2017 Total Eclipse

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by strangebird22, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Zombieitch

Zombieitch New Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Ha, I don't think the two 30 amp hookups and lack running water/restrooms, would not be sufficient to say the last.

Some close by camp grounds are Suttons Bluff and, Johnsons shut-ins state park. I will take a closer look at the map but from the zoomed out view the area appears to be golden.

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    ill look those up. any ideas are welcome. [SUN]

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    what I have experienced for private CG on the line of totality is they are already being booked (public CG reservations not avail yet).

4. Zombieitch

Zombieitch New Member

Oct 18, 2014
    I don't think the public camp grounds are taking reservations that far out yet.

The private camp ground we have is more or less family land. 60 acres of fun and recreation just more limited on power connections than any of us would like.

5. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
    Public CG are not, and when they open up it is going to be a rush for reservations.

What I did was solicit Private CG along the path until I got one that would reserve a number of spots for us.
    They STILL don't have the 2017 Calendar organized, but we have a min. of 10 spaces and they have Tent sites AND Dry camping area over their 22 acres.

We are 16 miles from the center line, but close enough AND it won't occur until after 17:00, and last for 2 m 10 sec.

One Priv. CG I contacted had already had reservations for a group of 200 Airstreams!

We would not have wanted to observe the eclipse there anyway because of ALL the GLARE!! [LOL]

6. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
  7. ChocoChock01

Mar 7, 2012
  8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We made reservations at lbl canal, which looks like its less than 15 miles from the GE point.

9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I have reservations at Lewis and Clark state park just outside st Joe Missouri.

10. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    There are a few members already booked at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. Check out the Southeastern Rally information on this website. Last time I checked the private campgrounds were almost full and the state park down there was being booked. However, there are many campgrounds down in Western Kentucky so you should be able to find one along the path.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We book the LBL Canal COE site the day it opened for the friday before the 21, mid february. Within 1 week all reservable sites were booked. The have a lot of walkin sites, but we did not want to chance it.

For my digital camera I have a 300 mm walking around lense. Just ordered 2x multiplier which will take me up to 600 mm. I think 600 mm will get the sun the right size. Need to get some filters and start playing around with sun shots. I think I'm going to get out my old OM1 film camera and start playing with sun shots with BW film.

12. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    Holy Cow! Jackson Hole WY is almost dead on the red line!