1997 Viking 2060ST rebuild (floor, front compartment)

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Dubbya, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Finished the rear bench modifications and managed to recover 2.4 cubic feet of space. Enough to stow a few pairs of shoes and boots.
    [​IMG]

The electrical/water tank cabinet and 110v/12v wiring is complete as well. The fresh water tank is in as is the water pump.
    [​IMG]

The galley base is in and the water lines and city water inlet have been run as well. I also tossed in the drawers for the galley and the side storage cabinet directly across from it.
    [​IMG]

I've mounted the side access hatches for the front storage compartment, the city water inlet and the 30 amp electrical hatch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    We're on the "home stretch" now!

I mounted the shelving verticals for my outdoor table to the sidewall beside the outdoor stove.

I think that with the backing plywood and extra vertical posts I put in the wall, it should be sturdy enough to support an 18" shelf (table) and give the DW tons of space to put things while dinner is on the stove.

All of the hatches, the spare tire carrier and the door are back in as well.

I sealed them with putty tape, trimmed off the excess then ran a small bead of clear silicone around the edges before wiping off the excess with a rag. Going forward I shouldn't have those nasty filthy edges framing everything that's been surface mounted.

I've also got the bunk rail supports in place, and finished reinstalling the fridge, furnace and the LP gas piping. I'll wait until after the roof is back on before I put the galley back in and hook up the plumbing.

[​IMG]

I reinstalled the top of the side storage cabinet and the rearward portion of the galley base top (with the galley switch) as well.

After cleaning them, I flipped the original vinyl seals atop the front and rear walls (they seal the underside of the bunks from wind and bugs allowing the bunks to slide out over them) before stapling them in place. I then ran a 1/2" bead of glazing tape along the outside edges to seal the outside edges from moisture which could creep in under the aluminum wall trim.

Once I'd put the trim in place and screwed it all down, I ran a bead of clear silicone along the bottom edges of the trim to seal the exterior sidewalls then wiped off the excess with a rag. You can't see it but it's there!

One word of advice when installing the cable hatch for the winch crank: Don't install it so that the lid flips up and down, rotate the hatch so that the door opens sideways. This way the crank handle doesn't keep hitting it and catching it when you're cranking on the winch.

At this point, I've still got to put the wheels back on, crimp the lift cables to the eye hooks, put the roof back on, adjust the height, reinstall the appliance vents, reinstall the tenting and the front storage hatch.

I'm hoping to get the cable ends crimped and put the roof back on tonight. If it doesn't get too late, maybe I can get the vents and wheels back on as well.

That reminds me, I need some screen for the vents...

3. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Wow, looking good.

So what are you going to charging to start doing frame up's for the rest of the world that does not have the time or skill to do it our selves...

(Just kidding...but it could actually be a good business idea.)

FL Bill

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    LoL! I keep saying I've enjoyed the whole process. I wouldn't swear an oath to it but I would much prefer never to do it again! [;)]

5. zjrog

zjrog Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Tooele, UT
    Now this is an awesome build and I missed it till today! I like the reinforcements in the frame. As I stated in another thread, I'm planning to add a subframe from tongue to bumper to lift my trailer and to add some weight carrying capacity. I don't need to do a frame off resto, but if I ever do, I will build a completely new frame.

6. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks,

Yeah, I didn't see any reason to completely rebuild the frame, just to add a little strength to the floor under the high traffic areas. Works the treat now! No more squeaking or bowing when you walk around.

7. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I got the wheels back on, swaged the eye bolt loops and connected the cables to the harness square last night.

Tried it out but found the thrush (needle) bearing needed a little grease to keep the main 3/16" cable end from binding under tension. The cable couldn't rotate freely inside the harness square, so it'd put a twist in the 4 3/32" lift cables and would pop every now and again once it had enough resistance.

In addition, I found that I'd left the cables 4" too long and the harness square was hitting the winch spool (drum) before the roof had reached it's maximum height. I shortened each cable one at a time, swaged the new loops, connected them then adjusted the lift post heights. Perfect! They're all spot on and within 1/16" of each other.

IT'S ALIVE! AHHHH-LIIVE!! [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cabinets and counter tops are all in, the LP gas tank bracket is back on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to install the vents. I'll pick up some screen and more putty tape today. That'll keep the bugs out. I'd found evidence of a wasp's nest having been removed, so adding screen to prevent a re-occurrence is cheap insurance.

I'll put the jack back on, straighten and install the bed slide rails, install the front compartment lid and start putting the canvas back on this evening.

After that, I'll toss in the galley and hook up all the plumbing.

I''ve still got a few finishing touches, odds and ends to do but we should be good to go for a quick test run tomorrow afternoon! [CP] [:D] [LOL] [LOL] [:D]

8. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    Lookin good!

I found hot glue worked great for attaching screens to the vent openings.

9. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks for reminding me! I remember reading that around here somewhere! I'll fire up the glue gun!

10. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Well, we got it all together enough to head out on Saturday evening for a overnight at a local Provincial CG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a nice short drive just in case we encountered a major mishap.

We did have a small leak in the drain fitting on the water tank where the tank orifice had split but I'd only tossed a gallon of water in it for testing purposes anyway. Other than that, once I'd finally hooked up the Propane tank, we found a pretty significant LPG leak in the furnace coupling.

We hadn't planned using the furnace or appliances anyway, so I just shut it off and we toughed it out. It would have been nice to have the furnace running though as it got pretty chilly overnight.

I removed the water tank and fixed the leak with a generous application of Pluming Goop last night so I'll reinstall the tank this evening.

I also found that the fridge wouldn't light on LPG. It was barely operable on LPG and in dire need of some maintenance last year and I should done it before I reinstalled the silly thing last week, but the DW and DD have been so patient and we just wanted to hit the road. I'll find the link to the fridge maintenance thread here and get that taken care of this week.

I spent an hour patching a few rips and tears in the tent canvas with Camco awning repair tape. After adjusting the positions of the tenting and lowering the ceiling track to accommodate the short fabric panel at the left of the door, the whole roof was dead level and the door fit perfectly.

Prior to installing the storage compartment lid, I cut a 48"x1/2" piece of 5/8" plywood and inserted it into the top cavity of the lid frame where the hinges are riveted on. I then used PL Premium Adhesive to fill the whole of the small cavity (originally filled with plumber's putty at the factory) and to hold the plywood strip in place.

The PL Premium dries quite rigid and won't shrink or crack, I thought it would add a significant amount of strength to the frame once it was screwed down. After applying a 1" bead of buytyl tape (freeze it first to make it easier to work with and to prevent it from creating a mess when you remove the paper backing.) I fastened the lid frame in place (re)using 1-1/2" #8 screws.

I also cut the swivel mounting bracket off of the fold away jack that the PO had mounted to the hitch. I then mounted the modified jack to fit inside the jack clamp in the center of the hitch. Now it's not in the way and I won't ever stand a chance of hitting it (again) when I make a sharp turn.

Once the gas leaks have been fixed, there are just a few more things left to finish:
    • Build the cover for the lift system floor tracks at the foot of the front bulkhead.
    • Build the cover for the lift cables that run along the wall between the dinette and the rear bench.
    • Apply dabs of latex caulking to conceal the visible staples holding on the wall paneling.
    • Seal the front storage compartment lid frame with white silicone.
    • Pick up the vinyl side access hatch trim.
    • Adjust the foam weatherstripping on the storage compartment lid so that it more effectively seals the lid and base to the camper's front compartment deck.
    • Pick up a battery strap

I'm sure I'll discover a few more things to add to the list but that's it for now.

11. FL_Bill

Nice job man! Glad you are finally camping instead of working!!

FL Bill

12. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    dude, i have followed this as you've done it all the way through. you have done a tremendous job on this! no doubt it's stronger and will last longer than when it was new out of the factory. amazing job, and it will help you to enjoy it all the more knowing you completely redid it yourself!

13. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    That was a very impressive rebuild! Must be nice knowing you have a solid pup now and probably better built than any new ones!

14. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks all! Yep, didn't worry too much about what would work and what wouldn't, just wanted to get out there with the DW and DD and start having some fun with it.

Snoozing in my lawn chair at the beach yesterday, I remember thinking it was totally worth it. The DW and DD agreed. It sure was rewarding to see them having such a great time at the beach and while making s'mores around the campfire. Exactly as I'd pictured it.

BTW, picked up the 1/2" screw trim for the side hatches, 4' of 1/2" braided water line, another pair of wheel chocks and a new stab jack. Paid way too much but I'm not going to worry about it at this point. I've already invested more in this project than I'll ever recoup monetarily. It doesn't matter much, the family loves it and that alone made it worth every penny.

Oh yeah, just remembered I still have to cut and finish the outdoor table (shelf) for beside the stove. The DW is hoping to use it this long weekend.

15. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Finished the hatch screw trim last night, then found and repaired the LPG leak. I'd inadvertently jarred the quick connect hose and neglected to ensure that the flared fitting was straight before I tightened it up.

It's been two days since I repaired, reinstalled and filled the fresh water tank. It appears the Plumbing Goop is holding up well. That stuff is pure awesomeness in a tube.

Tried lighting the fridge on LPG and the igniter is working but the pilot won't stay lit. All I see is a puff of flame when I press the igniter button but the gas appears to shut off immediately as soon as I let go of the thermostat button.

I'll have to take out the fridge and clean the burner assembly and thermocouple. Seems easy enough to do with Digger's Dometic fridge repair tutorial.

Also found the Dometic refrigerator service manual popupSteve posted in the miscellaneous manuals section.
    [smg id=3190 type=av]

16. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks, Digger!

I got the burner on the fridge all cleaned up and she's purring away with a sweet little blue flame. Lights with a pop at the first crack of the piezo igniter too. Love it! Now we're all set for whatever campsite is available.

I used a scrap piece of G1S 3/4" maple plywood for the outdoor table. I cut it to 30"x18 1/2", rounded off the corner nearest the door, sanded it down, primed it with Krylon exterior latex primer and let it dry overnight. Sanded it smooth this morning and plan to attach the shelf supports and paint it this evening. When completed, we'll have approximately 3.75 square feet of counter space right where we need it.

Given that it'll only be outside and that it'll usually be under the awning, I'm hoping the paint holds up for at least a year or two.

I'll take some pics and post those up tomorrow.

• Build the cover for the lift system floor tracks at the foot of the front bulkhead.
    • Build the cover for the lift cables that run along the wall between the dinette and the rear bench.
    • Apply dabs of latex caulking to conceal the visible staples holding on the wall paneling.
    • Seal the front storage compartment lid frame with white silicone.
    • Pick up the vinyl side access hatch trim.
    • Adjust the foam weatherstripping on the storage compartment lid so that it more effectively seals the lid and base to the camper's front compartment deck.
    • Pick up a battery strap.
    • Find where I stashed the curtains and hang them back up.

Forgot to post this one of the pup on her maiden voyage this past weekend. Here she is, all set up and ready to rock. You can see the tops of the shelf mounts (verticals) poking up behind the back of the lawn chair in the middle of he screen. When attached, the top of the shelf (table) will sit level with the top of the stove base and flush to its' front.

[​IMG]

17. FL_Bill

18. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Same here, Carefree of Colorado as well.

There are short little slots in the end of either brace that connect to a post at the end of the awning. Not sure if it was installed correctly or not but that's how it was the first time we opened it up.

The vertical supports slide into clips which are screwed to the sidewall of the pup directly under the aluminum side rails. They do have peg holes in the "feet", so you can attach them to the camper or stake them into the ground. I'd assume you'd stake them to the ground if an add-a-room was set up.

19. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    after going back through this tread again, and looking at your pictures as you were finishing up, that pup is exactly the same floor plan, walls, roof storage compartment....everything, exactly the same as the 96 coachmen clipper 1070st we had last year. i wanted to do this to it too, but with my physical inabilities to do anything i just couldn't.

great job dubbya, not just on the camper, but on the thread as well. this thread will be a lot of help to people in the future. if we could give reputation ratings here, you'd definitely get a bunch of plus ones for sure

20. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks much!

Well, I hate having to learn things the hard way and I found it quite difficult to find much information on the 2060ST.

I couldn't have done it without the scads of information so readily available here at the portal and I truly appreciate the help I've received from the folks who've been kind and generous enough to share their times, experiences and solutions.

There's no sense sitting on information that might help someone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. I welcome the opportunity to "pay it forward" and glad to be a member of such a great resource.

Heck, I'm even considering one of those sweet and fancy DIY camp flag setups that HoundDog1178 created.. LOVE THIS!
    [​IMG]