1980 Coachmen sunlite 160s, new owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mtn_man, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Mtn_man

Mtn_man New Member

First time tt owner here in northern Cali.

Got a 1980 Coachmen sunlite 160s for free-99 I'll be towing with my 2010 Subaru Forester. It needs some TLC but not a full restoration.
    Everything works, I'm considering removing the fridge in favor for space for an rtic cooler however.
    So far I've began repainting the frame and I've replaced the lift jack and wheel. Made some small fixes internally...
    I've ordered led lighting for it, some new chokes, and some new external lift handles to replace the broken ones. I've got paint ready for the interior cabinets and will work toward upholstery later.
    There is a broken zipper I will have to address. Excited to be part of seemingly a cool community here. Pictures later on...
    I can't seem to get the existing (original) LP tank disconnected in the front. Rather than thread on externally like my BBQ is appears to be reverse thread on the inside of the valve attached the regulator following that with a smaller threaded connection... If anyone pops by and understands what I mean without pictures please clue me in.

Cheers, mtn_man

2. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Hello from St Louis

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

4. Mtn_man

Mtn_man New Member

Any other newbies directions are welcome hello all!

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Sounds like you have an old-style propane tank. The easiest solution would be to get a new hose and regulator then exchange the tank for a full one at a convenience store. [:)C]

6. Mtn_man

Mtn_man New Member

Hello!
    Definitely old. I bought a new tank and it has the threads internally and externally (like my BBQ) so maybe it will work? It doesn't indicate it's reverse thread like the old tank. I haven't looked cloaclo to check yet though.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Your local purveyor of propane and propane fueled appliances can be a great help in situations like this.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. You are correct the old bottles had a left handed thread, you would do yourself a favor by changing the hose to the new style, it is faster and easier to hook up, no wrench is needed, just hand tight. The new hose complete with the new style end is not that expensive, but if you do change be sure and use the yellow Teflon tape (made for LP) on the threads going into the regulator not the white tape.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

Mtn_man likes this.
  11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

12. Mtn_man

Mtn_man New Member

Was able to get the propane connection off with a big crescent and some elbow grease. I think I may just stick with the old style, I don't mind the wrench.

Got my LED lighting all installed yesterday, had a tail-light out which is now fixed, and discovered I had a cracked marker light cover. I did manage to crunch one of the marker light covers pivoting the trailer around - whoops. Luckily E-trailer has me covered for mega-cheap since I'm a vendor for them. I also ordered Swagman Roamer bars which I was at it...

Thinking I'm going to have to start a build journal...

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Can you even get those old style tanks anymore? I would check that first before you deside to stick with them!

14. Mtn_man

Mtn_man New Member

I just bought a new tank from home depot... the new tank has the threading on the inside and outside of the valve, I'm guessing for both style connections. But I haven't tried actually connecting it yet. Might do that tonight, but my gut says its going to work.

15. Sjm9911

It should i remember those but never looked to check if they still made them. Lol

16. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Welcome from Georgia! Can't beat free, especially if the bones are good.

17. Mtn_man

Mtn_man New Member

Wish I had some decent weather to continue the revamp... hoping to hit the road for our first trip for my birthday in March... thinking Fort Bragg / Redwoods area... idk. We only have 3 days to play with... I need to replace the exterior handles as they are broken but one... having a hard time finding handles with bolt holes 9" apart... home depot was no help. E trailer is no help. Amazon has some but the 7.5" bolt hole spacing I tried was simply too short to make work... any ideas?

18. Sjm9911

I dont have handles on mine? Like a d handle? Take a peice of steel , put it in a vice and bend it? Drill holes where needed, paint and done. Or use eye bolts and role or chain or cable? Idk.

19. Logjammer

Logjammer New Member

20. Logjammer

Logjammer New Member

The old style propane hose with the male left hand connection fitting will screw into the inner left hand threads on all the newer propane tanks

Mtn_man likes this.