12v at battery 2v at converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by E-Roy, Jun 18, 2019.

1. E-Roy

E-Roy New Member

Have issue with lights, water pump, working off AC but not DC. Troubleshooting led to replacing converter. Still no DC power. Battery tests good, wiring from battery tests good, but between the battery and converter voltage drops to 2v. Tested converter and it’s wiring and it seems to be proper. Any suggestions on figuring out where my issue is?
    2006 Fleetwood Cheyenne

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

What type of converter is it?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Bad ground?

4. E-Roy

E-Roy New Member

WFCO 8725.
    Visually inspected ground and it looked OK. My brother has more knowledge on using meter and how to check, I’m the one with more familiarity of pop up. How would I meter check ground?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

On the front panel of the 8725, are any of the blown fuse lights showing (or the reverse polarity fuse light)? Are you sure the battery is hooked up with the correct polarity? The negative cable should go to a chassis ground which should have a clean connection. I would also check all of the connections made between the 8725 and the individual 12 volt circuits.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If there is an inline fuse near the battery check the terminal connections for corrosion. If there is a resettable breaker check both sides to ground.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

That means red probe to one side of breaker with black probe on trailer frame metal (not paint) meter set to DC volts 0-20v range. Do the same on the 'other' breaker nut/screw/terminal, should be same as battery voltage.

you can do the same on the back of the converter, coleman uses a white connector, probe the red batt + and the white frame common -, you should also have full battery voltage on both sides of this connector. If you disconnect the white plug you may find the the red wire connects to black on the battery side of the connector.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019