User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1081
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 210
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

2015 California Winter Rally Jan. 16-18, 2015 by 94-D2
[Today at 02:18:01 AM]

Has Anyone Bought Tires From Amazon? by fix_it
[Today at 02:07:38 AM]

1995 Jayco 1006 Axle Part Number "translation" to Dexter? by fix_it
[Today at 02:05:51 AM]

Why can we all afford trailers? by Arruba
[Today at 12:59:02 AM]

Attitudes by Ted S.
[Today at 12:55:14 AM]

Pop Up Gizmo Mods by davido
[Today at 12:30:15 AM]

Hello from NC by Nandy
[Yesterday at 11:53:15 PM]

Bunk end bungy cord by smokey41
[Yesterday at 11:49:36 PM]

Chilly Nights with the Young'uns? by elkmontb10
[Yesterday at 10:59:46 PM]

Tire Trouble Continues! Help! by adrianpglover
[Yesterday at 10:58:17 PM]

Hiya! by CampingBadger
[Yesterday at 10:47:48 PM]

New owner by CampingBadger
[Yesterday at 10:40:17 PM]

PopUpGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: how to swap out the hand crank to electric winch for raising roof on 95 polomino  (Read 704 times)

Offline Lowboy

• Tenderfoot
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
 [?:~{] im having thoughts of swaping out my hand crank to electric winch but its my first pop up and havent had it out yet,i bought it last year at the end of the season.the hand crank handle skips and the bolt behind it keeps getting lossen. the roof goes up and down smoothly but i just wanted to know have anyone done this type of converting yet, and if so please steer me in the right direction,because i was looking at electric winchs online and needed to know what kind to get and how to convert it. thank you. and yes im a new member and i got so excited when i ran across this site..havent slept since :)just found out how to post [RTM] thank you for reading and look forward for reply/help/new friends :)
CAMP OR STAY HOME BORED.

Offline pafree

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
i have had thoughts about doing the same but not sure to use 12 volt or 110 volt.  my pup doesn't have a battery but one could be added to work the winch.  it does have a ac to dc power invertor but it doesn't put out many amps.    a battery would be nice if i camped off the grid. 

there is this style http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/power-in-power-out-3000-lb-capacity-12-volt-electric-winch-96455.html that would fit better in the place of the original crank.

there is another 12 volt version but would take up a little more room.  http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/2000-lb-electric-atvutv-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68146-8041.html

this is the 110 version  http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/winches/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-96127.html

the second and third would take more room but my brainstorm ideal would be to put a pulley where  the orginal crank is and have the winch in the first compartment.  i would loose compartment space but less hand cranking.  replace the cable coming from the orginal crank to the square plate (has a name but can't remember it) with a eyebolt that the hook with lock from the power winch could hook on to.   the con would be if you didn't have power then there would be way to get the roof up.

with the first one,  you would have the option of power or hand cranking.  the hand crank on that winch might not be in the same hole but things could be modified.

all my theories are still in design stage but you know about idle minds.
1996 Jayco Eagle series 10
new to us and needs lots of loving but getting better.
2000 Ford Explorer XLS.

Offline Starcraft Away

• Eagle Camper
    • NB [NB]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
Why not get a fitting from custom cylinders , you just put it on high tourqe drill  and voila . They work great with no work or retro fitting

[:D]
[HY] 2010 Starcraft Travelstar 197rb
[PUT] 2007 F150 4.6  V8 with Tow Package

Offline Nordic440

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Niagara RV
the Carefree pop up winch will bolt right in, just hook to a battery and go!

http://www.amazon.com/Carefree-P30001-Pop-up-Camper-Lift/dp/B003VASIV4
RVIA & Red Seal Certified RV Technician
05 Escape V6 2wd
04 Rockwood Freedom 2290

Offline brianbigdogsmith

• Life Camper
    • MI [MI]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
I checked out putting a electric crank on my Colman and they run 300 just for the part and another hundred to install it

Offline snyjim

• Tenderfoot
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
did you ever think of using a cordless drill . that's what I use on my coleman pop up. use a deep well socket put tw slots in the socket so it fits on the crank shaft .works great .craftsman 18 volt

PopUpGizmos Cooler Covers