1996 Palomino Mustang FG

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by rickthecabbie, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Paula M Genardo

Paula M Genardo New Member

I see you're replacing your roof? I have some repair i need to do to mine. Not the actual roof but where the canvas meets the roof over the pop out. The wood is rotted and gave way on my last trip. Where do you find indoor for that? I have an 80 starcraft

2. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

If I understand what you are asking, you will need to remove the canvas from the top to access the wood from the inside.
    Be aware that if the roof end wood is rotted, there is a good chance that there is more rot you have not seen yet.
    Here is a good thread about a Starcraft rebuild.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/my-96-starcraft-stardust-1021-roof-rebuild-lots-of-pics.87979/

3. Paula M Genardo

Paula M Genardo New Member

Thank you so much. I did consider finding more rot. I'm stupidly optimistic sometimes

momofEAP likes this.
  4. rickthecabbie

rickthecabbie Member

Hey guys,
    I got a little distracted here recently, and I do not want to do the flash forward to where I am right now with the rebuild, because I hate it when I am using some thread to do a project, and suddenly they skip all kinds of steps, so...
    Yeah, there is a god chance that I will be doing that here. However, I will try to share as much of the step by step as I can with this build.
    The frame for the roof is made from 2 1x10 inch 20 foot long cypress board. I chose cypress because it has few knots, is lightweight, and most important it was available in a 20 foot length. Since my roof is 12ft 10 3/4inches long, I needed a couple of 1x10s that were over 12 ft, which is not easy to find at Home Despot, or Lowes. I had to go to an actual lumber yard. Fortunately for me, there is a great one close by in Forest Grove, Or. They had what I needed, and cut it down to fit in my Jeep. 2 20 ft boards each cut to 7ft 1/2 inch left me with 2 boards at 12 ft 11 1/2 inch which I cut down to 12ft 10 3/4inches. Call it dumb luck, because there was nearly no waste. For the glue, I used 3M 5200 because I HATE LEAKS!
    Here is a mistake I made: I glued and screwed the bottom rails on and glued and screwed the frame together, and I forgot to put one of the bottom seals back in before I did it! As we say in production work, "I'll fix it in post."
    I also made some cut outs with a plunge cutter, and ran 6 1x3 Poplar boards side to side with 2 inches above them for my rigid foam insulation. These should help to hold it all together, and again, poplar is fairly light and strong. So here you go guys.

[​IMG]

landon6062, hq308 and jnc like this.
  5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I like your disclaimer. I had never even been in a pup until I went to see mine. At first it seemed small, but when I got in it and sat down, it looked kinda roomy. When I was looking at travel trailers, I wanted a "big" one, because I get claustrophobic, but the "big" ones gave me an anxiety attack, but I wasn't going to be pulling it a friend of mine was, but he died. It was an adjustment at first because having a camper felt awkward, but as time went by, it was like a second home and my dog thought it was a doghouse.
    The thing I realized was, it wasn't the size of the space that made me feel closed in, but the walls. When I built my house a friend of mine did the plans and when I looked at 'em, I had an anxiety attack -- the windows were too small. I love the 'sun porch' feel of the camper. Now when I look at trailers, I think they're just way too big -- I want something smaller. I like the small ones with slides that don't have the entertainment center between the bedroom and living area.

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Great price, big job.. wow..

You sure you don't want to go back to that "rainbow farting PUP"?... A paint job would have been simpler.. lol

Kidding of course.. : )

Good luck with it, looking forward to seeing what you do with it...

7. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Love your sense of humor rickthecabbie! You're doing a great job, I don't believe your disclaimer. Continued good luck, welcome to the forum and PUP camping. You'll have much satisfaction and enjoyment when it's finished.