User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Quick Forum Search

Who's Online

Weekly Photo

Pink Flamingo Hunter
 Views: 360
Posted by gerrybates1
May 12, 2012
in This Week's Photo Winner

Checkout My Rig

2014 06 17 12 11 04B
 Views: 359
Posted by petlarfla
Jun 17, 2014
in Checkout My Rig

Recent Topics

See fewer ads! Become a free PopUpPortal member. Click here to Register

Author Topic: Looking at Rockwood 1980  (Read 3487 times)

Offline lmeister

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • MD [MD]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Looking at Rockwood 1980
« on: May 05, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »
Hello All,

As stated in my introduce yourself section, I, my wife, my 2 kids (5 and 10 months) are looking at buying a 2007 Rockwood 1980 popup as our first camper.  We have been tent camping for years and LOVE it.  I really have nothing but questions at this point:

1. Anyone who owns a Rockwood, please comment on your appreciate your feedback on any model, but a 1980 would be even better.

2. How important is the heater and air conditioner.

3. When you have electric items in the camper, lights, sink with running water, etc, I know that you can connect them to the electric hookups at a campground.  I notice that they call out the service as 30 amps, 50 amps etc at campgrounds.  Which is the kind I will need, or does that depend on my model?

4. When I do not have a hookup, I think I can run items off of the battery supplied with the camper, correct?  How do I recharge these?  How long do they last?

5. Do most campgrounds have facilities for filling up your water, etc?

6. This camper has an outdoor barbeque - are these a cool item and run off propane?

7.  How easy are popups to open up?

8.  Can you store items in the void spaces and cabinetry and then close up the camper?

9.  Are there any specific amenities that I really want to look for or specific things to avoid?

Thanks to all who read and respond.  God Bless you for your help.

Lawrence and Barbie
Hampstead, MD

-Lawrence and Barbie Smith
 Hampstead, MD

Offline happpybooker1

• Camper, 1st Class
    • TX [TX]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Looking at Rockwood 1980
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »
1. Anyone who owns a Rockwood, please comment on your appreciate your feedback on any model, but a 1980 would be even better.

I have a Rockwood 1940 LTD -- close enough??

2. How important is the heater and air conditioner.

Depends on where/how/what time of year you camp. I have camped in NM in December (freezing) & have just used the heated mattress pads & 2 space (cube type) heaters. I have not used the built-in heater. The AC I could NOT do without -- camping in Texas in the summer would be MISERABLE!!

3. When you have electric items in the camper, lights, sink with running water, etc, I know that you can connect them to the electric hookups at a campground. I notice that they call out the service as 30 amps, 50 amps etc at campgrounds. Which is the kind I will need, or does that depend on my model?

Pop ups only use up to the 30A. If you don't have AC you can get by with 20A I believe. But I always get 30A sites.

4. When I do not have a hookup, I think I can run items off of the battery supplied with the camper, correct? How do I recharge these? How long do they last?

Have to check with someone else -- I don't boondock.

5. Do most campgrounds have facilities for filling up your water, etc?

All the ones I've been to so far do. However you would need a short or long water hose to connect to the water fauctets.

6. This camper has an outdoor barbeque - are these a cool item and run off propane?

Not familiar with it.

7. How easy are popups to open up?

Mine, my 10-YO son & I pop up with no problem. It's sometimes only me going so I've also done it by myself.

8. Can you store items in the void spaces and cabinetry and then close up the camper?

Yep. Even leave pillows & blankets on the beds if you wish. Trial & error -- if it won't close you've got too much!

9. Are there any specific amenities that I really want to look for or specific things to avoid?

Ummmm, too broad a question. Some swear by built-in toilets/showers, some make do with what the campground offers. Awnings are nice, but not totally necessary. Outdoor rugs to lay outside the door & keep some of the dirt out are nice.

Welcome to the world of Pups!

Me (mature)
DS (10)
'04 CRV
'02 Rockwood Freedom 1940 LTD
36 nights camped in '06!
4 nights camped in '07 (so far!)

Offline tnchuck100

• Star Camper
    • TN [TN]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Looking at Rockwood 1980
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »
2. It's a matter of comfort. If you are planning camping trips south the A/C will definitely be a plus.

3. Most pop-up campers are set up for 30 amp service.

4. Your ceiling lights, water pump, ceiling fan, and furnace fan can run from the battery. Some converters will charge the battery. Some will not. Check the manual that comes with yours. If it is not designed to charge the you will want a 3 stage charger. How long does it last? That is a very dependent answer. It's mathematics. Your battery has so many amp/hours. Your electrical items each use amps. This link will explain a lot about using battery power: The 12volt Side of Life

Note: Rockwood 1980 has a 25 amp converter/charger.

5. Most commercial campgrounds have water. Some state/national parks may not.

6. This is another personal preference. I use a charcoal grill outside.

7. Popping up and down takes practice. The more you do it the easier it gets.

8. Simple answer: Yes.

9. Ceiling fan is nice. An accumulator on the water pump is a must. A battery cut-off switch is good too. Some things would come under the category of modifications that you might make after you purchase it.

Hope this helps some.

Chuck & Mary - Sparta, Tennessee
'00 Dodge Dakota '05 Palomino Pony 280
'03 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic '04 Timeout

Edited by - tnchuck100 on May 05 2007  21:57:05
Chuck & Mary - Sparta, Tennessee
'02 Chevy Suburban '08 Flagstaff Micro Lite 18FBR
'03 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic-  '04 Timeout

Offline jhower

• Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Looking at Rockwood 1980
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 06:26:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Lawrence & Barbara!

We've been camping in a 1989 Coleman and just yesterday bought a 2007 Flagstaff 620ST. In the Coleman we had a hand-pumped faucet, no built in heater and no A/C. The 620 has an on-demand water pump, water heater, fridge, furnace and we're having A/C installed right away.

The amenities in a PUP are as important as you want them to be. It depends on your style of camping, although on a hot July or August day, A/C will sure be nice to have!

Campgrounds that offer 50 amp service almost always have a 20 and 30 amp outlet available on the same post. Your PUP will use 30 amp. It's a good idea to get an adapter for those times when you want to plug in at home or end up at a site with only 20 amp service.

The outside grill again is a matter of preference. It can be nice to have, though. We do most of our cooking over a fire but always carry a Coleman stove, and it sees a lot of use. I can see the grill getting a good bit of use, too.

Popping up and down gets easier each time you do it, and it's not hard even the first time. You'll find that you develop a system so each of you has specific duties and a specific order to do them. Our new 620 has an electric lift, which I'm looking forward to!

You'll be amazed at how much stuff can be stored in the PUP. We emptied the Coleman last evening and, when I see the amount of stuff now sitting in my workshop, scratch my head wondering where is all came from. Of course, nothing that can be harmed by heat or cold should be stored permanently inside nor should things that will attract critters, especially when stored for the winter.

In addition to the electrical adapter, you'll want to buy an RV (white) water hose to fill your fresh water tank. Don't use a regular garden hose. You'll also need to get wheel chocks and decide what you want to use for leveling.

Good luck, enjoy your new Rockwood and feel free to ask any questions at all!

John & Cindy in Pennsylvania
'89 Coleman Sun Valley
'95 Dodge Dakota 4x2 3.9L
His & Hers Pelican kayaks
http://community.webshots.com/user/jhower55
John & Cindy
'04 F150 Lariat, '08 Fleetwood Niagara

Offline mercman

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Camping Adventures
Looking at Rockwood 1980
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
I'm a happy owner of a freedom 1980. I love it, espeaciallly the lounge and the double dinette. The lounge is big enough to stretch out on after a hard night of grilling marshmallows.  I use the extra table for extra counter space or one outside for under the awning.

AC is a personel preference, but know that you will need electric hook-up to use.

The camper will come with a 30 amp adaptor so you can plug into household outlet, Depending on how much use, batteries will last 2-3 days if conservative, nothing 120v will work unless you have electic hook ups,(no power to outlets). It does come with a 3 stage converter which will recharge your battery when plugged into 120v power.

The 1980 comes with a 20 gal water tank which is a lot. You can refill @ home or another safe water source if your out and about. I use a portable 7 gal grey water for sink drain.

I find it is quicker to set up  the pop-up than setting up tent, air mattresses and everything that goes with tenting. A very simple procedure. Plenty of storage space in cabinets and on floor.
Mattresses are comfy and lots of room on the queen to stretch out.

The Rvq is convienent and is good for a few burgers or dogs, but don't expect to grill for 10 people on it or a 3 inch steak.

The furnace and fridge are great to have, Note that electric brakes are a option, BUT are very good to have and a cheap piece of mind.
My 1980 came with option Pkg A & B plus the brakes and awning. All of these I think are worth it.

Overall I am very happy with it, see my photos.
Anymore questions, just ask.

Chris
PS congrats to Jhower on the new Pup. Maybe I'ss see you at the PA grand Canyon this summer LOL

01 f-150
07 Rockwood  1980,
The official vehicle of the Camping Collies.
64 Mercury Comet

Happy To Be The Wondering Wanderer...
...as long as I end up with sand in my toes

Offline newbie46

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • CA [CA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
need rockwood 2280 owners manual....please
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
new owner of 08 used 2280. previous owner could not find the owners manual. i do have the appliance manuals. do you know where i can down load or get owners manual? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Offline jim1999

• Eagle Camper
    • IL [IL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: need rockwood 2280 owners manual....please
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
new owner of 08 used 2280. previous owner could not find the owners manual. i do have the appliance manuals. do you know where i can down load or get owners manual? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Try calling 574-534-3167 or check with any Rockwood, Forest River or Flagstaff dealer.
1982 Wilderness by Fleetwood Travel Trailer.
1998 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado Extended Cab
Former owner of a 1994 Jayco 1006 pup

Offline carolina campers

• Eagle Camper
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at Rockwood 1980
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:20:03 PM »
We have a 2002 Rockwood Freedom 1980.  Bought it exactly a year ago.  We have camped on the average once a month.  It is just my husband and I, and our three furbabies.

We like the camper, but will probably sell it in the near future to upgrade, as I would like less indoor seating and more countertop/cabinetry/storage.  Plus, we want an outside storage box.  You might enjoy the seating/extra bed space with children.  They will soon be bringing friends along.
We bought our camper specifically because of the heat and AC, as we camp year-round.  Wouldn't have one without...  Though I try to go without climate control, when it comes to comfort, if I'm not happy, nobody's happy!  LOL!!  Plus, I keep the furbabies' comfort in mind too.

We do not use the interior tables as they were too heavy for me to manipulate by myself.  I bought a small foldable table that we use inside to eat on inside if the weather is bad.  Sometimes we might play a game or cards on it.  That suits us just fine.  We spend more time outdoors anyway.
We also do not use the RVque.  We had an old Coleman campstove that takes up less space than the grill, so we just use it.
We only use the sink for rinsing a few things, filling the dogs' water bowl, and for brushing our teeth.  The campgrounds we visited have nice facilities.

As far as extras, I think with kids you would want an awning and an outdoor rug under it.  That will help keep the camper clean in inclimate weather.  The rug you can get anywhere. 
You may want to invest in a porta-potty, or be sure to book sites near the restroom facilities.  You know how kids can wait till the absolute last minute...  And don't forget to take a nightlight and a flashlight!
We don't have them but you might also want to pick up some Sterlite drawers.  They fit on the side counter nicely.  Lots of the bloggers here have them.

We store everything in the PUP, the only thing we need to pack for a trip is food and clothing.  Makes it easy.  When we return from a trip, I launder the bedding and towels while the PUP airs out, and by the time it is dry and folded, I pack it up and the PUP gets folded.
Chuck, Shelly, and our three campin' doxies
TVs: '11 Nissan Frontier
PUP:'02 Rockwood Freedom 1980; TT: '12Coachmen Apex 22QBS

Offline Xolthrax

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Camper
    • PA [PA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • The Home Page for Evil
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
I hate to point it out, but the OP is over 2 years old.  I'm pretty sure they figured it out by now.
Joe
[PU]'96 Rockwood Signature Series 1280 [TV]'07 Ford Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are.  Gilwell Troop 1 (Owl Patrol)

Offline carolina campers

• Eagle Camper
    • WV [WV]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »
OOPS!  Thanks Xolthrax!  I've been fighting migraines and have had VERY little sleep this week so I haven't quite been on top of things.  Sorry!
Chuck, Shelly, and our three campin' doxies
TVs: '11 Nissan Frontier
PUP:'02 Rockwood Freedom 1980; TT: '12Coachmen Apex 22QBS

Offline kreich

• Eagle Camper
    • KS [KS]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
We are on our 2nd Rockwood and love them to death.  Cn't go wrong with.  Make sure its the floor plan you want.  A/C is a must in Texas.  Heat is good to but you can get a small 120vac space heater that will work great.  Less gas also and youalready have paid forelectric at camp site.  If you boon dock this option will not work without generator.
Kevin Reich
Fishing's Future Salina Kansas Chapter

Offline mercman

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Camping Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
hate to point it out, but the OP is over 2 years old.

At least I got to read another one of my intelligent well thought replies again.  [:D]

Chris

Offline Rocky Popper

• Camper, 2nd Class
    • FL [FL]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just bought a 2005 Rockwood model 1980. I don't know how to use the furnace yet but the AC works great. Love the floor plan!  Tows good!  Has brakes but I think they need adjusting. The lift system works ok but is not as easy as I thought it would be. There is a little resistance and the cable makes a popping sound occasionally.
Tim, Kelly, Tyler & Caroline
2005 Rockwood Freedom model 1980 (Morning Rockwood)
2008 Chevy Tahoe (Tahoeing)

Offline mercman

• Wagonmaster
  • Eagle Camper
    • MA [MA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Our Camping Adventures
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Have you tried lubing the wiffle tree thats located underneath the camper? There is a grease zerk on each end. for the clunking,  found it to be a telescoping arm that was clunking, a little spray silicone took care of that. Just don't get it on the canvas.
Furnace is simple to operate, just like in your house, just turn up the thermostat.

-Chris

Offline aslag

• Camper, 1st Class
    • WA [WA]
    • US [USA]
    • View Profile
    • Trailer Mods
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just bought a 2005 Rockwood model 1980. I don't know how to use the furnace yet but the AC works great. Love the floor plan!  Tows good!  Has brakes but I think they need adjusting. The lift system works ok but is not as easy as I thought it would be. There is a little resistance and the cable makes a popping sound occasionally.

As mercman said lube the lift tubes, there is also a zerk on the top of the tube assembly (whiffle tree) just opposite the bottom zerk. Reference this page http://www.goshenstamping.com/content/lift_system.htm. I had a 03 Rockwood 1940 with a manual lift and it was noisy with popping, squeaking etc. It is the normal noise of the springs being forced through the bends in the tubes. Same noise with my 07 Flagstaff which has the same lift system but with power. Grease the zerks until you see grease coming out of the tube assembly, it does quiet it down some but it is still noisy.
2007 Flagstaff 228D
2001 Chev Silverado Z71

PopupGizmos Solar Bunk Liner kit (PSBL)