1971 starcraft surge brakes

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Marisa, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Marisa

Marisa New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Hey all. So, I recently bought a 1971 Starcraft Starmaster 6 in PA. Drove it back up to NY. Registered. I took it in for inspection and the surge brakes are a problem. I knew this. PA has different brake rules from NYS (so says the guys I bought it from).

Either way, my local trailer place (super great place), says that they can’t get their hands on the hubs that I need. In other words, I might not be able to get new brakes on it. And in NYS, anything over 1000lbs. has to have brakes. I’m at 1300.

Apparently the dealer who made after market parts (and new parts) was bought out and the new dealer is phasing out the after market parts.

Any ideas? I’m new to this and truthfully, just feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea that my new-to-me trailer might never be able to pass inspection in NYS.

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. What's the problem with surge brakes? Research the rules in PA for yourself, never take hearsay as gospel. eTrailer is a good source for information and parts. How close to the border are you?

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    What is wrong with your hubs? Worse case is that you would have to replace the axle and go with electric brakes

Raycfe and WVhillbilly like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I was wondering the same thing, whats wrong with the hubs? I would doubt a "dealer" would make anything.