12 volt power

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Stubby, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Stubby

Stubby New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Hey everyone First time out this weekend and had a blast. One thing thou convertor fan ran for about 3 hours then stopped dome light started getting dim. Plugged into trailer plug on truck and lights got brighter. I was plugged into shore power all weekend. 2002 space star with a centurion 2000 inverter. Is there a circuit breaker somewhere? Thanks for any info.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    If you plugged in the truck and the lights got brighter, it sounds like you had the converter on battery power versus shore power. I'm not familiar with that particular converter, but on shore power, make sure the selector switch is set to 120V shore power and not battery.

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I don't think I have a selector switch on my convertor or near the battery.

4. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, so are you 100% SURE the power on the shore power pole was on? Many places turn off the circuit breaker before unplugging... or the shore power pole GFCI could have been tripped... It looks like the Centurion is self switching, so it may not have actually had shore power to switch over.

5. Stubby

Stubby New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I checked the hook up it was good all 120 outlets working.

6. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Get a voltmeter. Next time you are plugged in to shore power, test the voltage at the battery. It should be over 13 volts if you have no 12v powered items (lights, water pump, radio, etc) in the camper running. If not, then your converter is not charging your battery. Look for a fuse on the converter that is blown. I had this issue with our new pup a few month's back and found my 30 amp car type fuse on the converter was popped. Replaced it and it now charges the battery like a champ. Of course, your converter may be a bit different.

7. Stubby

Stubby New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I found the 30 amp fuse was blown by the battery. Replaced the fuse holder and fuse, still no go the battery is completely drained. Converter still does not run. Removed unit and checked all the connections look good. The front cover says centurion 3000 but behind the cover its labeled centurion 2000.

8. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    If you're sure you have good shore power, and you're sure the shore power is making it to the converter, and you're sure you have located and replaced all blown fuses, and you're sure all the connections are good... you're narrowing down the possibilities to the most expensive one... your converter is not functioning internally.

I've had my older converter apart a few times, it is very simple, but also all manual and not a charger. So, if you've eliminated all that is possible, all that is left, however improbable, is the truth. You may just have a bad converter... I don't think they make the Centurion converters any more, but I could be wrong.

Best of luck.

9. Stubby

Stubby New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Hey generok I was just at Alaska raceway park in july.. outstanding sights to see..

10. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Is your converter and inverter one unit? Just curious.

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    The centurion 2000 is a power center with a DC converter built in. No inverter. It is also no longer available. I replaced one in my Palomino a couple of years ago when the converter died. No lights after the battery was drained. I suspect yours has bit the dust as well. I replaced mine with a WFCO 8740. It was easy.

12. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Has anyone here actually tried to built one rather than buy pre-built?

I will be building some circuitry in my camper for a converter. Only requires two parts technically.

13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    What circuitry are you building in that is part of a converter? The converter takes 120v AC current and makes 12v DC for recharging the battery and for lights and other 12v applications.

In my opinion by the time you buy a breaker box and all the parts you need for a converter you'll have spent the same or more as buying a power center with both the AC and DC in one unit.

My son and I have been watching tear drop trailer builds this summer and have come to the conclusion that some of the builders are wasting space (and really doing an ugly job) by not using a power center/converter unit.

14. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    I want to be able to troubleshoot my electrical center, which to me is easier if I built it. And for parts replacement too.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I understand that. However unless your an electrical engineer or the like, you'll still have to buy a converter, not build one. My point is that the power center/ converter combos like the WFCO 8700 series gives you a breaker box (exactly like your house breaker box) and a converter that has easily obtainable parts. Throw in that it is all neatly in on spot in your pup and has a 3 stage battery charger and to me it's a slam dunk. But I totally respect and understand what you are saying about knowing your systems.

16. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    @DFire2: Do you have insurance on your PUP?
    They might not be too happy about home-brewed electrical installations.

17. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Michigan
    Not at the current time. I just installed all new electrical wiring, outlets, and breaker box. I haven't gotten around to building my 120v to 12v system yet.