1976 cox conestoga hardtop

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by wpk@golfbase.com, Jun 29, 2018.

1. wpk@golfbase.com

wpk@golfbase.com New Member

Introduced myself a few days ago. My popup has been idle for like 25 years, inside and canvas perfect. Would like to get her back on the road. Of course will get new tires. My camper has surge brakes with piston mounted on tongue of trailer. My toughts are if possible replace the entire system. Hubs, drums, brake assembly, piston, and brake lines. If i know the dimentions of my spindles on the axle would that be all i need to get a full set of replacement parts. I think that would be the best approach because cox out of business for a long time and do not know the manufacturer of the original part. Looking for input as to whether this sounds like a good plan. Thanks Walt

2. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

If you are not going to convert to electric brakes I'm not sure why you would want to replace the whole system. Hydraulic brake parts are no different than your car brakes. I took my 1976 Apache to a brake shop and they were able to service them. Have a trusted mechanic look at it before you make any decisions or order any parts.

3. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Surge brakes are really only beneficial over electric in a few applications and camping trailers are not one of them. You will cuss them and kick yourself for not going electric if you put money into them. Your axle was not made by Cox but an outside manufacturer. Dexter is the most common but there is a lot of commonality throughout the brands.
    First of all what is your tow vehicle and how heavy is your camper? You may be able to get by fine without brakes.

You may be able to buy off the shelf parts to convert your axle to electric brakes but it will take some disassembly and measuring on your parts. You may want to buy a cheap digital caliper for 20 bucks or so to take measurements. You need to take it apart anyway to clean out all that antique grease and re grease it. Etrailer seems to be the most popular site these days but Outlaw Trailer used to have a great site and tons of tech info.

There is a cox yahoo group and facebook group id wager that posting on those sites will tell you what axle you have.

jnc likes this.
  4. wpk@golfbase.com

wpk@golfbase.com New Member

Thank you sawdusty and campstewart for your input. I do have a calipur and used to get new hubs for my boat trailer which i rebuilt last year. Towing with a 2001 dodge 1500 conversion van. Was wondering if you could give a quick tutorial on electric braking as to how it works. Thanks....walt
    Ps with check out cox sources

5. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

E trailer will have vids and writeups of how electric brakes work far better than I could give.