2017 Ford F150 5.0L

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by jumpoff, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I just purchased a 2017 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat 5.0 with the longer bed. I haven't used it to tow anything yet. Has anyone here towed with this combo and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    If you're towing a PUP, more than enough TV for any size. Regarding larger TT or 5th wheels, you may need to look at it's GVWR.

3. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I'm towing a pup and thinking about a TT in the future but nothing larger than a 23 or 24ft. It does have the factory tow package and is rated at 8800. lbs for towing. It has a 3.31 axle.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You will have no problem towing, I have a 2004 F150 large V-8 and tow package and I have used to tow a 25 foot TT and never knew it was back there. You will have to remember that you are towing the PUP. Good Luck and happy Camping

jumpoff likes this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Look at your trucks payload sticker inside the door before you go TT shopping.

jumpoff likes this.
  6. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    You are better equipped to tow a pop-up and a travel trailer than most of the people that want to tow a popup here.
    Surprised someone hasn't asked if they can tow with a Smart Car.

jumpoff likes this.
  7. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Thanks but I won't be shopping for a TT anytime soon. I'm just hoping someone with the exact same set up will respond. I might just have to hitch 'er up and take her out for a test drive...unfortunately it will be awhile before I can go camping again. I replaced my 2003 Ford F150 supercrew that had the 4.6L . I know I'm going to be much more impressed with this truck. The HP difference between the trucks is about 150. The torque is also much higher.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I bought my truck used in 2011 to pull a small tt. My PUP is a lot lighter and if I ever get it on the road, I'll be able to see out the back window. I am so thankful I didn't have the money for the tt, because I really like the PUP so much better. The only thing I would change, which doesn't include any mods or remodels, would be the a/c.

jumpoff likes this.
  9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Oh yeah, should be a world of difference between the two trucks. Heck, our current Sienna pulls stronger than my 02 Supercrew 4.6 did. The 3.5 V6 in the van actually has more horsepower, but less torque than the 4.6 in the truck did. A modern transmission with more than 4 gears helps a ton too.

I test drove a 5.0 F-150 once and couldn’t help but grin every time I touched the gas. That Coyote engine just sounds so great.

jumpoff likes this.
  10. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

My wife drives an 07 Sienna Van.. I love that thing. To me a minivan is absolutely the most versatile and efficient vehicle platform there is. I just don't wanna ruin it using it to tow stuff. It doesn't have a tow package.