2013 Acura MDX

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by chrispt, May 20, 2019.

1. chrispt

chrispt Member

So we are about to pull the trigger on a 2013 Acura MDX. We have a 2007 Fleetwood Niagara with a GVWR of 3970 lbs. We don't intend to tow with any water in it so I'd guess it will be a bit lower than that. We have a WDH that came with the trailer when we got it. I know the MDX with tow package can do 5000 lbs. Does this sound reasonable to everyone? I know the previous owner had a Volvo XC90 also with 5000 lbs tow capacity.

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Do you have info on the GVWR on that model? Some cars are listed as being able to tow a certain amount but don't actually have the payload capacity to support the tongue weight of what something that weight would require, especially when you add passengers.

3. chrispt

chrispt Member

It looks like it is 5,952lbs

4. chrispt

chrispt Member

So after digging some more I've basically ruled this out. We have a WDH with our popup and they don't recommend using one on the MDX.

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Hmm. It might not need one. But it might! Have you checked out any Acura forums? I bet someone out there knows...

6. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

FWIW, Niagara high wall campers are only a few hundred pounds below their gross weight before you pack any of your gear. Also you should expect a ~450-500 lb tongue with full propane bottles and a battery on the tongue. What is the max tongue weight for the MDX? What are you towing with now?