2002 Coleman Utah Overhaul

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Faboo2bme2, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Faboo2bme2

Faboo2bme2 New Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Hi guys-

I’m remodeling a 2002 Coleman Utah. I couldn’t be more excited about this process but would love some advice from y’all!

1) I’ll be recovering the cushions. I plan on going with Sunbrella indoor/outdoor material.
    Can anyone tell me how to measure for this? I would rather have some left over than be just short.

2) Id like to replace the light fixtures with LED - hopefully that have a dimming option.

3) Has anyone swapped the MDF cabinets out for real wood? I’d really love to dress up new cabinets with a little trim... making them look more residential. (My fiancé is currently rolling his eyes over this, but he is a good sport!)

4) I’m not sure if this mod is in the cards- but I’d like to replace the front storage box in diamond plating. Has anyone done this?

I really appreciate everyone’s help and knowledge on this!! Thank you so much!!

-Brandy

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Good luck with your remodel. If you take a bulb from your existing lights there should be a number on the side and you can go on Amazon and find the LEDs you need. Going to be doing this myself when I save up enough for all my projects. as for your cushions first you need to figure out what type of cover you want to make. Are you trying to make a slipcover to slide your cushions in and have a zipper that allows access to get the cushions out, or do what some do and just staple the new cover onto the cushions. I myself was thinking of making a slip cover to allow easy cleaning. Between dogs and my little side kick dirt gets everywhere. If you go the slip cover route you will need to measure all sides of the cushions, back front sides and leave excess In your measurements. Multiply those numbers by the number of cushions your covering. But do also keep in mind how wide your fabric you buy is. To ensure you have enough to cover your sides. This is also on my to do list but this is going to be expensive project. The cost of fabric is so expensive now. [:(] Can't help you with your other plans, but want to mention real wood cabinets will add a lot of weight to the camper. Your axle can only manage so much so you will have to keep that in mind.

3. CamperLover

CamperLover For evil to triumph, Good men do nothing

Jul 28, 2015
    I just did this. First I thought the samething about the weight but you have to remember that you are removing a ton as well. I used 5/8 plywood for the floor, storage box/cabin wall, front storage box with 3/4 as well. I called a mod shop that does work like you are asking with aluminum. The price was outrageous. I could rebuild my box 2 to 3 times and still be cheaper.

The dim LEDs, not a good idea. LEDs work at a specific voltage. They do make dimmable LEDs but they are much more expensive and harder to find. I am not saying you cant do it just do your research.

I would be happy to help if you want to PM me. I have a ton of post here as well as research and links. Just ask away lol.
    20170625_174637.jpg 20170925_102401.jpg 20170927_110452.jpg 20170905_071352.jpg

4. Faboo2bme2

Faboo2bme2 New Member

Nov 14, 2017

Hold the phone.... is that an OVEN?!?! That spray faucet, I’m thinking I’ll need to pick your brain :)

5. CamperLover

Jul 28, 2015
  6. CamperLover

Jul 28, 2015
    Bring it. Would be happy to help!

20171017_192049.jpg

7. Jose

Jose New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    So you took it all apart and rebuild it?? thats so awesome!

8. CamperLover

Jul 28, 2015
    Thank you not bad for a computer geek. I rebuilt all of it. I remove the crappy MDF and OSB boards. The storage box was a total loss. The floor had rot. All cabinets and dinette were changed for plywood. Looking back I would have paid a little more for one side to be finished. Too much work to wood fill sand and sand and sand. I would recommend the Gripper primer sealer. I had excellent results. At home depot they had an additive for mold inhibitor. A small bottle about 3 bucks. You can color the primer to match the top coat. What I mean is dont pick black if the top coat is white. Mine was ship grey. Allow plenty of cure time. If you sand too soon it will ball up into gritty mess. Let it do its job... seal. Then prep to paint. Also pick a plan of attack for 2 main reasons. 1 Choose a color pattern and decor. This way you won't second guess yourself and hold the project up on changing your mind. This will do two things. Keep the ball rolling. The one thing people complain about is frustration and wanting it to be over. 2 A plan can give you joy after completing each segment. Last tip you will encounter bigger problems you didn't know were there. Everyone does. Stick to the plan. In the long run you will save time and money. I picked New age rustic. The 2nd picture I make a slide out spice rack. Oh if you sand and seal the floor make sure you take it to the frame because temp changes will cause moisture and the wood needs to breathe. So you can seal but all sides plus better with harder woods

20170625_174637.jpg 20170925_102401.jpg 20170925_125835.jpg 20170927_110506.jpg

9. CamperLover

Jul 28, 2015
    What I am getting at is the rebuild was not as bad as you think. Now I look back and wish I did it sooner. Total wood cost $150 to $190
    20170714_095837.jpg 20170625_174653.jpg 20170716_201203.jpg 20170926_130330.jpg