1991 Skamper A/C Install Questions..

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by kb0nly, Jul 13, 2007.

1. kb0nly

kb0nly New Member

Back from the weekend, that was fun, and relaxing!

I didn't screw or bolt through the side of the roof, instead i bolted it to the aluminum rail. The Skamper has a curtain rail around the edge of the ceiling. It's about 2 inches wide and about a 1/2" deep, there is an L shaped part of the extrusion, i just drilled a hole in the aluminum extrusion and bolted it to that. It's basically a built in L bracket that is solidly fastened to the sides of the roof.

If that wasn't there i would have bolted through the side of the roof using some carriage bolts and rubber washers to seal it up, luckily i didn't have to do all that.

1991 Skamper 245C
    1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
    Dad
    Mom
    Three Kids!

2. mstbone67a

mstbone67a New Member

but what about in the middle of the roof?

3. turtle

turtle New Member

Set up today. Temp was in the low 90's. It took about 3 hours to cool the pup to 78. Pup was in direct sun and bunk ends covered with solar tarps. Does this sound normal for a 13500 a/c unit?

06 Fleetwood Graphite
    96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Ron, Diane and the Lab mix, Cody

4. kb0nly

kb0nly New Member

In the middle of the roof there is one screw on each of them, this isn't really structural, i actually put those screws in to help hold them up while i bolted the ends by myself. If you got someone holding it then no big deal.

The weight of the roof will keep the ceiling tight against the support, just install it before the AC unit, once you install the AC unit it will not sag any further. The factory ones i looked at were not fastened to the ceiling at all, just bolted to the roof sides.

1991 Skamper 245C
    1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
    Dad
    Mom
    Three Kids!

5. kb0nly

kb0nly New Member

The big question turtle is how high was the humidity? That's more of a factor than the actual temp, at least in my opinion, for the AC unit to overcome.

There is a lot of factors here, color is a big one. Another person i have come to know has a PUP similar to mine but his has Navy Blue canvas except for the white bunk end tops. His feels a lot hotter than my Teal colored one. Dark colors absorb the UV and make it hotter.

It also depends on how well sealed up everything is. And of course we are talking about canvas walls without any insulation here!

Overall i don't think your results are too bad. I think the benefit mine had was despite being in the sun it was only on the roof and one bunk end. I had it in the full sun a bit this past weekend and it did take a little longer to get cool, maybe an hour and a half, but it wasn't that hot outside, just enough i ran the air to cool it down so the youngest kids could take a nap.

1991 Skamper 245C
    1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
    Dad
    Mom
    Three Kids!

6. turtle

turtle New Member

Thanks kbonly. It was very humid when I set up. My camper is silver/grey. I finally put the solar covers on the bunk ends and a 12 volt fan at each bunk end and that seemed to help get it cooler quicker.
    Going camping this tues/wed and still supposed to be hot and humid so we'll see how it goes starting it before the pup gets too hot to begin with.

06 Fleetwood Graphite
    96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Ron, Diane and the Lab mix, Cody

7. kb0nly

kb0nly New Member

Put it on low cool in the morning and let it circulate, set the thermostat so she kicks in when it starts to warm up. Easier to keep it cool from the morning on than firing it up later in the day after its already hot in there.

Have a good outing! I can't wait till we get to go again later this month, spending an entire week up in Two Harbors MN.

1991 Skamper 245C
    1997 Pontiac Trans Sport
    Dad
    Mom
    Three Kids!