2006 Honda Odyssey- Tow Vehicle Wiring. So simple.

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by kb2qqm, May 21, 2015.

1. kb2qqm

kb2qqm New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    YEAH !! WE LEAVE FOR OUR CAMPING TRIP TOMORROW. Oh NO ! The Tow Vehicle Electrical box trailer light wiring doesn't work. NOT Again !!!

This happens to me every year. I take it to the RV dealer and it's $$$ and a giant waste of time. It drives me crazy. I'm stressed, my wife is pissed off, because she told me to do it 3 weeks ago, and it's stress city.

So yesterday after not having used the camper since last year, I back up and connect to the trailer and hook up the wiring [PUC], and of course the box is shot [:(!] [:(!] [:(!] [?:~{] [{}=] [{}=] [{}=]

So I went to my local dealer and found a Custom Plug and Play kit that fits my 2006 Honda Odyssey Perfectly. It took 20 minutes to install and I even made my own video on youtube. Yes it's totally unprofessional...but it was SOOOO easy. $44. 20 minutes and now I am ready for Memorial Day, without all the worry and headaches of pulling the trailer with no lights or some lights. [:D] So no this isn't an advertisement and I don't work for Curt MFG, but wanted to pass along this awesome kit if you are having trouble with your Tow Vehicle. I am so happy, and absolutely shocked because it was so easy. Nothing is ever easy when you are turning a wrench but this kit was awesome. tools were scissors, 10mm wrench, pliers, and that's it.

https://youtu.be/g0MMYcGEaj8

Greg Heath
    Racine, WI

KaptainKrrrk likes this.
  2. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

May 5, 2015
    Thanks for the reminder. I didnt plug my harness in when i pulled it out of the garage two weeks ago. I should hook it up and test tonight, as we leave tomorrow AM for 5 days [:D] [PU] [CP]

3. kb2qqm

kb2qqm New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hope your trip is going good. :)

4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Yes, the Odys are nice with the T plug and have been this easy since the 1999 model year came out. Gets more complex if you are hooking up a 7 pin, but for the 4 pin it is very easy.

5. kb2qqm

kb2qqm New Member

Mar 7, 2013
    It was literally a 20 minute install. I was so pleasantly surprised.

Greg

6. eagle

eagle Member

May 2, 2017
    Hi MNTCmper. I find myself needing a 7-pin now. I've been searching for info on that, and I found your comment but have so far not found info on wiring a 7-pin into my 2008 Odyssey. Do you know where I could find info on that? Thanks!

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I would recommend that you head over to Odyclub.com There are several threads there that deal with the upgrade. It is not plug and play, you will have to run several additional wires yourself or have someone do it, but it is easy. Main thing is break controller and additional power lead(or two).

8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    MNTCamper suggested the same thing my husband said. The Odyssey Owners Club will have the threads you need. He installed the Hopkins Insight brake controller. He liked the fact that the controller could be installed on the dash instead of under the steering wheel. He needs all the leg room he can get. Plus, the manual input is within easier reach. The percentage of braking power display is handy too.

9. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    E-trailer has a tutorial videos on this.

10. eagle

eagle Member

May 2, 2017
    Thanks, all. I will check out odyclub and etrailer.

11. KaptainKrrrk

KaptainKrrrk New Member

May 12, 2015
    Good Job and nice video. I have an 06 Oddy too, and did a harness myself w/o a wiring box. Happy camping