1991 Viking Deluxe 180--both back cables went out

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by PopUpLarge, Jul 10, 2018.

  1. PopUpLarge

    PopUpLarge New Member

    28
    0
    Jul 10, 2018
    I just brought home my first camper on Saturday, and both back cables (or something in the system) went out separately, the poles won't stay up.

    I don't know if the previous owner did a bunch of remodeling himself (there's definitely signs of re-wiring weirdness) but there appears to be no way to access the lift system at all.

    The folks at Forest River kindly sent me the L&W lift system diagram, but I need to get in there to fix it, and I can't figure out how. From the inside, there doesn't seem to be access. From the outside, after taking off the rear fiberglass housing, everything appears to be encased in particle board. Might be a home made job. There's a single hole where you can sort of access the winch itself, but that's it. No way to get to cables.

    Advice, photos, videos on how to get in there and then fix this? I'll take anything y'all throw me--I was going to take my family camping in it this weekend for my wife's birthday.
     
  2. PopUpLarge

    PopUpLarge New Member

    28
    0
    Jul 10, 2018
    Anybody? I don't want to blindly keep taking stuff apart in search of an access point if I can help it.
     
  3. PopUpLarge

    PopUpLarge New Member

    28
    0
    Jul 10, 2018
    I think I figured out how to get to the lift, although I'm doing some modding to make it easier if this ever happens again. I know no one's commented yet but I'm going to search the forums and post pictures here in hope folks can give me suggestions.
     
  4. PopUpLarge

    PopUpLarge New Member

    28
    0
    Jul 10, 2018
    Can anyone point me to a thread or post photos here of what an L&W lift system is supposed to look like in the back when the cables are properly strung?
     
  5. Daver314

    Daver314 New Member

    23
    1
    Jul 28, 2015
    I don't have any pictures right now. I have the same lift on my '93 viking. You should have a winch that pulls a single cable. That cable attaches to a steel plate (approximately 2"x2"), which attaches to 4 more cables (one for each corner of the lift). There are a few places this system can let you down. The cables can break, or one of the eye-bolts that connects each cable to the plate can let go (especially if they have been replaced by the non-welded variety). Each of the cables makes is way through a pulley system to each corner.

    At each corner is something like this:

    https://www.caravansplus.com.au/guides/camper-trailer-components-a-55.html

    The plate I mentioned looks like this:

    http://www.thepopupprincess.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Pop-Up-Camper-New-Cables.jpg
     
  6. PopUpLarge

    PopUpLarge New Member

    28
    0
    Jul 10, 2018
    Hey Dave, thanks a million.

    In my case what happened was that the rear passenger spring got thrown out of the track rod from over tightening. This meant that without counter tension the cables on the pulleys for that rod bent the end up and then ripped the thing free of the plywood subfloor.

    So with some creative Dremel action to open up space to work without pulling all the cabinets, my friends and I took the entire track out, bent it back into place, welded an extra support, then bolted it back down through a sheet of galvanized steel on the inside and a large piece of hardwood on the outside (under), then re-ran the cable and the spring. Fixed and working great.

    I did notice that I have one arm coming away from the wood on the inside of the roof, and suggestions on best way to fix?
     
  7. emoney

    emoney Well-Known Member

    864
    424
    Jul 7, 2018
    Is the wood rotten? If not how was it originally attached? Glue is always stronger than the wood it bonds, don’t forget.
     
  8. PopUpLarge

    PopUpLarge New Member

    28
    0
    Jul 10, 2018
    Not sure, looks like the wood rotted out in the rim of the roof.
     
  9. Daver314

    Daver314 New Member

    23
    1
    Jul 28, 2015
    In the 4 years I've owned our '93 viking, I've gotten to know the lift system quite well. It's fairly high maintenance, unfortunately. I replaced the mounting point for one of my posts last year. The wood was only rotten in a couple of inches on either side of the top of the post. In my case, I opted to used a piece of aluminum bar (1.5" x 1/8") to bridge the gap and to secure the post to. The nice thing about aluminum is that it's light weight and really easy to work with. Can use woodworking tools, for the most part.

    Another option would be to pull the roof apart and replace the wood, but that's a pretty heavy job. By far, my biggest gripes with this system are the overuse of pulleys and the use of OSB as structural material to hold those pulleys and the lift posts.
     

Share This Page