1986 Coleman Columbia

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by John Watkins, Oct 11, 2018.

1. John Watkins

John Watkins New Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Looking at a 1986 Coleman Columbia. It is in great shape. But owners say it has a kink in the cable preventing it from lowering on one side. If I was to get this. What would I be looking at to replace cables. Thanks. I am new to this site. So any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

For me, the cables are the number one thing to worry about with my pup, with rotted wood and mice eating the canvas coming in a close second. The good news is that every thing bad that can happen can also be repaired. The question is, how much work are you capable and/or willing to do?

There are a few RV service centers around that are willing to do popup repairs. There is a reason for this. It is high labor and time consuming work. There are five cables that make up most lift systems (4 corners and one main) and each one could cost you $100 per cable. That price does NOT include labor. There are quite a few folks that don't just replace one cable because the new cable is not stretched like the older ones, leading to stress on the older cables, leading to their failure. So you may want to replace all of the cables, not just one.

Unless the owner has actually seen the "kink", there are other issues that could be causing the problem in lowering the roof. There are quite a few pulleys in the lift system a it could have a pulley problem. A cable can jump the pulley or a pulley can pull away from its securing point because of hidden rot.

I would highly suggest the you find out what the exact problem is. Unless you highly trust the seller (ie - close family member), don't take his word for it. Find out exactly where the issue is. He may not know what is causing the "kink" and it could be more than just a cable replacement fix.

If you are willing and able to do the work, and are willing to take the chance that this is the only major problem, then go for it.