2003 Coleman Westlake AC Install Questions

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by ThePope, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ThePope

ThePope New Member

Hi All,

I am fairly new here so I still need to look around and see if I can find a thread on this already but I am wondering what the best course of action is for this pup. I tore down the ceiling today as it had a bunch of water damage that I am repairing. It had the 4 little mount points for an AC unit so I know I can roof mount one, I am going to add some cross braces to handle the weight better.

What I am wanting to know is what would you do if you had the ceiling open like this? There is 1/2 inch of space I can take advantage of. Would you run power to the AC unit in the ceiling? Is there a way I can tie it into my breaker box to run off power when I am plugged into a camp site or does it have to be its own external plug? There is enough room at the ends of each support beam to get a fairly thick wire past so I should be able to snake a wire around easy enough.

Any form posts you can link with info is much appreciated! Thanks for the help!

IMG_20190618_111139.jpg
    IMG_20190618_111320.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wire it internaly. If you need to remove the ac, it would become a pita. Plus you would have it in the way when opening and closing the roof. My older westlake( diffrent roof) does need the bracing. Its a big roof so i would definitely add bracing. Maybe one on each side? Might as well over do it.

Orchid likes this.
  3. ThePope

ThePope New Member

I ended up wiring the inside portion over to the corner where I will punch it out to an external plug that will drop down to my power. Worked easy enough and I added some braces. I think I might move these braces though as I decided to do it dead center and that might not be the best idea haha. I think I am going to slide to closer to the front to handle the weight better.
    IMG_20190618_151016.jpg

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've never seen a pop up a/c wired through the ceiling. They have all had a cord that runs down the wall and plugs into a special plug next to the converter.

5. ThePope

ThePope New Member

Ya instead of running the 12/2 power wire across the ceiling and over to the corner where it punches out to go down to the converter I am just running it inside the ceiling and over so it is hidden. Same setup as most others use but this way there will not be any visible wires inside the pup.

Orchid likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Oh, I get it! The only problem with that is if you have to replace the wiring at some point. I had to do exactly that last summer. The outlet burned out and the plug to the a/c. I was originally going to just replace the outlet w/wiring and cut the a/c cord up about 12" and add a new plug. Then I brought it up with my best friend's husband, who is a master electrician. He told me that I had to replace the entire cord and all the wiring, as there could be melted wire that I couldn't see inside the cord insulation, and it was dangerous to not replace it all. I'm not sure what caused the whole affair, but I was glad to not have to tear out my ceiling.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You have to make sure the cord will be out of the way when pushing in the bunks and lower the roof.