2013 Toyota Tacoma brake controller

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by David Meeks, Aug 23, 2018.

1. David Meeks

David Meeks New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    I am about to purchase a 2016 Forest River Rockwood ESP 1910. It has trailer brakes and a 7 pin connector. My Tacoma also has a 7 pin connector. What will I need now in order to make this work? I assume a controller...will any controller work? Is it difficult to install?

2. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Hardest part for you will be finding a suitable location to mount it and what controller to get. We got a P3 because its easily removable and can be mounted almost anywhere.

David Meeks likes this.
  3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    You could spend as little as $30 on a brake controller, but most advise to get a proportional controller instead of the cheap timed ones. Proportional controllers adjust the braking force based on how hard you are hitting the brakes. Timed ones just long keep increasing the force the longer you hold your foot on the brake. For example, in a panic stop, a timed controller still starts off at low braking force until you’ve been on the brakes a few seconds. Conversely, a proportional controller senses that you’ve slammed on the brakes and hits the trailer brakes accordingly. On the other end of the spectrum, say you are lightly hitting the brakes over a long distance coming up to a red light. The proportional will also just use light force whereas the timed will keep ramping up the trailer brakes the longer you keep your foot on the pedal.

I chose the Tekonsha Primus IQ as one of the more inexpensive proportional controllers. It uses the same technology as its P2 and P3 big brothers, but has fewer bells and whistles that I wouldn’t use anyway.

David Meeks likes this.