1998 Dutchmen Restore/Build

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Pelagius117, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    Hey Gang,

I have been lurking for a while and reading everything I can about various pop ups. I finally acquired a 1998 Dutchmen Duck 1004 on Super bowl Sunday. Finally, was able to get it opened up and take a full assessment of everything, (what works, what doesn't) Not too bad for the price I paid for it, if I do say so myself. My ultimate goal is to either get an over landing off road trailer or make one myself. I figured getting a pop up as a first step will let me learn as I go and hopefully won’t make too many huge mistakes as I go. This also will help with camping with a baby, and a mother in law that is not huge on "roughing it". So, having something like this will help my father in law and I be able to plan more camping trips the rest of the family will want to go. So anyway, on to the rest of the trailer.

As for the overall condition everything is pretty structurally sound. She will need some TLC and a DEEP cleaning but anything that needs fixing shouldn't be too bad.

On the outside I will need to replace tires, as they are old. I also found the roof seals have been left to deteriorate so I have some wood rot on both sides of the roof. I have a plan to replace those parts with all new wood, recover the roof with a white spray on bed liner and replace all new seams and seals as needed. The sides are not too bad, all the seals are pretty much in the same shape, and all the plastic covers for everything is pretty well sun rotted. So, the plan is to remove all those parts, and clean everything up and coat with bed liner and replace all the plastic parts and seals to make it like new. i also plan to remove the existing stabilizers and replace with a set that is more reliable and adjustable. Eventually I want to do the axle under spring modification to get a little more clearance, but we will see how things go.

The inside has lots of potential. Everything is intact albeit a little musty and smelly (last PO smoked). Water system works for the most part, faucet has a crack so doesn't pump very well. Electrical system works, both 120V as well as the 12V. Stove works in both the indoor and outdoor locations. After a thermostat replacement the heater works quite well. And the fridge works on the 120V source at least. The wife has a plan to replace the curtains, wants to have all the cushions redone, as well as the mattresses. New laminate flooring, as well as a painting to round it all off. I would like to eventually rebuild all the cabinet parts with sturdier wood. The canvas is in great shape, no major holes, rips or leaks, windows clear and supple. Just a few small holes in one screen. plan on getting a set of the popupgizmos for the bunk ends to help with the desert heat.

The awning looks to be in great shape, although the carrier bag has seen better days. It is missing one of the leg poles, but I have a plan to replace both with a detachable set that I can rope down to secure it.

Look forward to any input and sharing of ideas, Let me know what you think!

Jason IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG IMG_0121.JPG IMG_0123.JPG

2. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0127.JPG And more Pics.....

jnc likes this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Welcome to the show. Good Luck & Happy Camping

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Looks good. Was it hard to set up the awning? I have an awning on mine, but I've never taken it out of the bag.

5. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    Mamie,
    not hard at all.....of course I forgot to set things up before I fully extended the roof so it required a step ladder to fully set up. just the poles that attach back to the pop up (the sides) and the poles that extend to the ground. My awning was missing one of the corner to ground poles, but I have a plan to fix that with a new telescoping set.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    So you can adjust the height of the awning legs? If I ever see what mine looks like, I was thinking about getting those Ball End Bases for Pop Up Camper Awnings that attach to the side of the camper where the poles fit in. If not, I'm sure I'd knock the whole thing down.
    Ball End Bases for Trimline Pop Up Camper Awnings.jpg

7. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    Mamie,
    to a small extent yes. And mine already has those bases on the camper. Mine are located under the carry bag of the awning. Those attachment points are where the sides connect into.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Mine doesn't have those, but at least it's an easy fix.
    Your camper looks like mine on the outside. I have the same green vinyl. Replacing the canvas is a project for another year. I had no camping anything, so I've had to get what I had to have.

9. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    Next time I get it set up I will take some more in depth pictures for you

momofEAP and Mamie like this.
  10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Thanks

11. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Newton, KS
    I don't have as new of a camper but I would be interested in seeing those pics!

12. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Looks in great shape! I personally haven't even tried to look at my awning yet (JayCo). I was given a 10x10 canopy with mine, so doubtful I ever will, hehe.

If you ever look into flooring, cabinets, and the such, there are plenty of resources here (including mine below ;) )

Have fun, keep us posted!

13. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    Dfire,
    You bet I have scoured a lot of what the forum has to offer! I think we have gotten as far as what type of flooring we will use. Still have to pick out a design tho.

14. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    If you plan on replacing your cabinets, you can always do your own layout and completely customize it ;), I did, hehe.

Mamie likes this.
  15. jnc

I just wanted you to know I will be using your floor when I do mine over. I love the idea of moving the table across from the door and using the unused couch as a seat at the table. This will fee up Kitchen space while adding counter top space.

16. DFire2

DFire2 Active Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Not to mention, it also keeps the high traffic area out of the kitchen ;)

17. jnc

Yes it will seeing how we sleep on the bunk with the sofa.

18. Marin

Marin New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Welcome and congrats, nice to see another AZ member. It is in great shape, as you upgrade determine if you are going to use it north or at the lakes in the valley, that would change what you upgrade. If you need any help or to bounce an idea I am in Peoria so let me know.

Pelagius117 likes this.
  19. Pelagius117

Pelagius117 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Glendale, Arizona
    Marin,
    I am in Glendale so not too far away! First project I will be tackling next weekend is the reconstruction of the roof to fix the water damage. Should be interesting.

20. Marin

Marin New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Let me know if you need anything.

Pelagius117 likes this.