1st trip out, and issues.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by bigal45lc, Jun 17, 2019.

1. bigal45lc

bigal45lc New Member

My Suburban water heater pilot light won't stay lit, it seems the main heater fire blows out the pilot light about half the time.
    It's a 2007 StarCraft 11 RT, Suburban SW-6p heater.
    Any tips or tricks? needs a cleaning perhaps? If so, what do I clean?
    I also have issues with my Cassette toilet not flushing, it's an SC400 Thetford.
    I think it runs strictly DC power? My battery is good, all other appliances on that system work fine, perhaps a bad switch?
    Thanx!

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

If the cassette toilet is is power flush, I know there is a fuse somewhere. Mine is manual flush, but I've read enough threads to know lots of people have to replace that fuse.

I had a lot of problems lighting my water tank and keeping it lit. I eventually converted to electric with a kit called Hybrid Heat and no longer have to deal with that problem Unless you are boondocking, it's a good solution. The cord plugs in separately from the camper, so doesn't impact your 30 amps. Install is super easy and it can be converted back to propane very easily for a trip where you don't have electric.

3. bigal45lc

bigal45lc New Member

Thanks Orchid!
    I looked and found the fuse, it was difficult to get to up in there, but was blown.
    And I found another thread on this subject, guess I should have done more research.
    Ah well, I knew someone here would have an answer, this site is great for that.
    Now on to the water heater, Guess I need to use pipe cleaners on the pilot feed yube first, and go from there.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

On my water heater there is a thermocouple that the pilot will heat up. If it is not at the correct temp it will cut off the gas supply. Not sure if that is your issue or not - I had to clean the tip a little with some steel wool as carbon buildup will work as an insulator. I have to do the same thing to the one in the house every couple years too. If your main supply is kicking on that probably isn't the issue though.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. bheff

bheff Active Member

Are you positive you have a pilot light? Mine is electronic ignition and only comes on when it needs to heat the water.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I always would say thermo coupler if its bot staying lit. Its a 10$ ish part , and easy to replace.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would not clean the pilot feed tube with a pipe cleaner or wire. Take it off and blow it out backwards and soak it in denatured alcohol. The pipe cleaner or wire will enlarge the hole.

Do you have to light your pilot with a match/lighter? Or is it a direct light one. There several different configurations of the 6 gal water heater.

The type of pilots that you have to light with a match or lighter. The flame need to be centered on the thermocoupler. The thermocouple should be clean. The thermocouple can be replaced and the part is reasonable. I belive there is a way to increase the pilot light flame size via an adjustment screw.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The OP has already told us it's a Suburban SW6P which requires lighting the pilot manually. Rather than try to suck any debris out of the combustion chamber use a shop vac to blow it out - but wear eye protection! Checking the thermocouple positioning is a good idea as well but the WH main flame may still extinguish so try propping the hatch cover out 1/2 way so the burner gets more air - that was the solution for my own SW6P in our Santa Fe.

9. bigal45lc

bigal45lc New Member

Thanx all, ok ,so I have now had the thing lit several times after using compressed air to thoroughly blow it out, and it still blows the the pilot about half the time.
    I ran it and then tested the hot water heater by running the outside shower until the heater kicked in, and it blew out the pilot 3 times out of 5.
    I'll try cleaning the tube with alcohol and replace the thermocoupler