is our first PUP - purchased April 2013! TV is a 2009 Ford Flex

New owner of a 1999 Coachmen Clipper 1265 S
Towing with a 2009 Ford Flex
West Michigan

Offline froggie

• Star Camper
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
Our door on our palomino will not shut properly unless the camper is practically, perfectly level.
2011 Palomino

Offline 97Widerider

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
OK, I am feeling a little better knowing others with newer campers are having the same problem.  Thanks.   I have only set the camper up in my garage or driveway since I got it so I know the ground isn't level.  Everything slopes to allow water to run off.  I need to get a few 2x6s and put under the tire to see if that fixes it.  I also noticed the canvas is pulled tighter on the door side as well.

Offline yetibiker

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • WI [WI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
The problem is that your camper box is sagging with the bunk ends out. You can check this with a chalk line, some tape and a string

With the PUP folded up tight as a drum, measure and mark up 12" from the bottom of the siding toward the front, and again toward the back. Snap a chalk line between these marks.

Then set up your camper like you normally would. Once the bunk ends are out and everything is in camping position, tape a string between your two marks. You will notice that the string does not follow the chalk line perfectly. This indicates that there is deflection taking place. This is caused by rot in your wall or floor. The hinge of your door is screwed to this sagging wall. That causes the door to move with the hinge, and the latch to not line up.

Repairs are in order. They will consist of removing the bunk end, cabinet, flooring, and Luan in the soft area. Bad wood must be cut out, and new wood must be mended into place. All exterior trim should be removed, cleaned, re fastened and caulked. Any additional water damage needs to be fixed as it gets found.

Either that, or live with it. It will get worse. People on Craigslist are always looking for a cheap PUP that may need some work when I gets too bad.

Offline TheBerrys

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our RV Trips
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 12:15:09 AM »
I agree with the yeti. We had the same problem with our Palomino. Here are some pictures of the problem we found http://sdrv.ms/ZjW11z and here are come pictures of the solution. http://sdrv.ms/1025de8

Good Luck
Dick
1977 Palomino Yearling
2013 Ford Escape
Albuquerque, NM

Offline 97Widerider

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • IN [IN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
I notice the gap even without the bunk ends out.  I was fooling around with it in my garage and didn't have room to pull out the bunk end of the sagging side so the weight of that bunkend was not a contributor to the problem.  Just the same,  I will be cutting a piece of the vinyl flooring under the sink and the cabinet on opposing side to see if I see or feel any rot.  I kind of doubt it though because the unit seems very solid underneath on that end by just poking hard with a screwdriver and the vinyle doesn't show any evidence of water damage.   However, if that is the case, I think I can fix it thanks to the pics posted here. Thanks.

I called Viking and they told me to put the door together before I pull the bunk ends out for that will tighten the gap as long as it is level.  I really think leveling is my problem here, or at least I am hoping so. 

Anyway,  as long as there is no rot, I can live with it.

Offline TheBerrys

• Camper, 1st Class
    • NM [NM]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our RV Trips
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:34:29 PM »
You should be able to see and feel any floor rot you may have from under the PUP. Poke around with a screwdriver from the bottom before you rip up any vinyl.

Dick
1977 Palomino Yearling
2013 Ford Escape
Albuquerque, NM

Offline ccptbo

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
Thanks for all the info as we are having the same issue with our 2003 Jayco Qwest.  We also just learned, thanks to all of you, that we are not supposed to level the trailer with the stabilizer bars.  Go figure!!! 
We will be trying the "wood under tire" method next.
Here's hoping.
Melissa('75) and Greg('74). DS '05, DD '07
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A - TV - 2014 F-150 5.0L V8
2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
Lemme guess, it looks like this?

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=50236.msg385468#msg385468

As was mentioned earlier, if you put some weight (get the DW and kids to climb in there) in the extended rear bunk, you'll notice that it causes the rear wall to flex, bowing outward and the rear sidewall directly behind the door rocks away at the top edge of the door. You'll also notice that the bottom rearmost corner of the sidewall collapsing as well.

You'll notice that the 1" x 1-1/2" wall framing in your camper is stapled from pillar to post. Makes it easy enough to fabricate but those wire staples tend to work loose at the best of times, so it's pretty much inevitable that things are going to become progressively worse over time.

There's not a lot to the rear wall and it's not very sturdy. Short of pulling the rear end apart to beef it up, there's not much you can do about that, so if you're not willing to go all the way with it, about all you can do for that problem is try to avoid putting too much weight in the bunk.

Similarly, if you really want to address the sidewall issues, there are several things you can do to help alleviate the problem and deal with the enormous amount of stress in the rear sidewall section. All of them involve opening up the wall to reinforce the joints and properly anchor the metal wall brace (there should be a metal angle iron frame inside the wall) to the floor and the surrounding wooden wall framing. Finally, if you really want to go all out, you can use hammer in mending plates to stiffen and secure any wall joints. When you're reassembling the wall, you can also use PL Premium adhesive to glue the inside luan to the wall framing and staple it in place. Once that stuff cures, it's incredibly strong.

In your case, you'll probably find that the posts on either side of the lift post holes are held together on one side by a piece of sheet metal which is tacked on with staples.

Adding a second piece of sheet metal to the inside of the wall posts and screwing it in place, then doing the same thing to the outer piece of tin (inside the wall) helps prevent the posts from twisting under load.

Here's a shot of the opposite rear corner with the top section of the rear wall framing in place. You'll notice mending plates on every joint and tin is screwed to the posts inside and outside of the lift post "pocket". Also, you'll notice that the framing in the rearmost sections that fasten to the rear wall are framed with 1-1/2"x3". The endwall sections were screwed to the sidewall corners using countersunk 1/4"x 3" self-drilling screws and washers.

Additionally, the outer skin on the rear wall is only affixed with staples and the weight transfer may have caused them to pull out or pull through the tin. No worries, if you think it'll help, you can pound the staples back into the underside of the floor then screw a piece of 1" aluminum angle to pinch the bottom edge of the skin to the underside of the floor. The angle is cheap and I used one screw per 12" at both the front and rear of the camper.

Of course it's easier to do all this when the whole camper is apart and I'd certainly understand your not wanting to tear into yours to this extent but hopefully seeing all this gives you some insight, a better understanding of the issue and a few ideas that might be helpful. Again, whatever you decide to do, the best course of action going forward would be to avoid overloading the rear bunk.

More info and pics in my rebuild thread. Click the camera under my username to go there.
The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much that ain't so.  ~Josh Billings

Offline ccptbo

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:37 AM »
Thanks Dubbya! Ours is a bit like that but more of a noticeable difference with a gap in between the 2-piece door.  And then when we eventually get them together, the top left side (looking at door from outside) protrudes out from the frame an inch or half-inch. Just more of a spot for bugs to come in, is all. could be a lot worse!

Thanks for all the tidbits.

Melissa
Melissa('75) and Greg('74). DS '05, DD '07
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A - TV - 2014 F-150 5.0L V8
2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline Dubbya

• Eagle Camper
    • MB [MB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Dubbya's Popup Camper Mods Page
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »
Sounds like you've got the right attitude about it! Happy camping!
The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much that ain't so.  ~Josh Billings

Bear Creek Canvas