1970 Coleman Four-Eight....Let the restoration begin!

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by TimJean, Jul 25, 2018.

1. TimJean

TimJean New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Ok, so I drove about 40 miles each way to pick up my PUP. I found it advertised on a buy-sell-trade facebook page. I had to find my adapter for the light harness and also a 1 7/8" ball with a 1" shaft. I finely found the hitch ball at Rural King. The pick-up went well, tires held air and it pulled extremely smooth and easy. I quick trip to the title agency and now the title is in my name. Ready or not....she is all mine. The canvas was totally shot, including large holes and lots of rot. The floor, roof, and inside is in very good shape except for lots of mouse nests, and ants everywhere under the mattresses. I removed all the canvas and mattresses headed to the dumpster. Now, she is ready for a serious makeover!

Attached Files:

Tom Tucker, jnc and hq308 like this.
  2. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Hold off on throwing away the canvas. When I had my bunk end canvas replaced they used my old canvas as a template. You might want to do the same for the mattresses?

Looks like a good find though. I read your other thread when you bought it; great deal imo. Glad to hear the floor and roof are in good shape. Keep us updated on your progress.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    That should buff right out! Have fun with the reno!

4. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Other than the canvas it actually looks like its in pretty good shape, rarely do you see these pre 78 79 Coleman's not faded and beat up. Is the top just one giant piece of plastic/fiberglass?

5. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Looks pretty solid over all. Best of luck with the project!

6. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Hampshire UK
    Wow what a project,good luck with it, looking forward to the updates

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks like is can be repaired fairly easy, as you stated that the canvass is bad (as can be seen)
    you can also make the mods to "Make it your own" as you go with the restoration . Good Luck with the project and Happy Camping.

8. TimJean

TimJean New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Yes it is, and there were two small cracks in it that I patched. Seems good over all.

9. TimJean

TimJean New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Latest update restoration pics. I just finished the upholstery.

Attached Files:

hq308, emoney and 79venture like this.
  10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Great job and good start! Keep those updates coming and ask questions where you need help

11. Tom Tucker

Tom Tucker New Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Looks great so far. I've got a model 370 from I believe 1969. It looks like yours but smaller. My top is in worse shape than yours. All four corners cracked and a hole in the middle. How did you go about patching it and are you happy with the results?