1996 Palomino Mustang FG

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by rickthecabbie, Jun 27, 2018.

1. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    So, I saw this add on Craigslist.......
    I really should search and find out how many threads on here contain that phrase.
    I am easily distracted, anyway, I saw an add on Craigslist for a 1996 Palomino Mustang FG
    for $200, The add said that the Pup would not open, "but should be an easy fix." lol
    So I thought, "1996? heck, that isn't all that old." Yeah, Right.
    Long story short, I now own a 1996 Palomino Mustang FG. Boy, wasn't my wife surprised when she got back from her business trip to Vegas! Yes she was, good thing she likes me.
    The first issue I noticed was the broken pulley at the back underside of the trailer.
    "Well, no wonder it won't open!" So I replaced it and in the process, learned how to replace the push springs on a Goshen Lift System. Turns out that I would need that info later.
    So here is my first pic.
    [​IMG]

hayyward and jnc like this.
  2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

Looks like you got a great deal and now have a fun project to work on too!

Best of luck and keep us posted!

rickthecabbie likes this.
  3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    It looks like it's in good shape. How's the inside?

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Nice barn find.

5. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    The inside is surprisingly good excluding the moldy canvas/cushions. The roof was a total loss, and the back wall and rear 1-2 feet of both sides have dry rot, but the floor looks O.K. and appliances and hardware are all working. I decided to go with foam and fiberglass for the roof because I have a friend who used to build boats so I can pick his brain on that. New Canvas from RVWorkshop, (they had the pattern, so no shipping the old one to them first) should be here around the end of August, but with a good roof on it, we should be able to get out once or twice this year.

myride likes this.
  6. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Thank you.
    I just wish the barn had been a little drier. That said, if it had been in better shape,
    I would have ended up paying a lot more. It was a great deal, all things considered.

7. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Always had a soft spot for those old Palominos, welcome to the board!

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've never heard of RVWorkshop, I'll have to check it out.

9. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Thanks for the welcome guys.
    Once I got the new Pup home, I was really excited to figure it out. The first thing I learned was how the Goshen system works.
    Bottom line is that it needs the pulley at the back attached to the frame to lift the back, and the crank at the front lifts the front. With a broken screw on the pulley, I had to improvise. I hooked the pulley up to a chain, and attached the other end to my Jeep. now I was ready to crank It was really difficult, because the rear street side (port side for me) post was corroded.
    With the help of a rubber mallet, I used a method I will call "crank and whack." 1 crank of the winch, then go bang lightly on the bottom of the post where it meets the spring tube until it moves, I got it to open completely. I immediately put in the "roof keeper-uppers" to keep the roof from falling, and this was the result.

P.S. The roof was waterlogged, so that needs to be replaced.

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. I have no idea what I am doing. I have never owned nor worked on a camper before in my life. Do not do anything you see me do without first searching for a better, safer, or smarter way to accomplish your goals. Last but not least, it was already broken long before I got here.

jnc and neighbormike like this.
  10. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    Hopefully the roof isn't too bad that you can repair rather than replace.

I also have a Palomino albeit mounted on a flatbed trailer, that I am almost finished rebuilding. Including a brand new roof, rear wall and part of the floor. Definitely is a lot of work but not terribly difficult.

Best of luck. Lots of information here on roof rebuilds.

11. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Well, as I feared, the roof was totaled. I am not surprised since it weighed so much that it was difficult to lift.
    I started deconstruction of the roof carefully, so that I could get measurements for the new roof. I gave up on that idea when the end boards crumbled like a thing that crumbles easily. (I'm too tired to simile, sorry.) Good news I was able to salvage the aluminium, or aluminum, (or if you really want to screw with people Alumium, look it up. Don't ask me, ask Sir Humphry Davey.) siding or cladding, (let's not get started on that one.) The bad news, is that i won't be using it because I am going with a rectangular, wood framed, fiberglass covered replacement roof. Why? Because I do not want to be troubled with making a bunch of cuts, and I am not that good with a jigsaw. also, I am planning to use Styrofoam under it, and do not want to make a 7 foot long hot wire knife to form the contour. Instead, I will build the contour by layering fiberglass and epoxy in smaller sections toward the center of the roof, kind of like a squashed pyramid. By doing so, I should be able to get rain water to run off without adding too much weight. In the end, it will be a lot lighter than the roof I just removed.
    So here is what is left of the starboard side board,

[​IMG]

and here is the port side.

[​IMG]

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Your sideboards look to be in as good a shape as mine.

13. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Looking forward to seeing this finished process. Where’d you get the idea for the roof re-design?

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Looks good! I also have a fondness for the 90's Pals....

15. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    I am really just winging it here, I figured that a surf board was made out of a foam core, covered with epoxy and fiberglass, and they have no trouble going down the road on top of a car at 60 mph, so basically I am working on a modified surf board design.

emoney and jnc like this.
  16. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I thought the same thing about a surfboard, but didn't think of it being on the top of a car. My analogy was, it floated and withstood the waves and being tossed around with weight on it.

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Seeing as you are building a new roof I would suggest that you make it a little taller to accommodate a real mattress. Good Luck.

18. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Let's just say that my posts have not quite caught up with what I have actually done yet. Suffice it to say that on this build, a single 20 foot 1x12 Cypress board is enough to replace the front, rear and the side boards with a tiny bit of scrap left over. Cypress was much lighter than the Sponge board the manufacturers used, and once it is glassed over, it will be way stronger too. As for the mattresses, yeah, I can honestly say that with 20 screws, 2 rods, and plate holding my spinal column together, comfort is a priority.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I hear ya load and clear!! Both the DW and I have assorted Back, Neck, Knee Damage. Comfort is King! We need a forum for "Camping in Pain"

MichiganCur and rickthecabbie like this.
  20. Paula M Genardo

Paula M Genardo New Member

Jul 14, 2018