2001 Coleman Bayside Elite

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by kmbarreiros, Oct 6, 2017.

1. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Hey fellow campers,

First time camper owner. Been tent camping all my life and now with three little ones I feel that a popup might suit us a little better. Also been trying to find a way to get into carpentry and figured this would be a good way to gain some skills.
    Current problems:
    - The biggest issue is floor rot in the front including cabinets and front wall.
    - The front box will need complete overhaul and floor replacement.
    - Canvas needs major cleaning and patching (mice made a home)
    - Cushions need reupholstering and will need new king size bed mattresses. T
    - The roof on this unit has zero cracks :) just plan on cleaning and maybe doing the grizzly coat.
    - Rubber gasket around top will need to be replaced
    - Will need new tires and stabilizers on all four corners.
    - Did tow home about 35 mins on highway but status on lights and trailer brakes are currently unknown

This thread is to show my progression and keep track of how long this may take.
    Picked it up for $200
    Day 1 Removed all Canvas will need cleaning and repairing has holes from mice. My mother in law who is a canvas repair lady will take care off all of this. Removed driver side interior cabinetry, stove, sink, water heater and started removing front box.

Day 2
    Completed removal of front box and propane cover, removed inverter and interior heater, and left front cabinet. Then removed front wall. After this I finally removed the front floor under the box and cut out about 1 foot of main flooring in the front.

All photos (Google drive) 20171001_094711.jpg 20171001_094711.jpg 20171001_094723.jpg 20171001_094731.jpg 20171001_094749.jpg 20171001_094756.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTHtJNpcVStTUE1ZF9DX3FuXzA

Attached Files:

2. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

More pictures:

20171003_123225.jpg 20171003_123229.jpg 20171003_123231.jpg 20171003_123235.jpg 20171003_123242.jpg 20171003_145154.jpg 20171003_145201.jpg 20171003_154038.jpg 20171003_155025.jpg 20171003_155028.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  3. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Day 2 pictures:

20171006_122635.jpg 20171006_124247.jpg 20171006_133837.jpg 20171006_150309.jpg 20171006_150312.jpg 20171006_150314.jpg 20171006_150322.jpg 20171006_155336.jpg
    20171006_155344.jpg 20171006_155354.jpg

4. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Measured for new floor, instead of 2 separate pieces we are going with one. Painted bottom with some white oil based paint that I had lying around.
    Hope to install the floor tomorrow. A week of rain is coming so wont be able to get too much work done after today.

20171007_185445.jpg 20171007_192456.jpg Day 3,

5. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Not much done today. Just starting fixing some of the trailer light wiring. Looks like all the plastic grommets were missing in the frame so a bunch of the wiring was frayed. Had to cut it at the back pull it forward. Then I re spliced heatshrinked and put the wiring in some plastic loom to help protect it. Now we can put the front floor in.
    Unfortunately while working in the back I am now noticing about a foot of flooring is also saturated with water. So looks like at some point I will be removing the entire back also. No pictures today.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  6. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Yes I still have this not much has been done.
    After fixing some wiring I was able to get the outside lights working but were fairly dim. Need to check and redo some grounds.
    Over the past month my father in law has cut me a bunch of wood to replace all the interior cabinets. We also have the new front wall cut and ready to install.

It still may be awhile as I am not able to move the camper into my driveway and I just broke my ankle last week and will be laid up for another 6-8 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Well at lest you started strong:D

8. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

I had foot surgery right before we bought ours. I had lots of time to scheme about what I was going to do and the thousand different solutions. You'll get back up on your feet and moving soon and so will the project.

9. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

I just started a reno on what looks like this exact model, yours is possibly slightly newer. I have it almost completely gutted, and am preparing to do the floor and interior walls. Looks like the dinette will need to come out in order to do them properly, and potentially even the front box. I will start a thread soon with pics of status. Classic case of 'bit off more than I can chew' - but hopefully can at LEAST get walls and floor done before Memorial day weekend.

Hope your ankle is doing better, would love to see how this build is progressing.

10. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Thanks man and good luck...I am getting so anxious to start working on mine. This ankle and weather has been such a bummer.
    Please start a thread and document everything. There are a couple of good threads on here with people doing renovations.
    Since my front box is completely wasted and I am not reinstalling the hot water heater i am going to something similar to this:
    camp3.jpg
    I will leave it open and make a small caged area to tie down totes, fishing poles and bikes. There is a picture of exactly what I want I just can not seem to find it right now.
    I go back to work in May and we canceled our Portugal trip in June so my plan is to take those 3 weeks in June to get it to a point where I can start using it. Weather is almost at the point were I can pull out all of the canvas (in the shed) wash it and then my mother in law will start fixing it for me. I did have to have surgery and got two screws in my ankle. Been in a walking boot for about 6 weeks and still getting used to walking again.

I found the thread check this out for the front this is what I would really like to do:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/partial-floor-replacement.116279/#post-1184295

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Stang65fst and ryguyFam like this.
  11. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Ahh nice! Yeah I came across that thread too - I def don't hate the open rack idea, but hopefully my front box doesn't have any real damage and I can just keep it. If I did redo it - I actually REALLY like that diamond plate front panel and box. Would probably end up building something similar, nice to have the sealed and lockable storage. Like I mentioned I gutted everything and the only thing left to remove is the water heater up front, as you did. No clue if it functions or not, but I am going to go waterless regardless - 2 young campers so likelihood of needing onboard water (though it would be nice) is pretty low at this point - no wilderness boondocking yet. I think I am in luck as far as condition, I thought it was pretty bad until I saw a lot of the renos on here, lol. I suppose mine is actually pretty nice for it's age. It was a hand-me-down from my parents so not having any money into it so far is super nice, don't mind spending a bit to get it up to snuff.

Man that sucks about your ankle - hope you get back on it soon! Sounds like you will have plenty of time to finish off yours, but hopefully you can start it soon and really get into it before the season fully begins. That's cool that you remove the canvas for storage (or is that just for the reno?). I would love to remove the canvas from mine but it seems a bit daunting. It's in fairly decent condition so hopefully it will hold up. Needs new bungees for sure, a couple small (non-screen) patches, but it holds the water out.

Sorry for the textual diarrhea - I work on a computer every day all day so stream of consciousness typing is something I excel at. I will definitely have a waayyy TL;DR original post on my reno when I can actually grab some shots - currently raining up in NH so will get some Saturday for sure.

12. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Sitting in the same rain so I feel you.
    Taking the canvas off wasn't that difficult but I had no choice. I have a lot of holes to patch from the previous owner who let mice make a home in it. And my mother in law is a canvas worker so our entire mud room has an industrial sewing machine setup. She is also going to replace the screens.
    I have 3 young ones 8,6,and 4 and a dog and we love to go camping. Hench why I wanted one of these larger ones. Check ebay for the bungees they are still fairly common and I always see them on there.
    I plan on getting some. I will also be getting a new roof gasket and 4 lift/levelers. Mine did not come with them. Also check the back corner floors. I found a little floor rot in the back so I will be doing a patch back there also.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    DJS12354 likes this.
  13. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Finally got some nicer weather! I got some more done on my reno, hope you were able to as well! We ended up taking one bunk end canvas off and it was much easier than anticipated, so thanks for the confidence there! That is awesome you have a canvas seamstress to help with your project, we will probably end up replacing ours next year, but it is serviceable enough this year.

I did find a lil, mmm weathering? in the floor boards in the corners and esp. in the box. (Lol - not quite rotted out, but def has seen some exposure before. Seems solid enough plywood though - going to just go with it!). The box is fine for this year as well, but will likely replace it at some point. I do need to replace that wall between the camper and the box though, and that will be fun I can tell.

We have 2 and 4 year old boys and a big lab mix pup as well - definitely the more space the better!! These PUPs are great, can't wait to get out in it after we complete. I also need new roof gasket, and at least 2 of the levelers, been using scissor jacks and man what a PITA. Also need the tongue jack as well, any thoughts on those? Thinking the bolt on 1000lb capacity Reese jack on Amazon or whatever...

14. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Got my thread started - needs some more updating as far as plans and status so far but I am bushed from doing some work today. Coming soon! Thread is in my sig. Have some questions for ya - firstly wondering how you got that front box back wall (the one that is the inside front wall) off those brackets?

15. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Finally made some progress.
    Pulled out the canvas from the shed then bleached and washed it. My mother in law won't work on it until it is clean.

3 pieces took me most of the day (Don't forget ankle still healing). 2 left and they are the largest. I was very surprised at how well the canvas and the glass cleaned up.

20180503_103926.jpg 20180503_103938.jpg 20180504_154400.jpg

Attached Files:

16. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Nice! Super clean looking. Want to do mine for me? ;-)

17. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

Over this past week I got one more piece cleaned and rolled up.
    I also opened the pop up and got some work done. Dismantled the rear cabinet, removed the Fridge and rear bed. After removing some of the linoleum I did find that the entire rear floor is soft so I will have to patch about a good foot of the rear floor.

18. ryguyFam

ryguyFam Member

Sucks when you find that, I lucked out and I don't think I will need to replace any of the main box floor. The front storage box is pretty bad where the water heater was and will need to be replaced. Next year...lol. It should last one more season.

Keep up the good work! Any pix? Bout to update my thread if you'd like to see my progress.

19. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

I actually got a bunch done this past Friday. Got the entire rear section removed. Pulled out the rest of the cabinets around the fridge. Found an old mouse nest.
    Second I wd40'd the entire wiffle tree assembly and sprayed it down with some silicone spray. Found a second mouse nest in there Also. Now it turns much easier.
    Lastly I wired brushed the entire front of the frame to prep for some paint.
    Not the best best pictures but will post some more tonight.

20180526_144938.jpg 20180526_144947.jpg

20. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros Member

20180529_161728.jpg 20180529_161720.jpg 20180529_161713.jpg