1997 Coleman Westlake Body Panel and Roof Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Austin JC, May 22, 2019.

1. Austin JC

Austin JC New Member

My family has owned this camper for many years. I recently tried fixing the cracking ABS roof with the MEK and ABS method, but the cracks continue to appear after a few weeks of being filled in. I believe the next step would be to rip off the ABS layer and use grizzly grip or truck bed liner paint. Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

Another inquiry I had was about fixing the front body panel. My father had hit part of the camper with the lawn mower a week ago, leaving a large dent in the metal side panel, and a hole/crack in the front piece. For this, I am thinking about buying a fiberglass repair kit and patching the hole. I was hoping for advice on this as well. I attached an image of it. POPUP CAMPER #2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Geeze! Thanks a lot, Dad. Colemanpopupparts.com had a few whole body parts that may work. if you don't want to shell out the money...a hammer and MEK repair will be your best shot.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I would straighten the side and replace the front with diamond plate.

4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

That's the problem with using MEK/ABS goo, it's a weak bond. I would(and did) use a ABS rated epoxy like Plastic Welder or Fusion. The bonding strength IIRC is something like 3000-4000 PSI. I wouldn't remove the ABS if it is only slightly delaminated. if it has a lot of delamination, then that seems to be what people are doing. I would also check of the other ABS repair topics, other new coating products(don't remember names) have been found that may be better than GG.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Second the motion for if it has lots of delamination to remove it. My abs fix held, unfortunately the areas around it broke. I liked the gg. I will probably get it again.