1993 starcaft pop up camper

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KrissyAW, Sep 7, 2018.

1. KrissyAW

KrissyAW New Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Okay so my husband and I are very new to owning any type of camper, so we have a 93 Starcraft pop up camper it's in great shape the previous people barely ever used it they had bought it from a friend that had never used it and he had had it since it was brand new. Since buying it the weather is getting a little colder we've tried to turn on the heater and can't seem to figure it out I've read through all of its post on this forum trying to figure it out and we follow the manual and tried some of the ideas on this forum and I still have had no luck on the propane lines are definitely working you can smell the propane it just isn't lighting. Also our power works as long as we plug it in but we went out and bought a new battery for the camper (deep cycle) and cannot get the power to work with the battery weve blown three fuses when plugging them in. The camper store told us to use 30 amp fuses and it's still blowing them! So I guess I'm just looking for some guidance on troubleshooting since I literally know only one person that has a pop-up camper and has no idea how to help us out, I can't afford to take it into the camper store to have it looked at they charge $120 an hour so any help would be much appreciated thank you for your time.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

I have limited knowledge on your issues and, unfortunately, I cannot help you too much. Others will chime in on the furnace as well as the electrical as the day progresses. You have come to the right place for your questions.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the eastern Connecticut shoreline.

5. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

6. Pnut

Pnut New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    NE Georgia
    I can't help with the heater but when you hook up the battery the black wire is positive and the white is negative. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help you with your heater. Welcome from Georgia.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome From N/W Fl Panhandle, congrats on the NTU PUP. If you can smell propane you probably have a leak somewhere, that can be very dangerous and need to be checked, there are ways to check I have found that a small jar of bubble soap (like the kids use to blow bubbles) is cheap, then a small brush, just brush it on and watch for the bubbles, when they show up you have found the problem. Also when turning the LP on, turn it really slow or the safety will kick in. It is usual to light the stove for a few minutes to get the air out of the lines and this may take a few minutes too. If you are blowing fuses, it is not a good idea to "overfuse" If there is a direct short to ground it can cause a fire.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

10. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma. When you say you've blown 3 fuses, do you mean 3 fuses to one circuit or 3 different circuits? Definitely don't over fuse. Do these fuses blow when on shore power?