2000 Coleman/Fleetwood canvas separating from roof

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by goddess330, May 29, 2015.

1. goddess330

goddess330 New Member

May 29, 2015
    I put up our "new to us" pop up and discovered a problem in the front corner. It was slightly obscured by the curtain the previous owner had hung, so idk if it was already there or if it ripped when i put it up. He said it was in "perfect condition" before i took possession. Anyway I want to add some pics to show what i mean. Does anyone have an idea how to fix? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started with far away pics then got closer. The canvas is stitched to the rubber strip and the strip ripped as if perforated by the stitching.

2. UtahCamperGuy

UtahCamperGuy New Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I would think you would have to remove that section of canvass and have it re-sewn

3. tjmama

tjmama Member

May 12, 2014
    Ditto, that's what it looks like. If you know someone who sews not a big issue. If not take it to a local canvas or awning shop. Shouldn't cost much.

4. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    The rubber in the track is called arrowhead molding. The Sunbrella fabric is sewn to the molding, it has a tendency to tear along the seam.

Two options.... find arrowhead molding, use a "Speedy Stitcher" or needle nose pliers and HEAVY needle and sew it yourself. OR send the panel(s) affected to Bear Creek Canvas or Canvas Replacements and they will replace the molding and sew it for you.

I have done this repair and am doing another small section today! I found the speedy Stitcher at JoAnn fabric or you can buy it HERE
    Bear Creek and Canvas Replacements click through the portal so the portal gets a little $$.
    Good luck with your repair - by the way - IIRC, Canvas sold the molding $1/foot and if they do the repair it was $3/foot plus shipping them your canvas.

5. goddess330

goddess330 New Member

May 29, 2015
    Thank you so much. I ordered the arrowhead molding and the speedy stitcher. Now i wait :)

6. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    UPDATE,
    I did the EXACT repair today - mine was the short piece in that corner. Only took about 15 minutes to sew on 2" section of molding. Word of caution, keep your finger away from the 'point' of insertion [}:)] don't ask me how I know [V] [LOL]

There are several videos I recommend watching one or two make the directions a little clearer.
    Speedy Stitcher video

7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    The canvas is pretty easy to remove from the camper and sew on a sewing machine. I had to fix the arrowhead on my last camper just like that. I just used a wide stitch setting on my machine and sewed it back together.

More important, is to find out WHY it ripped. Mine had the stop collar in the wiffle tree at the wrong location that would allow me to over lift the top. That put too much stress on the arrowhead and tore it. The stop collar had a shear pin that sheared and I just had to pound out the old and install a new. At the same time I cleaned and lubed and adjusted the roof height.

You really do not want to fix the symptom (arrowhead) and not the problem. Check your roof height.

8. Oldcolemanman

Oldcolemanman New Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Arrowhead moulding is sold on eBay in 12 and 14 foot lengths.

9. goddess330

goddess330 New Member

May 29, 2015
    I got it fixed! Using the sewing awl it was a piece of cake (sort of )

10. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Way To GO!! :) Don't you feel empowered?! [;)] [MOD]

Now to make the camper yours........ [MOD] [MOD] [MOD]

11. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    Have you checked your roof height to make sure it isn't going up too high? You don't want to have to fix your fix if there is an issue still.