1985 Palomino Tent Trailer!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lew&Nicole, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Lew&Nicole

Lew&Nicole New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Hello,
    My husband and I are working on a 1985 Palomino Pony tent trailer. We are totally new to this and just plan on getting it done well enough to accommodate us and our three young boys. Currently it's stripped but we need to fix a few things. We will be looking for advice on this website for things ranging from the door flap that holds the door in place to sewing in new windows on the bunk ends.
    Thanks!
    Nicole

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Welcome from Texas, have fun on your project.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Welcome from NM. Our first popup was a 1984 Palomino Shetland - 6' box, one bunk end, tiny. We were the third owners, and eventually the canvas disintegrated, at which point it sat for a couple of years until we did a renovation on it. (If you look at the early pics I put on flickr, you'll see the renovation : https://www.flickr.com/photos/kitphantom/)

4. Lew&Nicole

Lew&Nicole New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Awesome! We are so new to this that we are going to need all the inspiration, ideas, and help we can get. We only need to replace the four windows (where the bunk ends are) and the canvas on the outside is in really good shape. We know someone that has a commercial machine. He has agreed to sew them. I will post pictures when I can. Did your shetland have a door that swung down? Ours is designed that way, but the plastic is broke. We're not sure how to get that fixed so the door is easier to get in. Thanks for sharing the photos! What kind of paint did you use on the exterior and did you have someone sew your new canvas? We also need to put in the "galley" kitchen. The other owners removed the sink and stove so now we need to build the box on top that swings down. A lot of work! But we're excited and so are our boys!

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ours had the door with a removable top section. We ordered new canvas from Canvas Replacements. (Our canvas was long gone, and they had the pattern; Bear Creek Canvas is the other main maker of new tenting, but they did not have the pattern.)
    We left the flip over top of our galley, installed a new stove, but removed the sink - it was so small that it was much less useful than the wash tubs and gray water pail we'd used for year. The counter and cupboard space freed up by not having the sink and water "tank" (5 gallon jug under the galley) more than made up for not having the sink.
    We used, IIRC, Rustoleum paints on the outside. The paint job on the sides worked well, the roof one not so much - it was good weather when I began to paint it (I'd cleaned and primed it previously). As I finished up the second coat, I looked up and could see black clouds approaching, and by an hour later it was pouring rain. It still looked OK first thing in the morning, by noon it was raising in sections and looked like white lace. I never bothered to fix it, it was sealed and protected from the weather.

6. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Welcome and good luck from Pennsylvania...

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl. Panhandle and congrats on the NTU PUP. I know the boys can hardly wait to start camping. One good thing about having repairs to do, you will know every part of the unit and as you go you can "Make it your own. Good luck with the project and Happy Camping

9. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Hello from western Colorado!

10. Lew&Nicole

Lew&Nicole New Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Hello! It's been awhile, but we're about to get this pop up on the road. We are having issues with the door however. The plastic that attached it to the wall is gone and so the door is not attached. When we go to put the door in, it does not easily slip in - we have to really lift up the roof and slam it in. We've purchased the BAL leveler and we think it's level. Is there something we're missing? How can we make the door fit in more easily? Thank you if you have any suggestions or ideas!
    Nicole

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg from the Connecticut shoreline.

12. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

13. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Did you check level in both directions?

14. TRACY GROMER

TRACY GROMER New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a 1982 Shetland and, although you may not see this post, I'm having the same issue with the door (will not fit -- it way too tall and I cannot raise the roof enough to get i in place). I'm wondering if you ever found a fix? I am planning on just cutting off the top of the metal sheet to make the door fit. Don't see any other option. Thanks!

15. Fluper

Fluper New Member

Hi Lew and Nichole, we actually have the same issue with our 87 palomino and the plastic piece is hanging on by a thread. Were you able to find a fix? I saw someone suggest a flexible cutting mat (or several of them glued together and trimmed to size) I'm just not sure how that would hold up in the cold.

16. TRACY GROMER

TRACY GROMER New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I was able to fix my door by fixing the structural problem that was the cause. But i think we have different doors. Mine was a two piece door and there was no plastic. Once I rebuilt the cooler box next to the door (someone had removed it), the trailer frame was able to hold its shape and the door went in. I posted a thread about it on this site. Whatever you do, don't remove the cooler box! Best of luck to you.

17. Fluper

Fluper New Member

Haha guess what the PO did... they removed the cooler box to put an ac unit right there. I check out your thread about fixing the structural support and hopefully that'll fix our issue as well.
    Our door is a 2 pc as well, the plastic piece I was referring to was the at the top of the door that keeps the top of the door (frame) attached to the camper.
    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

18. TRACY GROMER

TRACY GROMER New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Interesting. I wonder if my door was just missing the plastic part? I was never able to find a photo of what the door was supposed to look like at the top or how it was attached/stored, etc. It was clearly modified at some point to make it fit -- probably the same person that removed the cooler box. It's not a hard fix if you're handy -- but make sure you get the cargo strap to hold the frame together while rebuilding the box. :)

Fluper likes this.
  19. TRACY GROMER

TRACY GROMER New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    And here's the link to the post about fixing the door by rebuilding the cooler box. http://www.popupportal.com/threads/...land-to-fix-door-problem.119604/#post-1218327

Fluper likes this.
  20. Fluper

Fluper New Member

Thanks,
    I'll take some pictures of the door this weekend while we are winterizing it and post them so you can see what we have.
    My hubby is pretty handy so he may be able to handle it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018