2002 Jayco Eagle Summit 14 SO ????

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by G8R Fan, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:06 PM.

1. penny

penny Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I'm not an expert. But it looks clean, if very large. are you looking for a big camper?

2. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    She's a big girl. You have to make sure that you have enough tow vehicle for her. For a trailer that big electric brakes are a must, probably a trailer break a way switch. Anti sway bars too. You will find here in the portal a pre buy check list. If the list checks out, for that price I would go for it.
    Boo Gators! Go Buckeyes!!

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Nice camper, its big. Good Luck!

2004 Eagle Floorplan 14 SO
    WEIGHTS
    Unloaded Vehicle Weight 2675
    Approx. Hitch Weight (lbs) 280
    Axle Weight (lbs) 2395
    Gross Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3330
    Cargo Carrying Capacity (w/out options) (lbs) 655
    MEASUREMENTS
    Travel Length 18'-10"
    Campsite Length 26'
    Approx. Travel Height 57"
    TANK CAPACITIES
    Fresh Water Capacity (gals) 17

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like a nice camper in the pictures. Obviously the real question is what does it look like in real life. When you go see it, feel the roof and floor carefully to ensure everything is solid. Look under the camper and make sure there is no major rust. If I remember correctly the Tacoma has the same tow capacity as my 4Runner of 5000 or more pounds so you should be ok if that is the case. You may struggle if towing over steep mountains. I agree with the others, to look into a sway bar to help and I would think that popup is already equipped with breaks, but make sure. Good luck.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    When I was looking to replace my 99 Jayco Laurel I was very seriously looking for a 14SO. I wasn't looking forward to the prospect of towing a TT. pups tow so easy it's like cheating. I love the dual axle. Don't know why, just do.
    Jayco loved the surge brakes, I agree that electrics are better. On something that old the surge brake hydraulics (if equipped) may need serious attention. When I refurbed my 99 in 2014/15 I had to replace the master cylinder and flush the hell out of the lines. Thankfully, the master cylinder was the only casualty. I expected to replace lines and wheel cylinders.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Jayco made solid trailers back then. I have a 99 Jayco Laurel, and have been very happy with it. The 14SO was also on my list to get as well, but for my needs I like the floorplan on mine better - that extra counterspace really comes in handy, and I have no need for the extra sleeping capacity the 14SO offers.

I would miss the front storage trunk though. It really comes in handy, especially since the slide on mine eats up so much interior storage space in travel mode.

This one looks pretty clean, but I would guess the surge brakes are no good anymore. Hardly anyone maintains them, and I would guess the rubber has long rotted out of the master cylinder on the tongue. You should also check the rubber flex lines from the hard line to the wheel cylinders. On mine the line ended up too close to the wheel and wore a hole in it.

There is some wrinkling on the lower quarter panel, so definitely check the underside for impact damage, and a good check of the roof is warranted to make sure the seals are OK.

Best of luck!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    You can get electric brake backing plates and drums from eTrailer pretty cheap. Check 'em out.

8. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    I have the 04 eagle 12FSO and love it. If it is sound with everything in working condition, go for it. Price seems ok and you can always work it down.