12V outlet? How do I install one?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Dave Brick, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I'm not really savvy on wiring. I have replaced and tested GFI outlets in my house though, so I figure I should be able to do a serviceable job. I have a 2012 Coachmen Clipper 108 sport, and I'd like to hook up a 12 V outlet inside, mostly for charging cell phones, although I might also use it for a few other 12V devices. How should I do this?

Thank You.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I would suggest tapping into the 12v wire from the battery where it goes into the converter. Put an inline 10A fuse and just run a new circuit using 12awg wire. For the ground, again use 12 awg wire and either tap into an existing ground, or go directly to the frame.

3. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

4. ollodart

ollodart Member

Finding a good spot to tap in is the first thing to do. I put mine on the water pump line because it was easy to install there. I think I would choose a different spot, because the pump switch needs to be on, but it was like a 15 minute thing and works for me. You need to drill a hole, put in the 12v (which you can get a any auto store) and hook up two wires, positive and ground.

5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I tapped into the wires behind the cabinet that power the front stoop light.

6. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I added two cigarette lighter plugs in the sides of the galley so we could charge phones (back before all chargers went USB direct). I tapped into the power feed for the water pump because we have never filled our water tank and don't plan to use it.

You might also consider swapping out for a 110VAC outlet with USB capability, but then your 12VDC would only work on shore power.

7. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Thanks. I will look at tapping into the water pump, because I don't use it.

8. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

9. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Looks like the search engine is still having issues....here's a link to a previous forum post that has a lot of suggestions.

If you decide to go with direct USB outlets, make sure you check out the info from user MPKing....he has a post re: the current/future standards of USB's.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=109654.0

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I ordered a couple of these BLUE SEA panels from AMAZON... These will mount to a wall almost anywhere and use a small round hole for each of the three units... Can be mounted horizonal or vertical as the three round units rotate.

The one I have has a DC VOLTMETER module in it which is very bright so I added an ON-OFF switch for it... You can order one with a switch as well...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

If you wanting to install a socket for carrying higher DC current I would suggest one of these BLUE Matched socket and plug assembly. These will not get hot on you like some of the cheaper auto parts stores ones will do...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

[​IMG]
    google image

Roy Ken

11. ollodart

ollodart Member

I like that. I want to put a permanent volt meter into the camper because I'm forever going out to check the batteries with my handheld. Having that, I can just glance at it and know how much the batteries are discharged.