2004 Starcraft Centennial 3606

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MomTo2InVA, May 30, 2010.

1. MomTo2InVA

MomTo2InVA New Member

May 30, 2010
    We went to an RV dealer yesterday and looked at their used inventory. We didn't love any of the ones we looked at. Then the sales guy said they had another popup that had just come in and hadn't been cleaned up yet but we could probably look at it. That was the 2004 Starcraft Centennial 3606. They popped it up for us - it's a real mess. They kept saying that next week it would look alot better once they cleaned it up and made repairs. The camper has some wonderful features and is a great size for our family. But I'm concerned about 2 things. 1) it seems underpriced which makes me wonder if something is very wrong with it - priced at $4500 2) the current condition is pretty terrible (rips, mold, etc) - we're going to go back and see it next week after they clean it up.

Any advice on what we should look at when we go back next week? We've never owned a popup before so not sure what I should be specifically checking before purchasing.

Thanks for your help!!

2. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

May 27, 2009
    Whitehouse, Tennessee
    I've never really priced this particular camper or been in one but did a quick google search and found this http://www.starcraftrvs.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=683179 it is a year newer, but quite a bit higher priced. If you are at all concerned about the condition I'd keep looking. Seeing it in it's current condition shows you how the previous owner mainained it.

3. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Jun 9, 2006
    Glenburn, Maine
    Look at every roof seem, Is there recent caulking? Feel every inch of the roof side boards, is there any soft or punky feeling spots. Why is there mold in the camper? Look underneath the camper at the floor, any soft spots or rot? What is ripped in the interior? Just from your general description, I would say that the p.o. didn't take very good care of their investmentGood Luck in your search.

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    What dealer is it at?

5. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Welcome to the portal. Small tears can be repaired with a repair tape. Check to floors in the corners for soft spots. When we first looked at ours from a private seller it had been sitting under a tree for two months and was very dirty and almost walked away, however every thing was solid and a couple of hours work it was very nice. Check the tire carefully for weather checking as that could be an issue. Ask the dealer to show you how all the systems work. Make sure your TV can handle the weight and the frontal area of the camper.
    Good Luck and keep looking if this one does not work out.
    Happy Camping
    Ken

6. MomTo2InVA

MomTo2InVA New Member

May 30, 2010
    We went back and it was perfect! We pick it up on the 18th (that's the soonest we can bring our truck in for hitch work). Can't wait to go on our first trip! Thanks for all of your advice!

hvac1877 - it's at Restless Wheels

7. RayT38

Jun 9, 2006
    Glenburn, Maine
    4500. for a 3606 in perfect condition?!!!! you stole that camper!!!! Good luck and happy camping!

8. barb_dave

barb_dave New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your soon to be ntu camper. You'll have to get some pics posted.

As with others, before taking it off the lot make sure all of the systems furnace, water pump, A/C etc. work.

If there is a problem with any of them you can ask to have the problem fixed or negotiate for a lower price. Some things can be very expensive to replace such as a 3 way fridge ($500-700) or furnace ($500)

9. MomTo2InVA

MomTo2InVA New Member

May 30, 2010
    RayT38 - when I say "perfect" I meant perfect for us - not perfect condition [:D]
    We'll have to replace the mattresses and make some other minor fixes. But all in all I think we got a stellar deal. We booked our first trip for the weekend of the 19th - so after that I guess I'll know if something is really wrong!

Barb_Dave - I have some pics - I'll have to figure out how to load them. We're going to have a walk through with the dealer on the 18th so we'll be sure to test everything out. We tested most of it the other day.

10. MomTo2InVA

MomTo2InVA New Member

May 30, 2010
    Here is a link to some pictures:
    http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Momto2inVA/Starcraft%203606/

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    Congrats on the Camper!!!!! Heard good thing about restless wheels!!! We will see you out camping soon.

12. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

May 27, 2009
    Whitehouse, Tennessee
    Wow! That looks very nice. I hope you have good luck with it.

13. RayT38

Jun 9, 2006
    Glenburn, Maine
    Really nice camper, it looks like you got a very good deal. I am really partial to Starcrafts, I am on my third one. Enjoy yours.

14. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    Nice looking High Wall pup, congrats. [A]

15. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    congratulations on the NTU camper. Glad it worked out for you
    Happy Camping
    Ken

16. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

May 30, 2008
    Herndon, VA
    MOMto2inVA
    we where there on Saturday looking at the Hybrids and ended up with the Shamrock 21SS... How was your experience with sales and service? They seem to be a good reputable delare/service store and their prices seem reasonable and competitive. What is your experience? We are picking our unit tomorrow afternoon as we delt with Fran on the sales side.

P.S. - we are in Oak Hill / Herndon area.

17. barb_dave

barb_dave New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for posting the pics. Very nice camper for sure!

18. 5happycampers

5happycampers New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    We have a 2003 Starcraft Centennial 3606 and love it. We have three kids and a dog and it works out great. The bathroom is great too for those middle of the night trips. Best of luck with it. Post pictures once you get it out there. I have some pictures posted on Webshots.

19. MomTo2InVA

MomTo2InVA New Member

May 30, 2010
    Noni
    Congrats on the new hybrid. We were checking them out while we were at RW - they were very nice! We've had a good experience there so far. We've dealt with Mark. We're getting our hitch work done there also but we can't get it done until the 17th, because we'll be away. We'll do our walk through when we pick up the truck. Then we go away on our first trip on the 18th! I'm so excited!

20. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

May 30, 2008
    Herndon, VA
    Momto2inVA
    Thank you, yes so far it has been a good experience. They have technicians that know what they are doing, and are willing to help and share ideas with mods and repairs. At least that has been my experience in the past with our PU and Tony in parts.