2017 Ford F150 5.0L

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jumpoff, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I just purchased a 2017 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat 5.0 with the longer bed. I haven't used it to tow anything yet. Has anyone here towed with this combo and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    If you're towing a PUP, more than enough TV for any size. Regarding larger TT or 5th wheels, you may need to look at it's GVWR.

3. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I'm towing a pup and thinking about a TT in the future but nothing larger than a 23 or 24ft. It does have the factory tow package and is rated at 8800. lbs for towing. It has a 3.31 axle.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You will have no problem towing, I have a 2004 F150 large V-8 and tow package and I have used to tow a 25 foot TT and never knew it was back there. You will have to remember that you are towing the PUP. Good Luck and happy Camping

jumpoff likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Look at your trucks payload sticker inside the door before you go TT shopping.

jumpoff likes this.
  6. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    You are better equipped to tow a pop-up and a travel trailer than most of the people that want to tow a popup here.
    Surprised someone hasn't asked if they can tow with a Smart Car.

jumpoff likes this.
  7. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Thanks but I won't be shopping for a TT anytime soon. I'm just hoping someone with the exact same set up will respond. I might just have to hitch 'er up and take her out for a test drive...unfortunately it will be awhile before I can go camping again. I replaced my 2003 Ford F150 supercrew that had the 4.6L . I know I'm going to be much more impressed with this truck. The HP difference between the trucks is about 150. The torque is also much higher.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I bought my truck used in 2011 to pull a small tt. My PUP is a lot lighter and if I ever get it on the road, I'll be able to see out the back window. I am so thankful I didn't have the money for the tt, because I really like the PUP so much better. The only thing I would change, which doesn't include any mods or remodels, would be the a/c.

jumpoff likes this.
  9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Oh yeah, should be a world of difference between the two trucks. Heck, our current Sienna pulls stronger than my 02 Supercrew 4.6 did. The 3.5 V6 in the van actually has more horsepower, but less torque than the 4.6 in the truck did. A modern transmission with more than 4 gears helps a ton too.

I test drove a 5.0 F-150 once and couldn’t help but grin every time I touched the gas. That Coyote engine just sounds so great.

jumpoff likes this.
  10. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

My wife drives an 07 Sienna Van.. I love that thing. To me a minivan is absolutely the most versatile and efficient vehicle platform there is. I just don't wanna ruin it using it to tow stuff. It doesn't have a tow package.

11. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I finally got a chance over the weekend to hitch up the Utah and go for about a 20 mile test drive with my 2017 Ford F150. I bought the truck with 9600 miles on it. It was factory ordered by the previous owner. Apparently after he bought it he had a change of heart and went for a sport utility vehicle. The hardest part about taking the truck for a shakedown run was taking everything off of the camper that is stored in my garage. It took me 30 minutes just to extract the camper from the cocoon of stuff that had accumulated around it . I have pulled this camper with 3 other vehicles including a 2016 GMC Sierra Crew with the 5.3 and a 3.42 axle. I have to say the extra HP of the 5.0 Ford (about 30 more HP than the GMC) was noticeable. The Ford also has a longer wheelbase because I have the longer box. It towed well and it rode very smoothly. I would definitely recommend the truck with the longer box if you are going to camp often. Heading to Tennessee next week. The trip up I26 and I40 should be a good test of the trucks pulling power.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I say this all the time. I cant believe they sell so many short bed trucks! I laugh every time I see a Pickup with a 4wheeler, Sled, Bike or plywood sitting on the tailgate. When I haul my wheeler I can add a cooler behide it and still close the tailgate[A]

jumpoff likes this.
  13. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    That's a good point. I work for an auto dealership group. We don't even have any long bed light duty trucks in stock although they can be ordered. It's amazing how quickly you fill up the bed of a short bed crew cab when you go camping.

14. jnc

The only reason I have my F350 is because I could not find a F150 extended cab, Long bed, 4x4 that was made in this century.

15. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

I can believe that. When I first saw the truck I bought I didn't realize it was the long bed. When I realized it was the long bed I had some reservations about buying it because of the extra length. I thought it would be more cumbersome to drive. Since the advent of reverse cameras these longer vehicles are more manageable because you can back up to within inches of an object behind you without striking it. The longer wheelbase also gives you a smoother ride in my opinion and may provide a more stable towing platform as well. I wish I could have afforded an F350 !!!

16. jnc

My 350 rides like a tank until I put some weight in the bed than it rides like an old Caddy. I have been Driving Trucks of all kinds for a life time so I know much room is behind me and often have the DW getting excited when I'm parking. When I mentioned earlier about finding one made in this century that was the DW's demand if I wanted a Truck so I had to what I had to do.

jumpoff likes this.
  17. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    When I mentioned earlier about finding one made in this century that was the DW's demand if I wanted a Truck so I had to what I had to do.[/QUOTE]

Keeping Momma happy always makes good good sense.