2011 Coleman Water Pump running, no water pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by brockeverly, Oct 17, 2011.

1. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    I have a 2011 Coleman Santa Fe Cp we just purchased in July. Unfortunately, there is no warranty as Coleman Trailers are no more. The water pump is running continuously but no water pressure. I checked the filter and it was full of small pieces of plastic, as was the hose going to it. It is not clogged. I pulled the filter side off and turned on the pump and did not feel any suction coming from it. I have never used the pump as I have always had a city connection so I just found the issue. Does this sound like a bad pump or am I missing something?

2. ghacker

ghacker New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Let me start by saying I haven't worked on a Shurflo pump in at least 20 yrs. and don't remember a thing about them. But I have worked on a number of larger pumps so I'm not totally clueless on how they work.

Here's what I'd do. Not sure you'd be able to feel suction for a Shurflo pump. It's meant to pump liquid, not air. I'd put the supply side hose back on and dip it in a small container of water to see if it'll prime. If so, the pump's not the problem and it's likely a kink or obstruction in the line. If it is the pump, I'd contact Shurflo. They have the warranty on the pump, not Coleman. I suspect what happened is that some plastic pieces in the line got into the pump and either tore up a seal or jammed the vanes.

3. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I would like to add that you must prime the pump by put water up to the impellers and then dip the hose in water.

4. marcham

marcham New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    So maybe the hose between the tank and the filter is clogged? Sounds like when the tank was tapped for the fittings, it wasn't flushed out.

Can you remove the pump and hook a short garden hose dipped in a bucket to it and see if that works?

5. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Most of the Shurflo RV pumps are "self-priming."

6. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Just keep trying it your way.

7. marcham

marcham New Member

Aug 2, 2011
  8. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    So I finally tackled this today, and no resolution. Here is what I have done.

1 - Removed the entire line from the tank to the pump and blew it with compressed air. More small pieces of plastic came out, it is now 100% open. I also looked for damage, there is none.

2 - Removed the elbow that connects the tank to the inlet hose and blew it out with compressed air. Nothing came out, it was free and clear.

3 - Took the pump off and removed 6 screws holding the pump head on to check the diaphragm. There was no noticeable damage, and no plastic or debris inside the pump.

4 - After hooking everything back up I turned on all faucets inside and outside and turned the pump on. The pump just ran nonstop as it has been with no water being pumped.

I am out of ideas and am ready to just smash this thing. I downloaded the manual from Shurflo and it is self priming and they state it can move water for up to twelve feet. The only thing left I can think to do is put the inlet hose into a bucket of water, but honestly I cannot see that doing anything but piss me off more.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    OK, I gotta ask: Is there enough water in the fresh water tank to cover the pump inlet?

10. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Sure is, it is completely full.

So I just put the inlet hose straight into a gallon jug held above the pump and nothing. Poured water down the inlet hose and turned the pump on and still nothing.

FRUSTRATING!

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    i dont know about shuflow pumps i know in large pumps there can be a seal busted. What kind of plastic did you find? Is the pump moving the impeller?

12. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Looks to me like the plastic from inside the water tank, not the pumps plastic (all pump plastic is black, tank is clear). I am fairly certain that the pump is just shot, just makes no sense as the pump has been used once or twice at most.

I am not sure if the impeller is moving, but it sounds like it is.

13. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    also check for a metal screen inside the pump which could have stuff in it or does the pump have a check valve in it that maybe is stuck closed?

14. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    There is a small filter that attaches to it with a screen over it. I have even attached directly to the pump from the gallon jug, nothing.

15. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    I had this problem on my 05 coachmen i had i had replace the pump they cost about $90.00 dollars you might be-able to get just the head for the pump.

16. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

Aug 21, 2011
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/shurflo-swivel-nut-strainers/8083

do you have anything that looks like this attached to your water pump, or near it ?

I had similar issue last fall, no water pressure at all, was pretty confused by this as weeks prior, it worked fine.

what I found was the bowl had loosened just enough to break suction and not let the pump draw.

I figured it out when we went to winterize the water system and I pulled the main water filter out and just unscrewed the bowl ( it was very loose ) to check the screen for debris.

As this is only inline to pump from tank, and we'd only used the water pump once when we first got it ( and it worked then )

once I put everything back together and poured antifreeze into the water tank, it pumped like a champ.

Hope yours is that simple.

17. ghacker

ghacker New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Sounds to me like there's a hole in the diaphram or the check valve is shot. At this point, I'd probably take the pump apart to check it out and/or buy a new one and keep the old one for parts.

18. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Replaced it with a new unit and it works perfectly. Damn thing, the camper is only six months old. Oh well.

19. ghacker

ghacker New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Since that is a 3rd party vendor, you might check with Shurflo. Wouldn't be surprised that it's a 1 yr. warranty.

20. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Ya, I have contacted them via their website so hopefully they will send me a replacement in time to return the new one to Camping World.