User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Upcoming Rallies

Weekly Photo

Anza Borrego Indian Head Mtn: Sunset
 Views: 1077
Posted by ChocoChock01
Mar 12, 2013
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

Calman Trike and Pop-up
 Views: 206
Posted by Calman
Dec 02, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

Boondocking, it's not that hard by lifespeed
[Today at 01:31:47 AM]

2015 - California Winter Rally - Potluck by nancyanddan
[Today at 01:04:37 AM]

Jayco Eagle 1208 to part out. by saratogaowner
[Today at 12:35:42 AM]

What is camping.. Pictures ONLY! by Electric Cowboy
[Today at 12:28:13 AM]

Possible 2015 Rally Dates and Locations - New England by jnc
[Today at 12:23:01 AM]

What do you while traveling to your camp destination by RotnMom
[Today at 12:08:15 AM]

2015 - Carolina Winter Rally by Nandy
[Yesterday at 11:55:58 PM]

2015 3rd Annual Illinois Spring Rally by ill.plainsman
[Yesterday at 11:52:42 PM]

New owner by RotnMom
[Yesterday at 11:47:08 PM]

2015 - Carolina Winter Rally - Potluck by RotnMom
[Yesterday at 11:39:58 PM]

Hello from British Columbia! by jnc
[Yesterday at 11:16:44 PM]

Getting a New TV ! :) by jnc
[Yesterday at 11:09:48 PM]

ORCCGEAR.COM - ORCC Gear Store, Quality Gear for the Outdoor Enthusiast
See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Towing weight  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Campinginga

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Towing weight
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
My vehicle has a towing weight of 3600 lbs. Front wheel drive SUV, V6. Can it safely tow a camper weighing 3300 lbs?

Offline RockyRoo

• Eagle Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Towing weight
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
Many more variables than that, but just because it says you can tow that much doesn't mean you SHOULD.   Also keep in mind that if the trailer is 3300 pounds, the added cargo and passengers will put it way over weight.   I wouldn't do it, sounds like it is time to start looking for a more capable tow vehicle
Jay, Michelle (Mrs. Rocky Roo), Erin, King, Buddy & Duke
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 4x4 Z71
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S

Offline gec66

• Life Camper
    • OH [OH]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:39:51 PM »
Maybe you should tell us the year/make/model of both the SUV and the pup so we can help you figure it out with a little more information.  Also, how many people will be camping with you?
2007 Honda Odyssey/2004 Fleetwood Bayside Elite
Reese Single Bar 400lb WDH
Prodigy 2 Brake Controller

Offline CamL48

• Eagle Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
Maybe you should tell us the year/make/model of both the SUV and the pup so we can help you figure it out with a little more information.  Also, how many people will be camping with you?
x2.  We can't help you if you don't tell us what you have.
2007 Fleetwood Utah
2006 Ford Explorer V8
"Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies."

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
Beyond simple towing capacity, there are things like tongue weight limits, axle load limits, a limit on the total weight of the the two vehicles (and everything in them) combined, etc.
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
Also, is that a "wet" or "dry" 3,300 lbs?  If it's a published dry weight you will need to add weight for all optional equipment, water tank capacity (8 lbs/gallon if you want to tow with it full), battery (50-70 lbs) and propane bottles (~40 lbs each full).  You could easily end up with another 300 lbs and possibly a lot more depending on what it's equipped with that's not included in "dry weight".  Is the refrigerator, water heater, stove, potty, etc optional or standard for this model?  If optional it's likely not included in that 3,300 lbs.

Even if that is a true "wet" weight I think you're cutting it too close.  300 lbs of gear, food, ice chests, etc. adds up in no time when you're leaving town with everything you need for a few days.  Even if it's "safe" you're gong to do a lot of wear and tear on that little front wheel drive SUV towing/hauling at 100% capacity very often. You need to look at smaller campers or larger tow vehicles.
2006 Fleetwood Evolution E2
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline Campinginga

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone for enlightening me on the subject. I had the same feeling of being to close to towing limits. LOL--the "salesman" assured me it would be ok. Nothing can replace experiences and knowledge of fellow campers.
It's generally just me and the wife camping and sometime our grandson.
Thanks again !!!

Offline speckhunter80

• Eagle Camper
    • NC [NC]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »
Most likely NOT!
2007 GMC Sierra WT 1500 chased by a 2003.5 Coleman Bayside Elite.  Half mile off the ICW and a mile from Bear Island.  Shell Rock Landing Hubert, NC

Offline Jeff d

• Camper, 1st Class
    • LA [LA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
If you're going to stick with this vehicle I would't even bother looking at something wih a dry weight above 2,500 or a wet weight over about 2,800.  If you're buying from a dealer ask them to tow it to a truckstop or scrap yard with scales for you so you can weigh it before you commit.

The problem you may have is that campers of that size often have no brakes.  You could get away with it if you had a full size truck but you will certainly need brakes with a trailer that's 70%+ of the rated capacity for your vehicle.  So, look for one with brakes or plan on adding them.  Usually there are provisions on the axle to bolt up the backing plates even if they aren't equipped with brakes.  If you're buying from a dealer work that into the deal along with a proportional brake controller and 7 pin wiring (complete with 12 or 10 gauge charging lead) for your vehicle.  If you're buying from a private seller there are plenty of threads on here to get you through those projects on your own.
2006 Fleetwood Evolution E2
2003 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Offline CamL48

• Eagle Camper
    • CO [CO]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
Thanks to everyone for enlightening me on the subject. I had the same feeling of being to close to towing limits. LOL--the "salesman" assured me it would be ok. Nothing can replace experiences and knowledge of fellow campers.
It's generally just me and the wife camping and sometime our grandson.
Thanks again !!!
Seriously, tell us what you have, with details, and we can help you quite a bit.  Why all the secrets?
2007 Fleetwood Utah
2006 Ford Explorer V8
"Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies."

Offline turborich

• Eagle Camper
    • NV [NV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
Whether your vehicle can safely tow it or not one thing is almost always the same. A salesperson will just about always tell you whatever they have to so they can get the sale. They are a bunch of liars and this is why you should always be familiar with your vehicles limitations before heading to buy a trailer. Folks used to come in with a Jeep Wrangler with a towing capacity of 3500 pounds, they would have a 6-7 thousand  pound trailer behind it! Always the same thing, the dealer said it would be just fine.

In your case I would be more worried about the tongue weight than the overall weight based on the limited information that has been provided. I wouldn't recommend either however I would rather pull a trailer that's at it weight limit any day vs one that has too much tongue weight.  [2C]
2000 Jayco Eagle 12 UDST
2000 Ford Expedition XLT
~MOLON LABE~

Offline Campinginga

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • GA [GA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 01:15:42 AM »
Sorry--I got busy--I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with towing package. Towing weight of 3600 lbs and tongue weight of 350 lbs.

Offline n2cruzn

• Star Camper
    • NY [NY]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:38 AM »
I wouldn't do it. just my  [2C]   maximums are under ideal circumstances I would think, watcha gonna do well you are facing a 3 mile hill in wet weather and then try to stop or climb [V]
Dan
2013 Forest River A-Frame
2007 Honda Pilot

Offline Snow

• Eagle Camper
    • ON [ON]
    • CA [CAN]
    • View Profile
    • Pictures
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:37 AM »
Even with the factory tow package, I think your better off looking for lighter trailer, something in the 2800 lb range would be good and allow a cushion on the numbers ..   

Craig
[:D] Me, [::)] DW, [8D] DS1, [8D] DS2, [}:)] Da Dog.
2005 Outback 21RS Pushing a 2012  Dodge Ram. 2014 Ontario Summer Rally Member - July 4-6/2014

Offline Unstable_Tripod

• Eagle Camper
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 02:11:10 AM »
If the 3,300 pounds you quoted for the camper is dry weight then I'd have to say no because it will weight significantly more with options and cargo.  Dry weight doesn't include things like awnings, batteries or propane cylinders.  Those alone could add about 100 pounds (and the battery and propane are usually on the tongue).  Then there is the actual cargo.  When you ask what a trailer weighs, ask for the gross weight.

Tongue weight is usually 10-15% of actual trailer weight, loaded and ready to travel.  Even at 3,300 pounds, that's 330-495 pounds. So, a loaded trailer would most likely be over your tongue weight limit of 350 pounds.  There is another factor to consider here as well.  Heavy tongue weight not only pushes the back end of the vehicle down (loads it), it also pushes the front end up (unloads it).  This is not desirable with any vehicle because a lighter front end can negatively affect steering and braking but you have a front wheel drive vehicle and that means traction could also be negatively affected.  I agree with the others and suggest that you find something much lighter.
2011 RAM 1500 Laramie Quad Cab and 2009 TrailManor 2619

"Hook-ups are chains that bind you to uninteresting places."

PopUpGizmos - Pre-Christmas Free Shipping