2014 F-150 12V Trailer Power

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, Jun 6, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, quick question. My NTU 2014 F150 Max Tow package truck seems to not have the 12V trailer battery charge relay and fuse installed. I don't think the PO towed with it.

If I put the relay in the empty #9 spot, and a 30A fuse in #21, I should get power, yes?

And what in the heck is the generic name of those fuse cartridges? PAL? JCASE? Man, I'm getting old... fuses used to be little glass tubes, and then a single spade type, now we have dozens of non compatible configurations. Anyway...

Thanks!

2. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Not exactly sure what fusw the 2014 fords use but they might be the Mini Small APS / ATT Blade Fuses

3. The_Al_Mighty

The_Al_Mighty New Member

Oct 24, 2014
    When I got my used 2013 F150 from the dealer it did not come with the fuse and the relay. I had to buy them myself when I figured out that my truck was not sending 12v to the camper. After I got the fuse and relay I installed them in the correct locations and everything has been great.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The Mini Fuse is correct.

5. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Threw a fuse and a relay in, got a steady 14.4V, so YAY!
    The fuse is an MCASE fuse. JCASE fits, but it's taller than the stock MCASE.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    eoleson1 likes this.
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    When I got my new 2010 F150 Ford Truck I found an unmarked envelope in the glove box with a RELAY and a single DC Fuse in it. Had no idea what they were for haha...

Then when I hooked up my trailer for the first time I too noticed I did not have 12VDC coming from the truck side and I suspected the unmarked envelope in the glove box had something to do with that.

Went to the truck manual and found a couple of items were marked TRAILER TOW in the fuse panels. One was a relay socket and the other was a 12V Fuse position.

Like you I hesitated on inserting the two items from the unmarked envelope but eventually plugged them into my main fuse panel. All was well then with my 12VDC going back to the trailer but only when the ignition Key on the the truck was turned on.

I like this feature as I do follow the golden rule of not doing anything to the truck charge system with my never ending mods to the trailer. My golden rule is the truck charge system is always left as is so that I can get home with it when everything else goes belly up hehe...

You would think however that Ford could at least mark the envelope in the glove with TRAILER TOW or something...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    What is REALLY odd for this truck is it has the Max Tow package in it. I would think with that package, they'd at least put the relay and fuse in! But, she works now.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Same here hehe... I guess there is reason to not send 12V back to the trailers.. probably just we RV'ers need it hehe... It may have something to do with DOT and the SAFETY BRAKES... Those will require a 12VDC source on the trailer side to operate the trailer brakes at full capacity in the even the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck when on public roadways... DOT may be afraid one would use that 12VDC and not have a battery installed on the trailer perhaps...

Glad you got the 12VDC going. Mine does not have alot of DC current available to use but will keep my trailer batteries topped off when being towed...

I hook up my small fridge to the 12VDC side when we are about 2 hours out from our destination so I'm glad I have a few DC AMPS to use and not run down any of my trailer batteries before we even get started camping hehe.... I really don't like to run my fridge on propane when being towed going down the roads... We don't stock up our fridge until we get setup somewhere... Like to stop at a WALMART and get our frozen food for a couple of days camping just outside the camp ground area. We depend on our 5-day Coleman ice chest filled with ice cubes to keep food cold and most of the time the small fridge is just for soft drinks etc...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]