1998 Coleman Casa Grande VERY difficult to crank

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by buzhazzard, Nov 19, 2018.

1. buzhazzard

buzhazzard New Member

Hey everyone,

The last time I used the pop-up, I was unable to raise it in order to clean when we got home. It has lived in the garage for over a year while other projects took priority. I had already checked and had no jumped pulleys in everything I could see (not the lift arms) and the whiffle tree was not twisted. This past Saturday, I finally got back around to getting the pop up back to camp worthy and when I pulled it out of the garage, it went up without a hitch. I knew it was too good to be true so I got the games and other items out, checked the lift arms for cables off the track and lowered the roof. Once lowered, I tried to raise it again and it went about six inches before getting locked up again. I drilled out the rivets from the back panel and can see that the top portion looks fine on the waist height crank. I checked for a jumped cable off the pulley again and saw nothing. I did notice that the front of the camper raised just a little higher than the rear:
    Measurement are:
    LF 4 1/4 RF 4
    LR 4 1/4 RR 4 7/8

I moved the rear pulleys to the middle adjustment to see if the pop up would go up but to not avail. Measurement were:
    LF 2 7/8 RF 2 5/8
    LR 3 1/4 RR 2 7/8

Since this did not help, I went ahead and put everything back to the way it was. It appears the cables had been replaced in the past because of one of the adjustment screws being completely sucked in to the last thread. (see video)

My last thought is that it has to be the thrust nut bearing binding and putting so much pressure on the chain and crank assembly. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/uiQfQHfmfOo

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to include everything I could.

Thanks,
    Chris

tzmartin likes this.
  2. buzhazzard

buzhazzard New Member

@smit1088 Sorry for being so bold as to tag you in this post but I saw a reply of yours on a similar topic after you were tagged there. I was also very thankful to see you as still active!

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I don't have one, but crank until it stops, remove bottom, check cable tensions. If one is higher tension that the others, check that corner. If all tensions are good, it could be the screw assembly. Hold the cable adjustment assembly, while someone turns the crank slowly. If it trys to twist out of your hands, the screw/nut is binding, lube or no lube.

4. buzhazzard

buzhazzard New Member

Thanks. I will give that a try this weekend.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Just saw your post. I have the same model. The fact that you got it up recently makes me think that the post pulleys are okay. I wonder if the crank assembly might be tightening down hard on the mechanism between the cog and the crank tube. I'm not an expert on it but there are some adjustments you could make to the tube assembly to keep it from tightening down while cranking. Check out coleman guy videos on youtube to see how to disassemble and rebuild that mechanism. Clean it up really good and see what you get. Good luck! I love my Casa Grande! Remember the solid pin in the assembly is tapered. You can only back it out.

6. tzmartin

Also, you probably know this, but the wiffle tree plate must be installed in order to crank up...

7. buzhazzard

buzhazzard New Member

@tzmartin , I finally got done with some other projects that took priority and had a friend come over for a second set of eyes. There is definitely binding/grinding at the metal plate that covers the entire waist high assembly. I was not able to disassemble anything due to time constraints but plan on pulling it all apart to check on my next project day. Of course, the first time to crank, the roof went all the way up. We lowered it back down, tried again and it only went up about a foot. That is when we noticed a binding sound right at the waist high assembly. I will take everything apart and inspect before purchasing a complete upper assembly. More to come...

8. tzmartin

take some pictures and we'll all enjoy your fun!