1st pup in Virginia.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bob414, Jan 31, 2019.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    Welcome from Richmond Va!!!!!!!! We camped at James River and had an astronomy club there looking at Saturn.

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    You are definitely good to go with that equipment. Except for the A/C. My Viking came with a A/C unit factory mounted on the roof. It works well when plugged in to Shore power. I recently decided to purchase an RV generator so I could run the A/C in the Boondocks. I was looking at a Honda 2200-watt generator from the local Honda shop. Almost bought it. But I decided to check with the factory that made my A/C unit first. It was made by Dometic. Their tech support told me that I would need at least a 3500-watt generator because the startup amps are around 60 and the running amps are about 10 Amps. I find that really hard to believe, but that is what they said. Does anyone else reading this post have any experience with boondocking A/C units and generators?

I also have installed a 100 Watt Solar panel to my camper. That works very well. It's on a 25 foot extension line so that I can move it around to catch the sun. I didn't want to drill holes in the roof on the camper.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I've been hearing that for a long time. A 2200 watt genny may be able to run it for a while but eventually it will damage the genny.

4. CW Gator

CW Gator New Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Florida
    Just bought a 2002 Coachman popup and the previous owner said his Yamaha 2000 would not run the AC. He told me he pig-tailed two 2000's together so he could run the AC. He said a 3500 would work - the 2000 just didn't have enough juice for the initial start of the AC.

5. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    CW Gator, hello and welcome to the Portal from Minnesota!

There's nothing wrong with connecting two 2000's to run the AC as long as they are matching gennies.

6. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    That is what I have been hearing. I do have a 3500 Watt work generator that I could easily put in the back of my truck and take it out with me. It's a bit big and noisy, but I can make do with it if I am out in the boondocks by myself. It's just not worth it to me to purchase two generators to piggyback at a cost of over $1,000.00+ (used) just to get cool during the day when I should be out exploring the desert instead of sitting inside. I can do that at home.

7. bob414

bob414 New Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I have heard the same thing. I most cases the starting current would exceed what a 2000 Watt generator would produce. Had a friend in a Aliner that ran his small window type fine on 2K gen. Everything depends on the size of AC.
    I looked at the 3500 watt generators, did not want to lug a 100 lbs generator around all the time at my age. Decided to test on my 2000 Watt and if necessary parallel another with it. 50 lbs each. Without AC the 2k Watt is more efficient handling the PUP's loads. And I would have a backup, for PUP necessaries. HF freq has sales on that gen. It is rated by CR as close to the $1000 most popular brand.

8. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

How do you synchronize them?

9. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    They come with connecting wires if they are compatible to be hooked up together. You cannot connect them unless they are the same brand and have the same output.

This is how mine would connect if I had two of them:

[​IMG]